Jag and jazzy - were they used in recordings of Experience or BOG?

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jag and jazzy - were they used in recordings of Experience or BOG?

Post by countertext » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:22 am

I believe I misunderstood the original post to mean the albums Are You Experienced and Band of Gypsys, so that’s my mistake.

I would say, though, that while Hendrix utilized a lot of different guitars, it’s worth noting that when he went to England in 1966, he only owned one Strat, so the specific guitars he played in the US before then were no longer in his possession, ie he wouldn’t have used any of those particular guitars after his move.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:26 am

Definitely Flying V & SG were used

I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:32 am

I’m a pretty big Hendrix fan (perhaps not the coolest thing to admit on OSG), and i’ve struggled to find reliable info about his use of non-strat guitars on particular tracks.

Internet wisdom (as quoted in this thread) is that he used a JM on ‘Fire’ and i’ve also read many times online that a Tele featured on ‘Wind Cries Mary’, but I haven’t seen good evidence of either of these. If anyone has seen info from someone who was actually there (e.g. a band member, studio engineer or producer), I’m keen to know more.

That said, I’m sure Mr Hendrix used plenty of guitars in the studio, just as he did live, although it’s obviously heavily strat-dominated.

For my ears, the track that sounds most Jazzmaster-ish is ‘Third Stone From the Sun’.

In his post-Experience recordings, there are many tracks that sound like humbucking guitars to me, e.g. ‘Freedom’, ‘Angel’, ‘Dolly Dagger’, et.al., but nothing that stands out as the typical JM or Jag sound.

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:27 pm

I have never seen any reliable indication that anything other than a Strat was used on records until the Flying V showed up. I would love it if links to info would be posted here - I love learning new shit about Hendrix.

Guitarman555
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Guitarman555 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:28 am

JVG wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:32 am
I’m a pretty big Hendrix fan (perhaps not the coolest thing to admit on OSG), and i’ve struggled to find reliable info about his use of non-strat guitars on particular tracks.

Internet wisdom (as quoted in this thread) is that he used a JM on ‘Fire’ and i’ve also read many times online that a Tele featured on ‘Wind Cries Mary’, but I haven’t seen good evidence of either of these. If anyone has seen info from someone who was actually there (e.g. a band member, studio engineer or producer), I’m keen to know more.

That said, I’m sure Mr Hendrix used plenty of guitars in the studio, just as he did live, although it’s obviously heavily strat-dominated.

For my ears, the track that sounds most Jazzmaster-ish is ‘Third Stone From the Sun’.

In his post-Experience recordings, there are many tracks that sound like humbucking guitars to me, e.g. ‘Freedom’, ‘Angel’, ‘Dolly Dagger’, et.al., but nothing that stands out as the typical JM or Jag sound.
I would say that Freedom beginning lick could be a jag. It is sharp, not thick and is very agressive, as a good jag can be. But of course not sure.

Guitarman555
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Guitarman555 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:50 pm

Guitarman555 wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:28 am
JVG wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:32 am

I would say that Freedom beginning lick could be a jag. It is sharp, not thick and is very agressive, as a good jag can be. But of course not sure.
Dolly Dagger - here I agree with humbucker sound, it would also correspond with the video with the Flying V.

Guitarman555
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Guitarman555 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:12 am

Any other thoughts, offsetJimi mates?

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blacktiger » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:49 am

countertext wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:27 pm
I have never seen any reliable indication that anything other than a Strat was used on records until the Flying V showed up. I would love it if links to info would be posted here - I love learning new shit about Hendrix.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/jimi-h ... urple-haze
Thread killer

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:05 pm

I dare say: another big Hendrix Fan here.

But I never got fully into detail about his gear - as I was more of a Les Paul player at this time… but for a time I fancied the idea of a white MIM Stratocaster (the only one I could have afforded back then). Anyhow: his style was more influential on me than his choices of gear (except that he might be the reason for my long lasting phase of excessive Fuzz and Wah use.

I also had this calender in 2010 or so showing him with lots of other guitars - but I only remember the Acoustic Black Widow, two Vs, white SG and a Black Beauty Les Paul other than the Strats…

I was following this thread with great interest - but so far didn’t contribute… because somewhere among my stuff there should be a notation book of „Are you experienced“ that has some stories about the songs and the studio with lots of photographs as well - but we just moved to a new place and some stuff still isn’t unboxed… once I find it I‘ll have a look!

Meanwhile I found this info about a Mosrite Doubleneck that was used on „Spanish Castle Magic“/Axis: Bold as Love
https://www.groundguitar.com/jimi-hendr ... oubleneck/

I also found mentioning of him using a Hagström H8 eight string bass in the Olympic Studios recording Axis: Bold as Love. The Jag he got from Brian Jones was also already left-hand-ized by that point… so he might as well had it in the studio… https://www.groundguitar.com/jimi-hendrix-gear/

And there is info about him using a red Mustang in the Olympic Studios recording Axis: Bold as Love and Electric Ladyland
https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/13055/lot/6781/

Edited for editing what remained weird after copying from a saved draft. I hope all links work now.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:37 am

Found the book this morning. The story is very little - more like how the author was thrilled when he first heard it in his youth...
and as far as pics go - all seem to be taken from the same show. White Strat with big headstock and rosewood board - and one pic of the painted V - and all Dripedge Dual Showman Amps with 2x15 cabs. I always liked that setup best somehow - at least visually. He sounded great whatever he played.

Guitarman555
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Guitarman555 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:49 am

Many thanks for great thoughts and information!

Guitarman555
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Guitarman555 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:36 am

Any other thoughts, any other Jimi&offset fans?

superficial
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by superficial » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:04 am

I didn't realise it was supposedly a faux pas. I love Hendrix.

graceless
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by graceless » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:54 pm

I love how everyone claims that these guitars have such distinctive sounds but even we can't tell just by listening what guitar was used on particular tracks :freako:

You'd think with the surety of tone described by guitar aficionados it would be a total piece of cake to pick out a strat, or a tele, or a jazzmaster in an iconic recording. Apparently not so...

Honestly the only guitar I can tell with certainty and near 100% accuracy just by listening - every time - is a good 'ol p-bass and jazz bass. I've never been able to discern guitars just by listening.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:02 pm

graceless wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:54 pm
I love how everyone claims that these guitars have such distinctive sounds but even we can't tell just by listening what guitar was used on particular tracks :freako:

You'd think with the surety of tone described by guitar aficionados it would be a total piece of cake to pick out a strat, or a tele, or a jazzmaster in an iconic recording. Apparently not so...

Honestly the only guitar I can tell with certainty and near 100% accuracy just by listening - every time - is a good 'ol p-bass and jazz bass. I've never been able to discern guitars just by listening.
People can't even tell a Strat from a Les Paul in a full band mix. Forget about telling different Fenders apart.

Guitars tend to feel and look much more different than they sound to an audience, even an educated one.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.