1964 Jazzmaster - thinking to purchase (logo problem)

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
User avatar
Guitarman555
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:36 pm

Re: 1964 Jazzmaster - thinking to purchase (logo problem)

Post by Guitarman555 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:49 am

Looks good to me. The span of dates of pickup(yellow stamp) and neck is fine. In general, spans in 64 were often over half a year. I mean eg Neck date from September 63 and pickup date from April 64 was not unusual.
Grey bottom pickups is also right and i think in 64 fender used both stamps both pencil dating of pickups.
What does the pencil code read?

User avatar
SashaB
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:17 am

Re: 1964 Jazzmaster - thinking to purchase (logo problem)

Post by SashaB » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:11 am

I can see 64 and then some letters likely (can't distinguish) on the pencil writing of the pickup

User avatar
SashaB
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:17 am

Re: 1964 Jazzmaster - thinking to purchase (logo problem)

Post by SashaB » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:38 pm

I see...
Just looked a bit surprising as on my '63 Jaguar all the dates are within a month...
Looks like something changed over there in the process in 64 😃

So any ideas on a fair price, since all looks legit?

User avatar
Guitarman555
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:36 pm

Re: 1964 Jazzmaster - thinking to purchase (logo problem)

Post by Guitarman555 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:11 am

SashaB wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:38 pm
I see...
Just looked a bit surprising as on my '63 Jaguar all the dates are within a month...
Looks like something changed over there in the process in 64 😃

So any ideas on a fair price, since all looks legit?
Please could you look at your Jaguar 1963 pickup how it is dated (pencil?) I am trying to identify jag pickup that I own, probably 63, please check out my thread her on OSG:
https://offsetguitars.com/forums/viewto ... 1&t=127673

User avatar
SashaB
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:17 am

Re: 1964 Jazzmaster - thinking to purchase (logo problem)

Post by SashaB » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:58 am

Guitarman555 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:11 am
SashaB wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:38 pm
I see...
Just looked a bit surprising as on my '63 Jaguar all the dates are within a month...
Looks like something changed over there in the process in 64 😃

So any ideas on a fair price, since all looks legit?
Please could you look at your Jaguar 1963 pickup how it is dated (pencil?) I am trying to identify jag pickup that I own, probably 63, please check out my thread her on OSG:
https://offsetguitars.com/forums/viewto ... 1&t=127673
Hi!

I am traveling this week, I will manage to have a look a bit later.
I found a photo (not a close up) that I have, but I can't distinguish any writing at all on it. Probably because of the photo...

User avatar
señormisterioso
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:35 am

Re: 1964 Jazzmaster - thinking to purchase (logo problem)

Post by señormisterioso » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:18 pm

Do you have a proper picture of the pocket? it looks refinished from here

User avatar
SashaB
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:17 am

Re: 1964 Jazzmaster - thinking to purchase (logo problem)

Post by SashaB » Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:29 pm

señormisterioso wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:18 pm
Do you have a proper picture of the pocket? it looks refinished from here
I don't have any better picture of the pocket unfortunately...
Why do you think it is refinished? Looks yellow on one side and black on another - isn't it how it should be?

User avatar
Guitarman555
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:36 pm

Re: 1964 Jazzmaster - thinking to purchase (logo problem)

Post by Guitarman555 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:28 am

SashaB wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:58 am
Guitarman555 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:11 am
SashaB wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:38 pm
I see...
Just looked a bit surprising as on my '63 Jaguar all the dates are within a month...
Looks like something changed over there in the process in 64 😃

So any ideas on a fair price, since all looks legit?
Please could you look at your Jaguar 1963 pickup how it is dated (pencil?) I am trying to identify jag pickup that I own, probably 63, please check out my thread her on OSG:
https://offsetguitars.com/forums/viewto ... 1&t=127673
Hi!

I am traveling this week, I will manage to have a look a bit later.
I found a photo (not a close up) that I have, but I can't distinguish any writing at all on it. Probably because of the photo...
Hey Sasha, an chance to look at 63 pickup? Thanks!

User avatar
Pat05
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:46 pm

Re: 1964 Jazzmaster - thinking to purchase (logo problem)

Post by Pat05 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:54 pm

How much are they asking for? And what about you? If it plays well, sounds well and you feel the guitar ,go for it! Unless you want to pay 24K for an under the bed 1964 Jazzmaster. ;D

User avatar
whitewatersky
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 304
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:52 pm

Re: 1964 Jazzmaster - thinking to purchase (logo problem)

Post by whitewatersky » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:52 pm

B.T. wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:57 pm
PJazzmaster wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:22 pm
ainm wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:05 pm
I’m no expert, but is that decal is anywhere near the location needed to be able to fit the missing piece? Seems both too high and too far right.
Actually it‘s more or less totally in the right spot for that era. Check: 1965 JM
Yep, it just looks weirdly out of place with the rest of it worn off
I agree - crazy how it seems to work once you see the whole logo

User avatar
SashaB
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:17 am

Re: 1964 Jazzmaster - thinking to purchase (logo problem)

Post by SashaB » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:42 am

Pat05 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:54 pm
How much are they asking for? And what about you? If it plays well, sounds well and you feel the guitar ,go for it! Unless you want to pay 24K for an under the bed 1964 Jazzmaster. ;D
$10k

User avatar
Marc
Expat
Expat
Posts: 1182
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:25 pm
Location: South West UK

Re: 1964 Jazzmaster - thinking to purchase (logo problem)

Post by Marc » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:34 am

I had a 66 Jag that just said “Fender”.

I think that if they ran out of decals they would use another model and just chop the model name off.

User avatar
señormisterioso
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:35 am

Re: 1964 Jazzmaster - thinking to purchase (logo problem)

Post by señormisterioso » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:02 am

SashaB wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:29 pm
señormisterioso wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:18 pm
Do you have a proper picture of the pocket? it looks refinished from here
I don't have any better picture of the pocket unfortunately...
Why do you think it is refinished? Looks yellow on one side and black on another - isn't it how it should be?
It should be wood on one side and black on the other yes. It should not have a hard cut between the paint and the would more like a black fade in between the wood and the black. Very hard to tell. The blue tape on the pictures doesn't allow to discern that subtlety. If its in yours hands now take a look at the pocket and compare it to some google ima

The type of three color sunburst it has does look right. It all points to be legit but I would force myself to be as paranoid as possible with these things :)


Good Luck!

Post Reply