Why is there no aluminum neck guitar thread? INCUMMING NGD

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Why is there no aluminum neck guitar thread? INCUMMING NGD

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:54 am

This is my heavily modified Kramer. Long ago I saw that Brad had one of these and I couldn't resist. I have the original body, as someone must have sold the neck of the guitar body that I have modified below.

Kramers are 25" scale from what I can tell. I've never noticed neck bowing. I sort of wish I had discovered these sooner, as I am just more used to the performance and feel of wood necks-- but this thing has crazy sustain and I really love having it as my 'shred' guitar even if I can't really shred. I can grate.

Long live Kramer aluminium-necked guitars!

mcatano
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcatano » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:43 pm

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:58 am
I haven’t been able to raise it yet because none of my Allen wrenches fit them (which, what the fuck how?)
Allen bolts exist in both metric and SAE, you might just need a different set of wrenches.

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:05 am

Jaguar018 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:54 am
This is my heavily modified Kramer. Long ago I saw that Brad had one of these and I couldn't resist. I have the original body, as someone must have sold the neck of the guitar body that I have modified below.

Kramers are 25" scale from what I can tell. I've never noticed neck bowing. I sort of wish I had discovered these sooner, as I am just more used to the performance and feel of wood necks-- but this thing has crazy sustain and I really love having it as my 'shred' guitar even if I can't really shred. I can grate.

Long live Kramer aluminium-necked guitars!
That is so sick, great colour.

I used to also have a Jazzmaster renecked with a Kramer neck, thing was a machine https://offsetguitars.com/forums/viewto ... 6&t=104131
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:42 am

estesNRB wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:27 pm
That thing is rad, and probably like 6k cheaper than a Bean. I've got what i'd assume is the bass version of your guitar. I bought it at a garage sale for 5 bucks, it looks as though it fell down a flight of stairs but most of the parts are still there. One day i'll attempt to repair it.
$5 is fucking insane whaaaatttt

ffffoureyes
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ffffoureyes » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:45 pm

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:58 am

Arrived pretty much as described. For some dumbass reason the tuners are secured using these small rivet things and one is missing on the D tuner so I’m not sure how to fix that. Seller disclosed this and said there weren’t any noticible problems because of it and so far that seems accurate. The e string is rubbing against the pickup/unplayable though and the height adjust screws for that saddle are kind of fucked up so I haven’t been able to raise it yet because none of my Allen wrenches fit them (which, what the fuck how?)

Flat/huge radius does feel weird. I’m really excited to put it thru its paces
I had the allen wrench issue with my Bean, needed a weird little special one. Think it was Fender branded even.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:57 pm

It’s weird it’s like there are no edges now it’s just perfectly circular

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:36 pm

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:57 pm
It’s weird it’s like there are no edges now it’s just perfectly circular
Oh, that's been stripped, then. Probably from someone using imperial wrenches when it was metric, or vice versa.

Gonna need some new screws for that, then.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:12 pm

I have no idea how to see what they are either so ordering replacements is kind of a fuck. Kinda debating springing for the Mastery Tele bridge but idk if it’ll work or not

AlumNeck
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AlumNeck » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:50 am

I prefer aluminum and tried quite a few variations I think they are an interesting alternative to wood.

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:57 am

AlumNeck wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:50 am
I prefer aluminum and tried quite a few variations I think they are an interesting alternative to wood.
Hi Matt! Which one do you like the best? :)

AlumNeck
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AlumNeck » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:19 pm

X-Ray Spex wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:57 am
AlumNeck wrote:
Its like flavors of ice cream depends on the song or the tune.
That said if I had to pick one it would be the Travis Bean Designs Panback. This is the best guitar I have ever played.
The entire back body, neck and headstock is one piece of aluminum. All together the guitar is only 7lbs and sounds and feels incredible.

repoman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by repoman » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:54 pm

I've built some like the Wandre Harvester-ish builds....never done a full aluminum neck, I might try making one when I finally get my CNC mill I've been building up and running.

I built a "Waid" bass too and it's the only one still intact, I cannibalized the 12 string and Twist baritone for other stuff...I'll probably redo the bass one day.

That Travis Bean is crazy. They made those out of 7075 which is a much harder and more expensive grade of aluminum than a lot of aluminum necks which is 6061 which is really soft., and the neck/body anchor part is all one big piece of milled stock. I stopped messing around with them right now because 6061 will get big scratches in it if you look at it wrong and it is a massive pain in the ass (and NASTY) to work with for finishing.

AlumNeck
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AlumNeck » Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:50 pm

These are so amazing just gorgeous! Just phenomenal builds let me know when you are up and running, I"ve been meaning to add a Wandre, Harvester, type build to the collection.

The Panaback Travis Beans are 7075 so is the Amuinati Nebula deluxe I have.... hard to tell the difference in metal as a player but the machines know! I have found anodizing to feel really good on necks but also polished necks.... there is a smoothness to aluminum that feels right to me..
repoman wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:54 pm
I've built some like the Wandre Harvester-ish builds....never done a full aluminum neck, I might try making one when I finally get my CNC mill I've been building up and running.

I built a "Waid" bass too and it's the only one still intact, I cannibalized the 12 string and Twist baritone for other stuff...I'll probably redo the bass one day.

That Travis Bean is crazy. They made those out of 7075 which is a much harder and more expensive grade of aluminum than a lot of aluminum necks which is 6061 which is really soft., and the neck/body anchor part is all one big piece of milled stock. I stopped messing around with them right now because 6061 will get big scratches in it if you look at it wrong and it is a massive pain in the ass (and NASTY) to work with for finishing.

AlumNeck
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AlumNeck » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:00 pm

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:47 am
There were some Aluminum-neck threads in the past… or at least some people showing their purchases.

But never that „official“ OSG aluminum thread…I think.

Out of all the brands out there (active or long gone) I only know of Baguley who offers good looking 6 in line necks (but also 3 by 3 and Bass necks with the same two alignments).
Most of them even have Binding and Block inlays which is a nice extra.

What I don‘t get is why so many order a reverse headstock neck from them…because this again looks very off (to me).

I always found them cool looking - but I love the feeling of wood so much that I couldn‘t see myself playing something that is (at least in my head) too cold in winter and too hot in summer… some open air festival stages must be hell with such a thing…hello Blisters…

But jokes aside: what does an aluminum neck alone change? Is the sustain really that much more intense?
Looks aside, the reverse headstock Baguley Inline has a great break angle for a Jazzmaster. The string path past the nut is long you can literally strum the headstock or pluck it like a harp.

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:52 am

AlumNeck wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:19 pm
X-Ray Spex wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:57 am
AlumNeck wrote:
Its like flavors of ice cream depends on the song or the tune.
That said if I had to pick one it would be the Travis Bean Designs Panback. This is the best guitar I have ever played.
The entire back body, neck and headstock is one piece of aluminum. All together the guitar is only 7lbs and sounds and feels incredible.
7lbs is ludicrously light for anything Travis Bean related, I have a wood body EGC 500 and it's crazy light too. I had an Aluminium body Tyranny for a while and it was HEAVY. Having played quite a few of both I prefer wood body + aluminium necks rather than all aluminium constructions.

What's the EGC baritone like? Nearly bought that one myself when it was on Reverb for a while.

Also what on earth do you do to afford so many aluminium guitars? :D