The Synth Thread...

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
User avatar
mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 13473
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: トイレ国、ウンチ市

Re: The Synth Thread...

Post by mackerelmint » Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:10 pm

Singlebladepickup wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:40 pm
That new Ob-X1 is like $50... might have to wait until it's $25 on the used market.
;D

The thing that strikes me about the form factor of these things is that they look like one end of an accordion, lopped off and electrified. They're totally weird looking.
This is an excellent rectangle

User avatar
redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1687
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:01 am
Location: AVLNC

Re: The Synth Thread...

Post by redchapterjubilee » Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:11 pm

Yah, I dunno what I think of all those Behringer Volcas. Cool that they got the the Korg who made the Monotribe to update it. I will likely get that one, as I miss the Monotribe I used to have.

I’m more stoked about the OB TWo Voice in a rack. Heh, and the Grandmother in a rack. I’d recently started looking at Werkstatts because I wanted something to add another LFO and envelope to my Grandmother. Might have to look at behringer for an expander instead. Of course, its all still vaporware for the moment.

User avatar
stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 4188
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:55 am
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Contact:

Re: The Synth Thread...

Post by stevejamsecono » Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:14 pm

Picked up a Minilogue XD a few weeks ago and just loaded some of the Tim Shoebridge User Oscillators. Man oh man. I thought the OG one was fine but with the added effects and digital stuff, the XD really does seem to have a lot going for it and seems pretty easy to program to boot.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

User avatar
mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 13473
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: トイレ国、ウンチ市

Re: The Synth Thread...

Post by mackerelmint » Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:00 pm

stevejamsecono wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:14 pm
Picked up a Minilogue XD a few weeks ago and just loaded some of the Tim Shoebridge User Oscillators. Man oh man. I thought the OG one was fine but with the added effects and digital stuff, the XD really does seem to have a lot going for it and seems pretty easy to program to boot.
That's one of the cool things about the nutekt thingy, it loads up the same user oscillators as the "logue" series does. The ability to swap oscillators like that is some serious stuff. And, I mean, if you're using a digital oscillator, why not be able to do that? It just makes perfect sense.

Oh, and predictably, there's a Bolca Boog being teased, I just saw. Boog Bolca? Worth buying just to say "I have a Boog Bolca".
This is an excellent rectangle

User avatar
DrQuasar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 906
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:58 am
Location: Las Vegas

Re: The Synth Thread...

Post by DrQuasar » Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:20 pm

I kind of want to get a microfreak. Anybody that has one, what do you think?

User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 10995
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Stuck in the dimension of imagination

Re: The Synth Thread...

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:10 pm

wooderson wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:48 pm
Relatively cheap studio monitors are shockingly good now. The Kali Audio IN-8 V2s are 3-way concentrics for $800ish (per pair) and will handle anything you throw at them. Cut that budget in half and you're still going to have good options.
Good to know! It'll be interesting to see what I find out there. As long as there's little chance of blowing the speakers, I'm cool with almost anything...

redchapterjubilee wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:38 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:26 am
How do you like using your re-amp boxes for that duty? Does it kill any low-/high-end on synth?
Not that I've noticed. It mainly just serves to knock the levels down to something the pedals like better. I use one of these as my reamper. It works great for taking wavs of dry guitar and running them through my amps, and it makes that Moog behave with delay pedals better.
http://orchid-electronics.co.uk/Amp_Interface.htm
Thanks for the reply!! I'll have to look into a re-amp box or two dedicated for my synths...
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 10995
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Stuck in the dimension of imagination

Re: The Synth Thread...

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:57 am

So, I was looking around a bit and found something I'd never heard of before. Considering that I'm just jamming/writing at home (usually by myself) and have to keep things quiet anywho, how would near-field monitors work for synth amplification?

PreSonus Eris E3.5-3.5" Near Field Studio Monitor (Pair)

I realize that I'd probably want (need) to pair these with a subwoofer for those low frequencies, but anyone have any opinions on something like this for my setup?
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

User avatar
mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 13473
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: トイレ国、ウンチ市

Re: The Synth Thread...

Post by mackerelmint » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:02 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:57 am
So, I was looking around a bit and found something I'd never heard of before. Considering that I'm just jamming/writing at home (usually by myself) and have to keep things quiet anywho, how would near-field monitors work for synth amplification?

PreSonus Eris E3.5-3.5" Near Field Studio Monitor (Pair)

I realize that I'd probably want (need) to pair these with a subwoofer for those low frequencies, but anyone have any opinions on something like this for my setup?
I'd recommend a set of 8" monitors to fill in the low end, unless you're really going low and the sound from the sub is what you want specifically.
This is an excellent rectangle

User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 10995
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Stuck in the dimension of imagination

Re: The Synth Thread...

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:41 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:02 pm
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:57 am
So, I was looking around a bit and found something I'd never heard of before. Considering that I'm just jamming/writing at home (usually by myself) and have to keep things quiet anywho, how would near-field monitors work for synth amplification?

PreSonus Eris E3.5-3.5" Near Field Studio Monitor (Pair)

I realize that I'd probably want (need) to pair these with a subwoofer for those low frequencies, but anyone have any opinions on something like this for my setup?
I'd recommend a set of 8" monitors to fill in the low end, unless you're really going low and the sound from the sub is what you want specifically.
I'm definitely not looking for any crazy low lows (although I have used an octave down pedal with the Matriarch before :whistle: that was a cool sound). Mostly just the standard range of the synths.

Think something like this?

I guess my first question is if near-field monitors would work well enough, since it's just me at home playing against myself (had to rethink that I almost typed "playing with myself" :D ).

Beyond that, you're saying that an 8" monitor pair would be enough where I wouldn't need a sub? I've never used monitors at all, and I'm still pretty new with synths already. Sorry if the question is stupid/obvious here.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

User avatar
mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 13473
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: トイレ国、ウンチ市

Re: The Synth Thread...

Post by mackerelmint » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:21 pm

Yeah, near fields are fine. The monitors you posted are a lot like the near fields I used to have set up that I'd play my synths (hardware and soft) through. I had it all routed through my audio interface.

I mean, YMMV as far as how satisfied you are with the sound, but monitors doing double duty for recording and just fooling around with synths worked fine for me.
This is an excellent rectangle

User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 10995
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Stuck in the dimension of imagination

Re: The Synth Thread...

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:09 pm

Awesome! Thanks Megan! My birthday is in a couple months, and I might be getting my first decent raise at work* shortly after. I might start doing a little more research and try to nail found which ones sound good.

I don't know that it'll matter, but I'll probably be running them off a little mixing board too. The idea of being able to writesongs with synths and without headphones gets me really excited :w00t:

*first decent raise from any company ever.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

User avatar
mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 13473
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: トイレ国、ウンチ市

Re: The Synth Thread...

Post by mackerelmint » Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:19 pm

Yeah, a little mixing board is a great idea. Play and sequence your synths, mix them out to the monitors.

You know, all but one of my synth nerd friends over the years has done the mixer to monitors thing, now that I think about it. They'd run it into their PA stuff when they played out.

Sure hope you get that raise! You deserve it.
This is an excellent rectangle

User avatar
wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 649
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: The Synth Thread...

Post by wooderson » Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:26 am

If you can swing it, a Tascam Model 12 is a great tool - records individual tracks and a stereo mix, it can function as an audio interface for your computer.

User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 10995
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Stuck in the dimension of imagination

Re: The Synth Thread...

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:05 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:19 pm
Yeah, a little mixing board is a great idea. Play and sequence your synths, mix them out to the monitors.

You know, all but one of my synth nerd friends over the years has done the mixer to monitors thing, now that I think about it. They'd run it into their PA stuff when they played out.

Sure hope you get that raise! You deserve it.
Thanks!! It's been a long time coming, but I'm definitely, finally where I need to be. My boss likes me and my work, all my coworkers are pretty cool. It feels really fantastic.

I'll likely never be a synth player to the point, where that would be my live instrument, but I love the idea of a PA at some point, though mostly just for the hell of it! I bought a mackie 1202vlz4 from one of the guys on here a few years back. I love it, especially for synth work. When I got each of them, I'd run outputs into the mixer and just use headphones. It's nice being able to shape the EQ etc., so I definitely get the appeal of synths > small mixer, especially with more than one synth. Plus, I figure I can use a mixer channel as an effects loop for pedal effects for the synth (either guitar board, or some pedals I want specifically for the synths). Or maybe use Eurorack stuff as synth "effects". The possibilities sound like a lot of fun!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 10995
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Stuck in the dimension of imagination

Re: The Synth Thread...

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:07 am

wooderson wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:26 am
If you can swing it, a Tascam Model 12 is a great tool - records individual tracks and a stereo mix, it can function as an audio interface for your computer.
That's an awesome idea! I've got a Zoom R8 (?) little recorder. I haven't messed with it a ton, but if I ever get into more PC-based recording, I'd probably get something like a Focusrite Scarlett, or some other dedicated interface. Those new UA ones look pretty good too!! I'll check out the Tascam Model 12 too! Thanks for the suggestion!!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Post Reply