Armwear...

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
zhivago
Mods
Mods

Armwear...

Post by zhivago » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:21 pm

Resident Spartan.

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Armwear...

Post by parry » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:46 am

I will always love that scar across the upper horn 8)

You said that was from a pin or something you had on your strap? I dunno why I remember that...
that was a lonnnnnnng time ago!
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

badform
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by badform » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:02 am

Sexy. Now I want a black Jazzy. :? :-*

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:05 am

Ahhh... nice.

I read it as 'Arm-wear' like those sleeves the metal doods wear to insulate their forearms from the rigors of shredding vs. un-contoured bodies.:

I have a decent amount of wear on my forearm from NOT wearing a doom-sleeve during my musical travails with my Charvel Surfcasters. There have been times when the skin has rubbed raw enough to bleed after a show. I'll have to inspect my #1 to see if there has been any real wear to the finish or binding. I've been abusing my arm on that one for 25+ years!

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:37 am

SignoftheDragon wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:05 am
Ahhh... nice.

I read it as 'Arm-wear' like those sleeves the metal doods wear to insulate their forearms from the rigors of shredding vs. un-contoured bodies.:

I have a decent amount of wear on my forearm from NOT wearing a doom-sleeve during my musical travails with my Charvel Surfcasters. There have been times when the skin has rubbed raw enough to bleed after a show. I'll have to inspect my #1 to see if there has been any real wear to the finish or binding. I've been abusing my arm on that one for 25+ years!
:D

Yes. After exclusively playing hollowbodies for the last few years, I can relate to this - it hurts! Goddamn... I've never appreciated the contours on JMs/Jags more!

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:37 am

I'll always love that JM of yours, forever classy looking.

If this is a thread to show armwear then I submit my Jag with it's weird sticker-gapped wear pattern. Not my own wear, true, but I'll take it...

My Black 'n' Tort has nowhere as much class as yours and rather looks like a snotty upstart in comparison πŸ˜‚...

Last edited by JSett on Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:28 am

parry wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:46 am

You said that was from a pin or something you had on your strap? I dunno why I remember that...
Wow! Cool that you remember it! Yes, that is correct, I had an old Soviet medal/pin on the end of the strap that would attach on the upper horn. After so many gigs it rubbed on the guitar probably when it would be in the gig bag. I took this Jazzmaster everywhere with me for three years straight.

It had a clean black refin when I started gigging it. :-*

I occasionally toy with the idea of refinishing the body again to its original Sunburst, but then all the wear I put on it from all these gigs years ago would be erased forever.
Resident Spartan.

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:43 am

zhivago wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:28 am

Wow! Cool that you remember it! Yes, that is correct, I had an old Soviet medal/pin on the end of the strap that would attach on the upper horn. After so many gigs it rubbed on the guitar probably when it would be in the gig bag. I took this Jazzmaster everywhere with me for three years straight.

I occasionally toy with the idea of refinishing the body again to its original Sunburst, but then all the wear I put on it from all these gigs years ago would be erased forever.
Thanks, Yannis! Weirdly, i did recall it was some type of Soviet pin or some such thing, hahaha...
I didn't want to get that specific and give away my fading (with age) memory! So good news there, I guess :D

Oh, please no. I mean.. you can do what you want (obviously) - but THAT guitar is so absolutely perfect. The model for black/tort JM love!
Those must be some great memories though. That's the part that'd be tough to move away from, for me. Now... it's not actually nitro, is it? I seem to recall it's a rattlecan refin? Not even clear coat? Or is that where the memory fade begins? lol

Disclaimer: not a stalker, hahaha... just a long-time admirer of your guitar and for some reason the history stuck with me. Can't remember people's names as I'm shaking hands with them, but ask me about a Jazzmaster I've never played and I'm locked-in! Hahaha, oh, geez
:fp:

Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Flurko » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:00 am

Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:21 pm
I remember falling in love with Jazzmasters before joining OSG a long, long time ago, and this particular guitar was a big part of it !
It felt at the time that you had to have a really cool black/tort JM to be a mod here :D
Last edited by Flurko on Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:06 am

Pretty sure that part is true though... :D

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:50 pm

Flurko wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:00 am
Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:21 pm
I remember falling in love with Jazzmasters before joining OSG a long, long time ago, and this particular guitar was a big part of it !
It felt at the time that you had to have a really cool black/tort JM to be a mod here :D
Hehehe!! You are right, back then a few of the mods definitely had a thing for black + tort! :D :)
Resident Spartan.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:05 pm

Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:43 am
Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:28 am

Thanks, Yannis! Weirdly, i did recall it was some type of Soviet pin or some such thing, hahaha...
I didn't want to get that specific and give away my fading (with age) memory! So good news there, I guess :D

Oh, please no. I mean.. you can do what you want (obviously) - but THAT guitar is so absolutely perfect. The model for black/tort JM love!
Those must be some great memories though. That's the part that'd be tough to move away from, for me. Now... it's not actually nitro, is it? I seem to recall it's a rattlecan refin? Not even clear coat? Or is that where the memory fade begins? lol

Disclaimer: not a stalker, hahaha... just a long-time admirer of your guitar and for some reason the history stuck with me. Can't remember people's names as I'm shaking hands with them, but ask me about a Jazzmaster I've never played and I'm locked-in! Hahaha, oh, geez
:fp:

Your memory is very good indeed! :)

So this guitar initially had a stripped '61 Ash body when I first got it...I really wanted a black Jazzmaster at the time, and couldn't bring myself to cover the Ash body...so I bought a '61 Alder body that had in the past been sprayed Sonic or Daphne Blue over the original Sunburst.

The Blue had been stripped back off to reveal the original colour, but unfortunately bits of the blue had melted into the Sunburst and the body was a bit of a mess, so I sanded it a tad to make sure the new paint would go on and stay on, and sprayed it with a few thin coats of nitro, but yes, you remember well, from a rattlecan, as back then (and probably still nowadays), you couldn't get nitro any other way in the UK.

I skipped the clear as I wanted a flatter look...over the years sometimes I have regretted not doing the clear, but it is now part of the guitar's history. :)

Here is a photo after I resprayed it:

The pin/badge/medal I had on my strap was one like this:

You can sort of see it in this picture, from a show at Southend in 2007:

Here's some belt buckle wear after a million gigs/rehearsals etc...the original Sunburst coming through...I want to see the Fender Custom Shop have a go at re-creating this one! :D

Resident Spartan.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:17 pm

Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:05 pm
Looks like a solar flare πŸ”₯
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:43 pm

johnnysomersett wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:17 pm
Looks like a solar flare πŸ”₯
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Resident Spartan.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:56 pm

not helping my desire to build a black over sunburst guitar
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'