How difficult is re-wrapping drums?

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

How difficult is re-wrapping drums?

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:27 pm

Looking at some drums again as I sold my last kit. I hate most offerings that I can afford but thought about the possibility of buying something decent and re-wrapping but wasn’t sure how to go about it?

Does anyone have tips?

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: How difficult is re-wrapping drums?

Post by Futuron » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:30 am

You can try spraying over the existing wrap, I've done it on some snare drums. In summer (we are currently in winter) I'll be spraying my old (unevenly) yellowed 'white' drum kit in something like ice blue.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:05 am

check out the youtube channel "rdavidr" he's got a few videos where he re-wraps a drum and makes it look fairly easy. i know a recent video where he did it was when he was making a "snom"
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jonesie » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:14 am

I used Jammin' Sam's wraps a couple of times, just used the tape to adhere it, not the glue that some people use. It was really easy. You tell him the size of your drums, he'll provide pre-cut wrap for you. Strip the hardware from the kit, put the wrap over it (have the seam right next to where a lug is installed), drill holes for the hardware and reassemble.

Really easy job, you can knock it out in a weekend afternoon. It turned a mongrel Slingerland kit (24/13/16) from different eras into a cool as hell looking Green Sparkle beast.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:27 am

Jonesie wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:14 am
I used Jammin' Sam's wraps a couple of times, just used the tape to adhere it, not the glue that some people use. It was really easy. You tell him the size of your drums, he'll provide pre-cut wrap for you. Strip the hardware from the kit, put the wrap over it (have the seam right next to where a lug is installed), drill holes for the hardware and reassemble.

Really easy job, you can knock it out in a weekend afternoon. It turned a mongrel Slingerland kit (24/13/16) from different eras into a cool as hell looking Green Sparkle beast.

Wow. That looks great!

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jonesie » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:38 am

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:27 am
Jonesie wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:14 am

Wow. That looks great!
Thanks! I miss it sometimes, but I (somehow) traded it for a Noble & Cooley kit, straight up. I was ahead on that deal by about $1,000. Managed to get a stupid deal on a Sonor Delite Bop kit since then too. I have two super high end drum kits and I hate the finish on both of them, I should really think about re-wrapping them.

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:08 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:05 am
check out the youtube channel "rdavidr" he's got a few videos where he re-wraps a drum and makes it look fairly easy. i know a recent video where he did it was when he was making a "snom"
I love RdavidR! I wish more channels had such fun and interesting "shop classes" mixed with musical instruments.
She/Her

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:11 am

I salvaged a handful of orphan round badge Gretsch drums into a kit. I did everything but the rewrap. Sent them off to Precision Drum in NY for new bearing edges and had them rewrap it t the same time as well. Beautiful work!

She/Her

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:20 am

hulakatt wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:11 am
I salvaged a handful of orphan round badge Gretsch drums into a kit. I did everything but the rewrap. Sent them off to Precision Drum in NY for new bearing edges and had them rewrap it t the same time as well. Beautiful work!

Very cool! If you don’t mind me asking, was it very expensive?

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:08 am

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:20 am
hulakatt wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:11 am

Very cool! If you don’t mind me asking, was it very expensive?
It was around $800 but that included having the bearing edges recut, the cost of the wrap, the labor of rewrapping them and shipping the shells back. Precision Drum have their price sheets on their website and it's by the wrap style and by drum depth and diameter. They sent me the left over wrap so I can match the snare to the rest of the kit too
She/Her

Synthsinthesky
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Synthsinthesky » Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:16 pm

I did the same thing with a slingerland kit. It’s now silver sparkle, the Tom’s at least. I did it in august in Texas outside so it was about as fun as you can imagine. Still need to do the bass drum, but I’ll probably leave that to a pro. Got the wrap through precision. Wrapping and cutting is fairly easy but depending on the age of the drums it could be a major pita. 60’s slingerlands used a type of liquid cement to attach the wraps, which had me using acetone and a paint peeler for hours on end to remove the glue. A lot of newer low end kits only glue on the seam, which would make the job a whole lot easier. I know jammin Sam recommends using his special adhesive tape but I talked to precision on the phone and they recommended liquid cement. Further down the rabbit hole apparently lots of people have problems with jammin Sam’s method ( wrap warping around lugs, etc). Contact cement is tricky to work with and takes patience but in the end the kit looks great and hopefully the wrap will last a long long time.