Thoughts on the Juno X?

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
shoegaze_head
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Thoughts on the Juno X?

Post by shoegaze_head » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:37 pm

Has anyone here had any experience with the Juno X? I saw someone playing one at a show I went to recently and have wanted a Juno for a while but wasn't about to drop the money required on a 6, 60, or 106 just to then have to take it to a shop and have the chips fixed and all that. I don't care about it being digital because it sounds fine in all the demos I've heard of it so far, but I'm worried about the feel of the instrument. I have a background in piano so for a keyboard I would be dropping that amount of money into I'd like it to have a good feel to the keys. With monosynths I don't care too much but I like to play polysynths like I would an organ or a piano.

I would like to gig with it so build quality is a factor as well.

Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Thoughts on the Juno X?

Post by Dok » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:53 am

I've always found synth action really tough when using piano or electric piano patches, especially on some Rolands with their shortened keys, but this model looks to have full-size keys. Totally fine when playing synth stuff as you'd be doing on this model. Just really would depend on the material you'd be playing more than anything, I think. But as with any instrument, you'll never know until you play one in person.
Local milk person

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:59 pm

I liked the video Alex Ball did about it: https://youtu.be/0-AS5GZGLR4

I also like its look. A modern version of a classic design and very well executed.

From a musical point of view I'm not sure. I think it's actually very nice about the old Junos or the PolySix that they are relatively versatile in synthesis, still limited enough to be unique in their respective sound. I dunno if the Juno X can catch that vibe with all the modern features?

If I wanted a modern feature-laden synth, I would probably not choose a Juno. If I wanted a Juno, I would probably not choose a modern feature-laden version of it...

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:10 pm

The keybed is fine but nothing special - though you'd have to spend quite a chunk more to get a 61 key with a really nice Fatar bed (Prophet, OB-X8, Moog One - the Novation and Polybrute are a step below in key feel, the Hydrasynth Deluxe has a very nice polyphonic aftertouch keybed to me but it's very light, I imagine it would drive a piano player to distraction) and if you're used to a piano or organ action I'm not sure even that would really do it for you.

shoegaze_head
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoegaze_head » Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:08 pm

Zork wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:59 pm

If I wanted a modern feature-laden synth, I would probably not choose a Juno. If I wanted a Juno, I would probably not choose a modern feature-laden version of it...
Thanks for the response. I do want a Juno, not sure if I want one more than I want a nice versatile synth if I can only have one. In terms of a modern feature-laden version of it, I can't imagine it being a bad thing. Its not like the current player jazzmasters where theres actually features missing (yes, I do use the rhythm circuit). To each their own though :)

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:08 pm

I wanted to like it very much. I didn’t. I still rather have an old 106.

It not bad I just don’t like the interface and the PWM sounded weird to me. But I only spent 5 min with it.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:44 am

OffYourFace wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:08 pm
I wanted to like it very much. I didn’t. I still rather have an old 106.

It not bad I just don’t like the interface and the PWM sounded weird to me. But I only spent 5 min with it.
You know, I thought about grabbing a 106 for a while now, but their prices have went through the roof. In addition, ones I’ve heard have a fair amount of hiss when recorded. I also think about the malfunctioning chips on these.

I felt, at least in demos that the X sounded fairly close in most applications. It’s still a lot of money though. The Juno is the perfect synth, but I’m feeling like for reliability I may tip my toe in the water for an X

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:57 am

Juno 106 prices have come down a lot. At least in LA. I’ll see them for $1200-1500 on Craigslist from time to time. Replacing the voice chips and calibrating them is a basic task for any decent synth repair person. The hiss comes from dying chorus chips and those are available again thanks to behringer $$ haha.

matbard
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by matbard » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:40 am

Best Roland stand alone synth below the Fantom workstations. Much better than the Jupiter X/Xm