NGD: 1960 Fender Duo Sonic

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Axolotl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD: 1960 Fender Duo Sonic

Post by Axolotl » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:30 pm

The lil guitar that could! Loving this thing.
I got it on ebay about a year and a half for a really good price and had been waiting at my friend's place in NYC since then. Last week I took a trip there and I was finally able to check it out in person. The wait was really long but worth it. Amazing little thing!. It's all original except for the paint and the stupid rotary pickup selector, and it came with the original case. It was neglected for a long time, the frets were black and grimy. But even in its neglected state and with decades old strings this guitar was feeling really good.

I never had played a 22 scale before, it's lots of fun. Sure some chordal stuff may feel cramped in the higher frets, but I really got the hang of it at once.

Supposedly it was bought from a state and it had only one owner before me.

Sure, the refin isn't the prettiest nor the best done but I kinda of like it although I may restore this to the correct desert sand sometime soon. The black, oily rosewood fretboard with clay dots is pure joy.

I also replaced the saddles for compensated brass ones for a better intonation. The pickups are loud, punchy and clear. The frets are in great shape, the action is low and the neck feels amazing. Really stoked with this one, I wasn't expecting to buy another vintage guitar in this market, but the opportunity was not be missed.

JRA
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: NGD: 1960 Fender Duo Sonic

Post by JRA » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:56 pm

Thats a nice one! Interested to see pictures when you have it restored to the original desert sand finish! I found a nice 1964 22.5" scale Mustang this weekend. Plays and sounds great, but I have to get used to the shorter scale though!! Congrats with your Duo Sonic :)

Tiny C
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tiny C » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:37 am

Looks awesome. Congrats!

ohm_mho
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ohm_mho » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:56 pm

Very nice! That neck looks like a real treat :?

Axolotl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Axolotl » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:08 am

ohm_mho wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:56 pm
Very nice! That neck looks like a real treat :?
Thanks peeps. It's been a few weeks already and I can't get enough of this little guitar. I'm just amazed at the feel, sound, ridiculously low action and for some reason I even love the very tiny frets it came from factory with. The compensated saddles made of course a huge difference.

The neck is a real treat indeed. Fast and comfortable to the point it's spoiling my left hand. I've been playing it so much that when I grab one of my Jazzmasters feels pretty much like a Bass VI in comparison :D

Will play it for a lot more before I decide to temporary part with it for a desert sand refin. pickup selector restoration should happen sooner though.