Electric Violin, anyone?

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Electric Violin, anyone?

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:46 am

OSG has never failed me, but this one might be too niche for the forum.

Okay, so I have a band mate who plays the violin. We’ve been micing it and the thing is over 100 years old. But it’s starting to crack and it keeps needing repaired over and over again. It seems like we’re beating a dead horse with it.

Would anyone on here happen to know the best bang for your buck electric violin?….definitely want to keep it sub $1000 and the cheaper the better. Preferably closer to $500ish. There’s got to be at least one string player on here

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Electric Violin, anyone?

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:06 pm

Phew. Not a violin player myself.
But I do know some acoustic violin players…one of them being first violin of a big Austrian Orchestra. I just asked her, waiting for a reply.

But a friend bought an electric Cello from Harley Benton during the pandemic and is (more or less) happy with it. Obviously not so well crafted as her expensive acoustic instrument - but it‘s playing and sounding great.

The big question is: how do you/your bandmate want it to look - on a scale from traditional to futuristic?

Looking at your Budget and the reviews on Thomann there are several that would fit: sub 1000: Yamaha, Gewa (both with very good reviews), sub 500: Alfred Stingl (by Höfner) and Harley Benton (mixed reviews on Sound quality but at least there are some reviews). The Stentor models have some very bad reviews.

Some could be good after a string change and maybe a visit at the luthier.

But best would obviously be checking them out first hand in a store.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:59 pm

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:06 pm

The big question is: how do you/your bandmate want it to look - on a scale from traditional to futuristic?

Looking at your Budget and the reviews on Thomann there are several that would fit: sub 1000: Yamaha, Gewa (both with very good reviews), sub 500: Alfred Stingl (by Höfner) and Harley Benton (mixed reviews on Sound quality but at least there are some reviews). The Stentor models have some very bad reviews.

Some could be good after a string change and maybe a visit at the luthier.

But best would obviously be checking them out first hand in a store.

That’s a cool resource you have. Thanks for trying to get a pros input for me.

Yeah, so my band mate is somewhat of a minimalist and is far from a gear head. She’s had this same violin most of her playing career since high school. With that said, idk if it matters too much really on style. I think the most important thing for her would be playability and durability. But, she actually may prefer her traditional look.

Without knowing anything about them, I was looking at Yamahas. Mainly because Yamaha typically makes literally everything and doesn’t do bad haha. They know how to make a product. Other than that..I really don’t know where to look

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:47 am

I also was thinking of Yamaha first… in 2011 I‘ve been at Thomann (it‘s really like a ToysRus for musicians with the guitar room being so big that you need big „library-ladders“ to get to those above your normal human reach).

And my uncle (who is a professional trombone player) tried about ten trombones and went home with a Yamaha.
Just amazing Japanese craftmanship.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:25 pm

My bad, she is the first cello, not the first violin. But another violinist will ask some of her co-workers (in another orchestra).

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:56 pm

I feel if you don't know what to buy with just about anything and Yamaha makes it you could do a lot worse than just getting the Yamaha.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:58 pm

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:25 pm
My bad, she is the first cello, not the first violin. But another violinist will ask some of her co-workers (in another orchestra).
Very cool. Thanks!

After further thinking, I think she’s going to need acoustic electric. Her current one is only acoustic and she has no others. Without having any sound system to practice, a straight electric may not be as useful

Looking possibly at some carbon fiber ones, I’m thinking those may be more durable in the long run and withstand more road use.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:24 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:56 pm
I feel if you don't know what to buy with just about anything and Yamaha makes it you could do a lot worse than just getting the Yamaha.
Those were my thoughts exactly, Larry. If I had all my gear stolen and needed to go on the road by the weekend. I’d just grab stuff from Yamaha. PAs, guitars, whatever

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:28 pm

Living in Kentucky, with an abundance of blue grass fiddle players, what I’m finding is that violins are priced all over the place. Brand doesn’t always equate with good. It’s kind of like one of those things where if you “have a good one”, you have a good one. And people are willing to pay more for that said “good one”

tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tammyw » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:21 pm

I have a Yamaha SV130 and it's fine. It's a little different experience than playing an acoustic instrument, but it's still plenty loud enough to hear what you're doing if you're practicing alone. It also has a headphone output and built in reverb.
All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.