Future Vintage: Predict currently cheap stuff that’ll skyrocket in value eventually

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Bo Diddley Technical Institute of Cryptozoology (European HQ)

Re: Thread to predict currently cheap stuff that’ll skyrocket in value eventually

Post by PJazzmaster » Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:56 am

If you find a Fulltone Supa Wah (Custom Shop) for under 400 —-> don’t hesitate a second :ph34r:
https://www.fulltone.com/products/custom-shop-supa-wah

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Thread to predict currently cheap stuff that’ll skyrocket in value eventually

Post by Zork » Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:57 pm

The prices for early Squier Vintage Modified Bass VI with rosewood fretboard are slowly getting out of control. :ph34r:
The DOD Rubberneck delay has disappeared from all the shops here in Germany. If discontinued, it might skyrocket in the next few years because of great sound, great features and being a bit of an underdog. 8)

LVC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LVC » Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:25 pm

Zork wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:57 pm
The DOD Rubberneck delay has disappeared from all the shops here in Germany. If discontinued, it might skyrocket in the next few years
It will, and probably sooner than you think. Whenever a piece of gear gets discontinued, scalpers come out of the woodwork trying to flog their copy for ridiculous prices.
Case in point: the TC Electronic Mimiq (a cheap and not particularly sought after pedal) has recently been discontinued and there are already a few listed on Reverb for about twice the MSRP. ::)
Create art, not content

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:14 pm

LVC wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:25 pm
Zork wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:57 pm
The DOD Rubberneck delay has disappeared from all the shops here in Germany. If discontinued, it might skyrocket in the next few years
It will, and probably sooner than you think. Whenever a piece of gear gets discontinued, scalpers come out of the woodwork trying to flog their copy for ridiculous prices.
Case in point: the TC Electronic Mimiq (a cheap and not particularly sought after pedal) has recently been discontinued and there are already a few listed on Reverb for about twice the MSRP. ::)
Well, So far, so good.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:49 am

i've been seeing weird things happen to the fender starcaster re-issues. especially the basses.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:18 am

Any of the Yamaha Reface series keyboards, once they stop making them, will explode in price. I’ve actually considered buying some used just to sell them in a few years.

Unless Behringer steps in and makes blatant copies of them. Which I’m pretty sure they will. I’ll probably buy them.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:57 am

Sauerkraut wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:18 am
Any of the Yamaha Reface series keyboards, once they stop making them, will explode in price. I’ve actually considered buying some used just to sell them in a few years.

Unless Behringer steps in and makes blatant copies of them. Which I’m pretty sure they will. I’ll probably buy them.
I can't be alone in wishing they'd add a Mellotron to the range. That would be perfect, except for the fact that there was never a Yamaha Mellotron, so unlikely.... :derp:

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:41 am

I've noticed former 'sleepers' from the Matsumoku factory steadily going up and up over the last couple of years - things like Aria Pro IIs and Westones which you used to be able to pick up for £100 all day long now come with asking prices of £250+

The same is true of anything MIJ generally, but now increasingly I'm seeing Korean-made guitars coming at a premium. While I don't doubt that Westfields were well-made, remembering their price point when new makes some recent asking prices I've seen seem ridiculous.

So, there's a thing that's on the upward trajectory: reasonably well-made Korean budget guitars. The aforementioned Westfield brand seems to be gaining ground, so why not better examples of the likes of Jim Deacon guitars too? Get them while you still can (for buttons) ! ?

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:45 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:41 am

The same is true of anything MIJ generally, but now increasingly I'm seeing Korean-made guitars coming at a premium.
True. I was looking at Epiphone Korina Flying Vs once in a while because I stupidly sold mine some years ago. They used to be 350€ to 450€ for years, now they're often 700€ to sometimes 950€. At first always with the mentioning of them being Korean, but now the Chinese ones are the same. Also Korean Epiphone hollow bodies ("Peerless") became insanely expensive.

PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PJazzmaster » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:33 am

The EHX East River Drive - IF EHX stops making it.
What most people do not know:
- designed by Analog Mike
- quality parts
- no SMD unit (rather thru hole) - so unlike almost all other modern EHX units
- like a tubescreamer but somehow sounding fuller and rounder with less noise - if that makes sense

I bought 3 of these pedals over the years and use them ever since. If you find a 2nd hand one for below 50: go get it! Nothing to lose!

Pedal nerds already knew about Mike‘s involvement in the design of the pedal (it got discussed on a few forums over the years).

Now Analog Mike posted about it on Instagram a couple of days ago - guess that now everyone and their mother is getting one :)

Have a look inside:

Marc
Expat
Expat

Post by Marc » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:07 am

Traynor amps - specifically the YGM-3 (Voxish Deluxe Reverb in character). Also the YBA series which are like early Marshalls. These are still relatively cheap.

PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PJazzmaster » Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:51 pm

PJazzmaster wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:33 am
The EHX East River Drive - IF EHX stops making it.
What most people do not know:
- designed by Analog Mike
- quality parts
- no SMD unit (rather thru hole) - so unlike almost all other modern EHX units
- like a tubescreamer but somehow sounding fuller and rounder with less noise - if that makes sense

I bought 3 of these pedals over the years and use them ever since. If you find a 2nd hand one for below 50: go get it! Nothing to lose!

Pedal nerds already knew about Mike‘s involvement in the design of the pedal (it got discussed on a few forums over the years).

Now Analog Mike posted about it on Instagram a couple of days ago - guess that now everyone and their mother is getting one :)
And btw: I am curious how long it takes till a few YouTubers are going to Post some „EHX east river drive secret tip“ content :whistle: :shifty: :freako:

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:12 am

Looks like the Bad Monkeys have had the idiot tax applied suddenly
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:25 am

JHS made a video about it three days ago and they probably said it's better than the Klon. :fp:

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:28 am

I'm not complaining, I have a box full of them in the attic as I predicted this happening and have been scooping them up cheap off FB Marketplace and eBay for ages
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?