NGD 1963 body-only refin Jazzmaster

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD 1963 body-only refin Jazzmaster

Post by Pacafeliz » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:17 am

:w00t: AMAZING!!!
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

algeriet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD 1963 body-only refin Jazzmaster

Post by algeriet » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:48 pm

mbene085 wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:53 am
I totally didn't realize that was you...DO NOT SHIP THAT GUITAR ANYWHERE. It sounds like karma rewarded you, not only by returning your stolen guitar, but by bringing you this incredible pre CBS JM basically for free.

To be honest, especially with your recent history, I'd take it as a sign from the guitar gods to just enjoy this JM as it is for a few years and not worry about refinishing. It doesn't look bad at all to me.

You mentioned that he replaced the pickups with Duncan Hots but then asked about pickup rewinding - did he include the originals? He said they "got weak", which could be anything from demagnetization to broken coils. Check them with a multimeter - what do they read? Rewinding and remagnetizing are both simple things that any competent pickup winder can do, and restoring the original pickups to working order is 100% worth it if you have them.
Haha, I hear ya, but I just can't fully enjoy having it in the finish it is now. Seriously, it is very similar to Jake E. Lee's Charvel signature:

Too 80's for a vintage Jazzmaster. Metallic Pearl White? Nah, not happening.

Yeah the originals came with, I haven't got a multimeter so I haven't been able to look into it just yet. Honestly, these Duncans sound pretty good, and I've got AV65 pickups, the ones that were made for the '58 60th Anniversary models as well as Antiquity I and IIs.
PorkyPrimeCut wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:02 am

I'll just put a big +1 under this. Very wise words.

As to Leipzig, yeah, it's a pretty cool city. A hell of a lot smaller & more chilled out than Berlin (and London, where I lived for almost 2 decades). The food culture could be more varied but, hey, it's only just getting started here.
Yeah I heard that only like four years ago there weren't any consistent bars and stuff? Anyways, here's to the next twenty years of gentrification! :fp: 🍻
Leipzig seems to me to be the perfect place to start a guitar workshop and start building offsets. 😎
mgeek wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:05 am

haha you're right! a proper shoreline gold refin would look excellent, especially once it's worn in a bit to match the neck. Do it! Deffo that over a sunburst variant that wouldn't have happened back when it was made' Something authentic
Trust me when I tell you that figuring out which finish to go for this guitar is very stressful, haha!
Paul-T wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:05 am
[orse this. THis would have been a sunburst originally, returning it to that finish is a restoration - and not a refinish. Especially as you don't want to touch the headstock.
Yeah, this headstock ain't getting touched, No Siree!
Axolotl wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:09 pm
That's a great score!. Guitar looks beautiful and it's got an "A" width stamp, so the nut width is a bit narrower than usual (38mm IIRC). Hos does the neck feel? Congrats and looking forward to see the refinish.
So when I had a '64 Mustang with the 24", A nut width and jumbo frets (heresy done by whoever decided to go for those frets), even if the guitar sounded AMAZING, felt great and everything, that neck was tiny! Absolutely tiny! I love me a Jaguar, but the A nut width just didn't cut it for me. The jumbos didn't help either, haha!
On all my other JM's it's 42mm, so B I reckon. My Silverburst custom DSG "Azzmaster" has got a huuuuge '52 style U shaped Tele neck, as well as the 42mm nut. It's night and day. But I instantly feel comfortable with this '63 and its A nut width. I guess it works on longer scales basically, sort of like with the Jazz Bass. Do I wish it was a B? Yes. Does it bother me? No.
Pacafeliz wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:17 am
:w00t: AMAZING!!!
Haha tell me about it!