Do you ever wish your offset was different?

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
graceless
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Do you ever wish your offset was different?

Post by graceless » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:38 pm

neilnat wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:26 am
The pickup selector location on my Jazzmaster. I play mostly sitting down, and if I lean over while holding the guitar it switches to the neck pickup. Maybe it just has a mind of its own and knows what tone it likes best, though.
I can't stand this. Seems whenever I have to adjust a pedal with my hand it knocks it into the neck pickup selector. The jaguar control plate design is unequivocally better in every way IMO

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:25 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:10 am
I mean, I kinda wish my MIJ Jazzmaster would morph into a 1954 Stratocaster

...but that's mostly for financial reasons :ph34r:
We'd have to kick your ass right off this forum.

No offset? No play. ;)

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:29 pm

I wish my Surfcaster 12 came in white.

I take it back- I wish my black Surf12 was white.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:31 pm

graceless wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:38 pm
neilnat wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:26 am
The pickup selector location on my Jazzmaster. I play mostly sitting down, and if I lean over while holding the guitar it switches to the neck pickup. Maybe it just has a mind of its own and knows what tone it likes best, though.
I can't stand this. Seems whenever I have to adjust a pedal with my hand it knocks it into the neck pickup selector. The jaguar control plate design is unequivocally better in every way IMO
The whole control layout on a JM is a little visually awkward, as is the pickguard.

Both the lead pickup selector switch and knobs aren’t properly centered, and that whole area of the pickguard around the bridge pickup on the bass side.

It’s a classic look at this point, but the Jag layout is much better.

garyfanclub
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyfanclub » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:27 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:31 pm
The whole control layout on a JM is a little visually awkward, as is the pickguard.

Both the lead pickup selector switch and knobs aren’t properly centered, and that whole area of the pickguard around the bridge pickup on the bass side.

It’s a classic look at this point, but the Jag layout is much better.
Interesting, I've never noticed this.

The silver lining here is that the JM's lead circuit volume knob is just about *perfectly* placed for pinky volume swells!

welshywelsh
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by welshywelsh » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:20 pm

I wish I had a matching headstock on my LPB Marr Jag.

Kinx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kinx » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:16 am

I wish my 72 had a B neck profile instead of A neck . I love it, but B necks are still somewhat more comfy to me.
Check out my band, The Atavists ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-HZtrljMg

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:48 am

I regret that I was a coward and bought a Sunburst Pawn Shop Bass VI. The CAR was way more beautiful. I thought it was too shiny for me. I was wrong.
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"

muffonrat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by muffonrat » Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:43 pm

I wish my mustangs had a wider neck!
Really like the sound with traditional pick ups, the small and light body but the width near the nut feels really cramped :-/
Other than that I am very happy with all of my guitars offsets or not ;)

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:41 pm

Sometimes I wish I had the decal on my Rexter-Firemisty Master reversed (gold with black outlines instead of black with gold outlines).

...I changed about every (reversible) thing about my Thinline Jag and would still sometimes wish for a nice Tort and a (2 color) Sunburst to really match it - or a second - black one to fulfill that need while the Sunburst stays a Black-guard with whatever Pickup combination I want to try next...

LBx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LBx » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:21 pm

luau wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:06 am
I had be happy if my MIJ just wriggled out of the poly and into some nitro.
I feel exactly the same about my CIJ.

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:59 am

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:37 am
Jonesie wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:03 am
fuzzjunkie wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:22 pm
I wish the neck on my ‘63 was straight. It was stored for 20 years before I got it and even after a dozen pro setup attempts it still buzzes on the 3rd fret G and D unless the action is higher than I want it. Years ago I looked at sourcing a ‘63 neck but they were all getting sold for Strat replacements.
What if you got the neck planed and refretted?
I did that to another vintage Fender that was slightly worse than this. It had a slab board (1961) and was playable with a slightly higher action than I like for a little less than a year. It ended up worse than it was before when it was barely playable with high action and now it’s completely unplayable. That guitar now has a non-vintage Fender neck.

This neck is a 1963, so it’s veneer. Not going to ruin it. It’s playable. I had a luthier with 40 years experience say that it’s “Not that bad, I’ve seen worse!” and that my action was really low. So it’s higher now. Not as high as the 1961 had to be before it got a new neck though.

All my guitars got the action slightly raised after that for consistency, except for the J Mascis, it needed to be lowered.
I'm dead against the planing thing... seems barbaric, and even if it works you end up with a fretboard that varies in thickness over the neck... would do my head in.

Have you considered some sort of heat treatment? I've had a lot of luck doing that with old guitars without trussrods. Even twists. You just clamp it up til it's straight, then take it a tad further beyond where you want it to end up and ... I wrap an electric blanket round em and leave it overnight. Might take a couple of goes but it does the trick. Can't really ruin anything either

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:20 am

mgeek wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:59 am
fuzzjunkie wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:37 am
Jonesie wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:03 am

What if you got the neck planed and refretted?
I did that to another vintage Fender that was slightly worse than this. It had a slab board (1961) and was playable with a slightly higher action than I like for a little less than a year. It ended up worse than it was before when it was barely playable with high action and now it’s completely unplayable. That guitar now has a non-vintage Fender neck.

This neck is a 1963, so it’s veneer. Not going to ruin it. It’s playable. I had a luthier with 40 years experience say that it’s “Not that bad, I’ve seen worse!” and that my action was really low. So it’s higher now. Not as high as the 1961 had to be before it got a new neck though.

All my guitars got the action slightly raised after that for consistency, except for the J Mascis, it needed to be lowered.
I'm dead against the planing thing... seems barbaric, and even if it works you end up with a fretboard that varies in thickness over the neck... would do my head in.

Have you considered some sort of heat treatment? I've had a lot of luck doing that with old guitars without trussrods. Even twists. You just clamp it up til it's straight, then take it a tad further beyond where you want it to end up and ... I wrap an electric blanket round em and leave it overnight. Might take a couple of goes but it does the trick. Can't really ruin anything either
When I tried to fix the Tele neck I was unaware of any heat treatment repairs. Both the guys I took it to, who were local experts working in vintage guitar shops, said that planing and a refret was the best option. There was an attempt to reset it by clamping and adjusting the truss rod without heat, but that failed.

Since then I have heard of heating and resetting guitar necks, but not with an electric blanket. I thought an oven set on low heat was involved? Anyway, after I was recommended to just live with it or find a replacement neck, I haven’t wanted to risk roasting it in an oven.

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:28 am

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:20 am

When I tried to fix the Tele neck I was unaware of any heat treatment repairs. Both the guys I took it to, who were local experts working in vintage guitar shops, said that planing and a refret was the best option. There was an attempt to reset it by clamping and adjusting the truss rod without heat, but that failed.

Since then I have heard of heating and resetting guitar necks, but not with an electric blanket. I thought an oven set on low heat was involved? Anyway, after I was recommended to just live with it or find a replacement neck, I haven’t wanted to risk roasting it in an oven.
sorry for the late reply, not logged in for a while

Sometimes 'proper' ways have become accepted but when you examine it there's no good reason for that?

I used to hang around on the Reranch forums, bunch of old boy luthier types who were quite set in their ways on there, and the received wisdom was that if you heated it and bent it, you were trying to go against what the wood wanted to do, and it would find a way back to that position...whereas if you plane it it's already done it's shift and should be stronger

Sounds good in theory but a lot of the time when guitar necks bend it's because they've been left tuned to pitch in a loft or something, it's nothing to do with the wood being left to its own devices and shifting of it's own accord - heat time and pressure bent them in the first place, so it stands to reason that doing the same in reverse will cure it.

Likewise, if a neck has backbowed - that might be the wood drying out to the position it wants to end up in, but if time heat and pressure can pull a neck forward when left in a loft, then doing that deliberately can undo the drying out position the wood has taken on.

The method of heating is unimportant I'd say... I'd never heard of someone using an oven til today, coincidentally, there's a stewmac neck heater thing, some people use a hot car in the summer. Electric blanket and an iron works fine for me.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:45 am

Leave it in a hot car in Summer! Down here it would melt the frets haha!