Cheapest way into a vintage offset?

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Post Reply
User avatar
adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2001
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:28 am
Contact:

Re: Cheapest way into a vintage offset?

Post by adamrobertt » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:55 am

Yeah that's the one I meant. Refin, hacked body, 0 original electronics. Should be $2500, not $5000.

User avatar
gishuk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1288
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:57 am
Location: Devon, UK

Re: Cheapest way into a vintage offset?

Post by gishuk » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:28 am

I also think these days a lot of shops list on Reverb at high prices for advertising essentially and will sell for a fair bit less if you contact them and buy off their own website, which isnt entirely surprising given the increase in fees.

User avatar
cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 4376
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:01 am
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: Cheapest way into a vintage offset?

Post by cestlamort » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:38 am

I think Reverb’s lack of disincentive for listing something high and then taking an offer has caused everything to creep up as well.

User avatar
Highnumbers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 148
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:21 am
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Cheapest way into a vintage offset?

Post by Highnumbers » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:25 am

When I list something on Reverb, my goal is to NOT sell it on Reverb.

That's how absurd the fees have gotten over the past year. Sorry but taking an 8.5% chunk out of a high-end guitar is far beyond reasonable. The "cap" on fees is set at $10,000 so you are paying the same percentage rate for a $9,999 guitar and a $100 guitar. I'm much less willing to fork over that sort of percentage for something that's nearly five-figures.

If that means listing up a high price on Reverb and making it much easier to find me on other corners of the internet (for much less money), then so be it.

Side note -- there is a lot of animosity in this thread towards high prices. Perhaps offsets have merely been undervalued for many years and the market is finally correcting itself? Just another take... you may be conditioned to seeing prices that have historically been lower than they should, if the market for other guitar models are anything to go by. If you missed the boat before this market correction, that doesn't make everybody else a predatory capitalist. Go buy the least expensive sunburst offset you can find and sooner (rather than later) it'll be a damn good move, given the prices of refins right now.

User avatar
adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2001
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:28 am
Contact:

Re: Cheapest way into a vintage offset?

Post by adamrobertt » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:19 pm

Highnumbers wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:25 am
When I list something on Reverb, my goal is to NOT sell it on Reverb.

That's how absurd the fees have gotten over the past year. Sorry but taking an 8.5% chunk out of a high-end guitar is far beyond reasonable. The "cap" on fees is set at $10,000 so you are paying the same percentage rate for a $9,999 guitar and a $100 guitar. I'm much less willing to fork over that sort of percentage for something that's nearly five-figures.

If that means listing up a high price on Reverb and making it much easier to find me on other corners of the internet (for much less money), then so be it.

Side note -- there is a lot of animosity in this thread towards high prices. Perhaps offsets have merely been undervalued for many years and the market is finally correcting itself? Just another take... you may be conditioned to seeing prices that have historically been lower than they should, if the market for other guitar models are anything to go by. If you missed the boat before this market correction, that doesn't make everybody else a predatory capitalist. Go buy the least expensive sunburst offset you can find and sooner (rather than later) it'll be a damn good move, given the prices of refins right now.
name checks out

User avatar
O Drones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:17 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Cheapest way into a vintage offset?

Post by O Drones » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:24 pm

:D
The Cherry Wave

User avatar
Highnumbers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 148
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:21 am
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Cheapest way into a vintage offset?

Post by Highnumbers » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:36 pm

adamrobertt wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:19 pm
name checks out
[/quote]

Doesn't refer to that, but ummkay.

User avatar
Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2535
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:24 pm

Re: Cheapest way into a vintage offset?

Post by Mechanical Birds » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:19 am

andy_tchp wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:02 am
graceless wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:08 pm
bterry wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:41 pm


It gets worse...

https://www.mmguitarbar.com/listing/196 ... e/38099187
Oh my god:

"A custom color example, this guitar is extremely original save for a body-only nitro lacquer refinish back to the original color, matching the headstock face which retains its original Olympic White gloss."

A little misleading there, no? I'd say it's no longer a custom color once it's been refinished :derp: "Extremely original except for the most important thing"

I mean, honestly, it's original or not. No such thing as 'extremely original'. Radical, bro!
Haha, oh, but it comes with a photo of the first, sorry, 'original' owner too - what a bargain! And those guys position themselves as 'experts' on offsets. :fp:
Yeah what the fuck it’s seriously like they’re trying to annoy and lose customers with this shit it’s ridiculous

User avatar
Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2535
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:24 pm

Re: Cheapest way into a vintage offset?

Post by Mechanical Birds » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:20 am

Kinda want pusheen to see this and comment about how that happens. I know he’s been out of there for a while now but still

User avatar
alvinstraight
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:25 am
Location: Oslo

Re: Cheapest way into a vintage offset?

Post by alvinstraight » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:51 am

1958/1965 Factory Partsmaster. Only 15k.

https://reverend-guitar-man.myshopify.c ... ium=Social

User avatar
Axolotl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1057
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:06 am

Re: Cheapest way into a vintage offset?

Post by Axolotl » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:21 am

"Professionally refinished in Fiesta Red 3 months ago .
Pre-CBS JM - rebuilt from 3 different 1959 Jazzmasters. "

10k

https://reverb.com/item/38965819-fender ... -headstock

User avatar
pad
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1171
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:05 pm
Location: Kassel, Germany.

Re: Cheapest way into a vintage offset?

Post by pad » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:12 am

Axolotl wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:21 am
"Professionally refinished in Fiesta Red 3 months ago .
Pre-CBS JM - rebuilt from 3 different 1959 Jazzmasters. "

10k

https://reverb.com/item/38965819-fender ... -headstock
id pay that if the furniture is included.

love that one! :?

User avatar
adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2001
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:28 am
Contact:

Re: Cheapest way into a vintage offset?

Post by adamrobertt » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:09 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:20 am
Kinda want pusheen to see this and comment about how that happens. I know he’s been out of there for a while now but still
Meh, I'm sure he'll probably have a measured and reasonable answer lol. I doubt he thinks it's cool to ask $15k for a refin partscaster, but he probably also understands why prices are high at the moment due to his experience.

User avatar
UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 6379
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:05 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Cheapest way into a vintage offset?

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:14 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:44 pm
oh if you don't mind it not being pre-80. i'd go with vista jagmasters
Just saw one on Gumtree the other day with a £700 asking price. Nuts, but then again, if you look at the current price of JMs/Jags from the same time/place it's maybe not as nuts as it first appears. A recognisable part of growing old is starting to think everything is overpriced.

Vintage schmintage, I say, unless you're a millionaire. Parts guitars will have to do. And they do. They do just fine.

User avatar
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 16316
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:30 am
Location: glasgow

Re: Cheapest way into a vintage offset?

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:29 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:14 am
s_mcsleazy wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:44 pm
oh if you don't mind it not being pre-80. i'd go with vista jagmasters
Just saw one on Gumtree the other day with a £700 asking price. Nuts, but then again, if you look at the current price of JMs/Jags from the same time/place it's maybe not as nuts as it first appears. A recognisable part of growing old is starting to think everything is overpriced.

Vintage schmintage, I say, unless you're a millionaire. Parts guitars will have to do. And they do. They do just fine.
honestly, once you get a parts guitar dialed in and setup nicely, it can be way better than most factory guitars.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Post Reply