Info on changes to Jag and JM pickups 50’s-60’s

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Caddy65
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Info on changes to Jag and JM pickups 50’s-60’s

Post by Caddy65 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:35 am

I bought a new Jazzmaster right after high school graduation in the spring of 1965. It was bought before the ‘65 models were out, so either it was a actually a ‘64 or a ‘65 made before the new models came out. Sadly, I sold it in the mid 70’s while raising four young sons alone and needed the money. Regretted it ever since. When the Squier VM Jazzmasters were first released I bought one in sunburst as the original had been.

Back when I got it my lead player had either a ‘63 or ‘64 Jag. Shortly after getting the VM JM I bought a surf green VM Jag. I put a set of the Fender Vintage ‘62’s in the Jazzmaster to make it more like my old one had sounded. I know Fender changed the pickups in 1965 when CBS took over. I figured that the ‘62’s were likely like the ones in my old ones had been. I also put a set of the Fender Vintage ‘65 pickups in the VM Jag, Could locate any earlier ‘60’s Jag pickups, but I really like both sets.

What I have been looking for and been unable to find is when Fender made changes to Jazzmaster and Jaguar pickups and what those changes may have been. I am hoping that one of you with so much knowledge may know that info or have a link to that info. Been curious about this for years, so thanks for any info.