(best) "typical" Mustang recordings/sound?

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Highnumbers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: (best) "typical" Mustang recordings/sound?

Post by Highnumbers » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:14 pm

graceless wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:26 am
80% of Death Cab For Cutie is recorded on a 70s mustang

Here's a live set where he plays mostly mustang. Rhythm guitarists on a Jazzmaster (Zac) or JM copy (Dave, some kind of Fano)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kdZ9Z9KdAA

This band should be OSGs wet dream, honestly..
DCFC used all sorts of guitars in the studio, and while Ben Gibbard has certainly used a 70s Mustang a lot for rhythm, much of the guitar you hear on all the classic Death Cab albums is actually Chris Walla.

supersonicjazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by supersonicjazzmaster » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:40 am

Don´t miss this :w00t:
I love the whammy noise and the face of the guitarist at 1:50min...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q49hdr5VdEU
It starts... when it begins.
Ralf Kilauea

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:38 am

My bandmate in Sun Tunnels plays a refin vintage Mustang. Even though his has Lace Sensors it’s really Stangy.

He played this almost exclusively on our recording. There is a little sprinkling of Silvertone 1457 in places, but almost all Mustang.

To my ears there’s a distinctive smeary quality to the attack. He tunes down to D and capos up for some songs, so the lower string tension probably contributes to that.

https://suntunnels.bandcamp.com/album/where-we-get-off

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:08 am

Thanks y'all, this thread rules! :w00t:
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

supersonicjazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by supersonicjazzmaster » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:31 am

Ah, I shot this video from my 1965 Mustang before I sold it to my bandmate.
So it stays in the band. :-*

...it´s not me playing.. A friend and me tested our brownface amps with several guitars. :)
In this video the 65 Mustang goes into my 1962 Bandmaster Amp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQCHScFgng
It starts... when it begins.
Ralf Kilauea

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:17 pm

caples wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:34 am
I always find it hilarious how much of a variation there is in those old student guitars. I have a 1971 comp-stang, and it is easily the most resonant guitar I have played.

This one might be a bit too obvious but a lot of nirvana is recorded on a mustang.
Was it though? I didn’t know that but can’t remember learning myself aside from You Know Yr Right just cuz the wiki talks about what Kurt used in the session. Also all of Kurt’s Mustangs had humbuckers which substantially change how those guitars sound.

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:35 pm

I'm very familiar with a lot of the music mentioned in this thread and this problem still remains, it has been something I have considered before for a long time. I can pick out teles, strats, jazzmasters, les pauls to a lesser degree but mustangs, musicmasters, duosonics, etc even jaguars they all sound really similar. Granted the feel of say a Jaguar is more noticeable especially compared to a jazzmaster but the sound, more so if it isn't clean doesn't always jump out to me.
I remember seeing a live Nirvana show on video of a particular concert where he puts on the mustang and he is flicking around the controls above and you hear him find the sound, that sound as soon as he landed on the settings it was like "that's it" but it was only the sound of the song he played (which I conveniently forget right now) which makes sense due to his pickups .
Long story short the Mustang has always been a sound that to me doesn't stand out, I'm sure it does to some but my ear just isn't tuned to it. I'd be curious to how many people can listen to a record and think "oh that has got to be a Mustang", and then looked the band up to see that they indeed play Mustangs instead of the other way around. The same way that it is easy to do that mostly with Strats and Teles.
If OSG has tort me anything...

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:48 pm

oh i remembered another example. kinda. it's a duo-sonic but still close.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drM6CaJMO60

it's the riff in american horror my brain tends to think of mustangs/duosonics sound like more...... tubby strats.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Fac 50
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fac 50 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:00 am

soggy mittens wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:35 pm
I'm very familiar with a lot of the music mentioned in this thread and this problem still remains, it has been something I have considered before for a long time. I can pick out teles, strats, jazzmasters, les pauls to a lesser degree but mustangs, musicmasters, duosonics, etc even jaguars they all sound really similar. Granted the feel of say a Jaguar is more noticeable especially compared to a jazzmaster but the sound, more so if it isn't clean doesn't always jump out to me.
I remember seeing a live Nirvana show on video of a particular concert where he puts on the mustang and he is flicking around the controls above and you hear him find the sound, that sound as soon as he landed on the settings it was like "that's it" but it was only the sound of the song he played (which I conveniently forget right now) which makes sense due to his pickups .
Long story short the Mustang has always been a sound that to me doesn't stand out, I'm sure it does to some but my ear just isn't tuned to it. I'd be curious to how many people can listen to a record and think "oh that has got to be a Mustang", and then looked the band up to see that they indeed play Mustangs instead of the other way around. The same way that it is easy to do that mostly with Strats and Teles.
I can usually tell a Jag. With moderate breakup on single note parts and drones it's got that 'groan' or 'howl' sort of underneath the note. There's tons of it on the Johnny Marr live LP.

Also this - listen to the lead bits in the chorus (eg 0.55) and the solo - even when he drops the trem arm half way through it's got that groaning thing going on.

https://youtu.be/S2JE9KJ2Sy8

Cant really tell a Mustang though apart from what it's not. I can get a cleanish Tele or Strat every time, sometimes Jazzmaster, but if it's none of those then maybe a 'Stang.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:49 am

soggy mittens wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:35 pm
Granted the feel of say a Jaguar is more noticeable especially compared to a jazzmaster but the sound, more so if it isn't clean doesn't always jump out to me.
I can really hear Jaguars in a lot of surf bands when they have the strangle switch on and the two pickups engaged-- hearing that nasally 'plonk' sound is the giveaway-- but as you say that's the clean sound. I don't hear that with my Mustangs as much. It's more of a 'Fender sound' without the Tele/Jazzmaster/Strat flavors added in.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:57 am

i feel like this is a potential spinoff thread one day but the "how do you recognize certain gear in recordings?" because i do this a lot. i hear some recordings and think "oh that's a telecaster into a jcm800" or similar.

in my case, i feel there's certain sonic signatures most gear has and that's what i look for.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:50 pm

I remember back in the mid 90s when I had my $20 '66 Musicmaster, I/it could totally nail the sound of/on Hole's Pretty on the Inside
...any chance?
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

kamillebidan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kamillebidan » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:31 pm

Marc wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:22 pm
Always liked both the funky clean and distorted barre chord sounds on 80’s hit You Drive Me Crazy by Fine Young Cannibals. That’s all Mustang.
I love that band and did not know this, now I can totally hear it. The distorted barre chords with chorus always reminded me of Nirvana, and now I can understand why!

HedonismBot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HedonismBot » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:25 am

Speaking of Nirvana. I have no proof that a Mustang was used in this recording, but this is the sound that I associate with the Mustang: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs_mhEcO_mQ
At least my Mustang sounds almost exactly the same to me.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:21 am

HedonismBot wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:25 am
Speaking of Nirvana. I have no proof that a Mustang was used in this recording, but this is the sound that I associate with the Mustang: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs_mhEcO_mQ
At least my Mustang sounds almost exactly the same to me.
nope. that's definitely a mustang. i mentioned it before but they sound like tubby strats and that sounds like a tubby strat