NVGD

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NVGD

Post by antisymmetric » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:03 pm

There's a lot to like with this one. Some typical "old guitar" problems, but all things you know how to deal with. Nearly complete, with original early style case, and the pickguard has no corners broken off. They used good quality electronic components in these, I just cleaned the contacts on the switches on mine and they're fine (although I did replace the pots in the main circuit). The case still has the zippered pouch too, (which mine doesn't- if you could post the measurements of yours it would be cool, so that I can get one made) They are such cool guitars, I'm sure you'll love it. 8)
Watching the corners turn corners

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:14 am

I am already in love :-* ,that why now ,i would forget thé little detail ,more over it is cat approved
For the zippered push i mesure it and give you thé all mesurement ,you will need to find the correct vintage faux leather ;)
I am already at 3 days of work on it ,need another to sort the ground wire ans selector ,but it is playable in state,,will wait for refret cause it is not the hurry at this time

I hope i can play it this week end :w00t:

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:41 am

repair or the arm ,not as wanted ,but old vintage japanes thread are boring, the arm is something like M4 but the pitch is not 0,7 mm is more like a wood screw maybe 0,8 mm or 0,9 mm
then few step first turn a steel tube to have 4mm inside and 5 mm outside to fit a fender tip ,if you have brass it will be easy but as always i haven t and this morning really less time to do ,the first attempt cut in half cause of the pression cause my tube was 6 mm ext and to have 5 mm i need to otate 0,5 mm of diameter and then rest 0,5 mm of steel (5 to 4) then it break :whistle: ;then i go to my real work and when i would like redo it was to late ,the collet was remplace by a chuck :bored: ,then i don't even try it
then with the 2 broken parts i finally have one pics the reformed one ,
after i threaded with m4 and force it to the rest of thread of the arm to make sonething like a thread ,then i have put the tip with heating the end of the arm with a lighter
the other is one the guitar,not the best but will for now ,and less ugly than scotch
as i have the old tips with the the broken part of the arm in it will try to repair it or if i don't find a way to otate the broken part i will ask a friend to print me a new one (don't find trem bar at this time and the last sell on reverb was 80 euros :wtf: )
i don't know if the steel of the arm is solderable or not ?

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:33 am

special post for antisymmetric ;)
the zippered thing , the size 37,5 x 12 x 6 cm ,there is a white piping ,and inside there is doubling on the big side only ,the rest is the underside of false leather

Don t hesitate if you need other detail ,i think how to send you thé odor in :D

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by antisymmetric » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:59 am

Thank you sir, that is brilliant!! :-* I have already selected the faux cow to slaughter- finding one in the correct shade of blue was not easy, let me tell you.... :wtf:
Watching the corners turn corners

supersonicjazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by supersonicjazzmaster » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:12 pm

Ludo,
this is a great find.
I hoped that you post pics of the red bag also! ;D
The red bag is the best with this guitar. Never seen one in real.
The guitar is really nice! I also like the trashy Yamaha logo :)
And, yes, no problems you could not handle with.
The Rosewood fretboard looks awesome nice, yes!!

...a few years ago I also became a guitar (red Jagstang) from a silly seller, guitar only thrown into a big cardboard... luckily nothing happens to the guitar.

have fun with the red bag, ....and the guitar!
It starts... when it begins.
Ralf Kilauea

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:54 pm

Thanks just finish to repare all the trouble
Ground wire is correct ,it s me who have bad mount it after my disasembly :derp:
The selector have the thin strap of cooper who made contact push to the ground ,i have put them at right place and rethighten the 2 screws and voila
it works ::)
Then 4 days of works to made it totally playable ,it came from far but with time and patience and a big cleaning , it paid ;) (seriously i think i am the only one who open it since 20 years or more ,all the solder are untouch(even the jack!)all pots,caps ,wires ,switch and selector are original ,the desintegrate foam dust also was here :ph34r:

I have buy sôme bicarbonate of sodium for the case cause after 4 days outside in sun it smell again a lot ,the odor is like an old carboard with things inside who have been abandoned in the garage with the cold,humidity and you open after 10 or 20 years :whistle:
It is not really attractive :derp:

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:10 pm

Another day outside for the case :D
Sunny but windy :whistle: Then i have to watch it closely cause the wind close it often and thé cats turn around it too (they now it since one week :P they don t scare anymore)

I have time to play on it :w00t: ;sound really cool with my quilter and my bandmaster
All works ,it stay in tune even with the new strings ,it pings at 0 fret normal du to divot , the trem is nice; ,the pickups are really nice ,the 2 pickups is less jazzmastery that i have think ,the solo circuit is really nice ,surprisely none of thé pot crakle ,the rythm is more spécial is not as dark as a jazzmaster but the tone is less usable than the solo one ,at 1/4 of rotation it cut the sound too much (maybe i need to investigate more ?)but the circuit work also then it is cool
With the link than Mark send me https://www.yamahamusicians.com/forum/v ... hp?t=15682
I saw that i miss only 2 screws ,the part on the strap for the shoulder ,the blue pocket with the 2 screwdrivers ,key for the trem arm and thé cord ,since 55 years it is really small ,i have thé tube(key) for the truss

In fact i am real happy with my purchase (that could be worse moreover for an online buy ) ,the damage du to shipping hungry me a little cause could be avoid but at thé end i have one :w00t: and want one since too long :fp:

I have a question why my guard is so green ans the pups covers so yellow?
It is du to light or sun cause it not stay in thé case ?

surfin_bird
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by surfin_bird » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:19 am

So happy you like your SG Ludo!
They are amazing guitars.
I think the discolor comes from sitting in the case in the darkness. My pickguards are very green and covers are very yellow too.
I think leaving it in oxi-action powder in the sun could clean it.

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:47 am

Thanks
then it is du thé case staying ,i saw a lot online who have really white cover ,more over on sunburst and red the guard seems less green also
Windy too much today the case stay inside ;)

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:20 am

first day of baking soda trick,i let it close all the night with and it smell less ,smell again but now in the sun ,and this night close again with the baking soda in ,and continu for fews days till the smell was really acceptable ,will surely use some shampoo carpet special if the result is not significative (will try a special a cool not toxic for whool )
but since i move the case for dispersing making soda i have done some discovery
a screw don't know whatt for ?
and more important
the nail attack screw :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

i spend time to search in the case with fingers if i will find the missing pup screw but seems to be not present

i have much luck cause i have already pass the hoover in the case and don't have hoov the nail attack screw ;)
content roscoe ;D

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:59 am

i have remove the sticker ,feel it is naked now :D
tan line :wacko: maybe the sunlight will eliminate it soon
case cleaning ,baking soda ,hoover,and finally some febreze,after 2 weeks in the sunlight it doesn't smell anymore and it is looking better

raphaël
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by raphaël » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:15 am

Much much better and nicer without that decal.
Also, I am realizing for the first time how perfect is this pickguard shape !!! I somehow didn't notice that beforeon those guitars...

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:34 am

Sexy AF! I kinda like the tan lines.

What’s the nut width like on these? I have an early 70s SA50B that I love. It has a pretty narrow nut though, which makes me feel a bit clumsy while playing it. I do get used to it after a few minutes, but I think that is the only thing I don’t like about the instrument. I even like the trem more than my JM. Has a slightly looser feel which makes it super smooth.

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:47 am

42,2mm or 1,6625 at 0 fret ;)
The neck is little more bigger than i made mine (thinks av65 profil for mine)
Today rain :fp: Then will wait sun for tan line