INAD - Incoming New Archlute Day!

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

INAD - Incoming New Archlute Day!

Post by Embenny » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:01 am

Ok, so I realize I just posted a New Lute Day about my Baroque lute, but I'm too excited about this to wait long enough to appear like a not-crazy person.

What we have here is a 14-course archlute by the same luthiers as my Baroque lute, the Sandis in Turkey. Unlike the mahogany of my last one, the neck and bowl of this are made of maple. It's a bit less flashy, but promises to be even better made. I had been in talks with them about custom building me something called a Lesser French Theorbo, but pandemic-related supply shipment delays meant that will likely have to wait until next year. They offered me this instead - they had two archlutes for sale online already, but told me that they set this one aside because it was better-made and had higher-grade woods. The subtext was that this was likely built by the master luthier without the touch of an apprentice. I was wanting an archlute anyway, so here we are!

So, what the fuck is an archlute?

In my Baroque lute thread, I mentioned how the Renaissance lute, tuned in fourths other than one third (not unlike a guitar) slowly gained extra low strings over time, from six at the start until it hit ten at the end, with the 11th string being added by the French when they changed the tuning to two octaves of a D minor chord, birthing the "Baroque lute" that then gained two extra low courses in Germany.

But that's not the whole story. Even though we call those 11/13-course D-minor-tuned lutes "Baroque" lutes, the 10-course "Renaissance" lute actually continued on the same evolutionary path in Italy (and England too, but their musical importance was overshadowed by the Italians in the Baroque period so you don't hear as much about them).

The Italians also kept adding strings, just like the Germans, but maintained the vieil ton as the French called it - the "old tone." In other words, Renaissance lute tuning. They also came up with a different solution to the problem of needing longer scale length for the bass strings, also known as diapasons - instead of the German "bass rider", they just stuck a second, longer neck onto the end of a Renaissance lute and birthed "the archlute" as it is now called.

So, really, while those Dm French and German lutes are still known as "Baroque" lutes, the archlute was its contemporary and is every bit as much a "Baroque" lute. You could accurately call it an Italian Baroque lute, except that would be confusing given modern terminology surrounding these instruments, so we'll stick with "archlute."

One of the tricky bits is that archlute sizes vary to an astonishing degree compared to 11c/13c Baroque lutes. This is a small one. There are others that can be as large as theorbos, with diapasons 1.5m in length. This one has fretted strings that are only 57.5cm in length, with diapasons of 83cm, which is over 32". Coincidentally, its lowest string is an F, which, in Baroque tuning of A=415Hz, equals the low E of a modern bass guitar.

Okay, so what does it do differently from a "Baroque" lute?

Well, since an archlute is just a second neck and wider bridge grafted onto a Renaissance lute, these things can be used to play the entirety of the Renaissance lute repertoire. It has enough strings to cover every single piece written across the entire era throughout Europe, so I'll be able to use this to learn the works of John Dowland, my (and many others') favourite Renaissance composer. The larger archlutes are unsuitable for this purpose, because Renaissance tuning necessitates larger stretches on average than on a Baroque lute., so even though the tuning is the same, pieces written on smaller lutes aren't necessarily playable. This "small" archlute has none of those problems - 57.5cm is a perfectly normal scale length for a Renaissance lute, so it's got that covered.

It can also, of course, be used for all of the Italian Baroque repertoire that was written for it, which can't be played on a 13c German instrument due to its tuning. Interestingly, a couple of the Bach lute suites are easily fingered on an archlute and nigh-impossible to play on a German lute, so it seems as though there was some cross-pollination there, as well. He likely encountered archlutes at some point and wrote those suites for them, though some still believe they're all Lautenwerck music.

But, I had one other major motivation for getting an archlute - it can be single-strung. German Baroque lutes all have double courses, but their Italian counterparts were often strung with single courses (though double also existed). With the archlute's relative tuning being so similar to guitar, and it being historically-accurate to single-string it, this instrument gives me a way to break up my practice sessions on the Baroque lute with something that is less of a challenge in terms of both left and right-hand technique.

Plus, a single-strung archlute sounds pretty darn cool. Here is a video introducing the archlute and demonstrating an Italian Baroque piece starting around a minute and a half in. They also sound great playing Renaissance pieces like this Scottish one. Here's a little Bach, and if you want to see how massive these instruments could get, here's a giant double-strung one playing some of its native Italian repertoire.

I'm really looking forward to playing Renaissance and Baroque repertoire on this, and - in theory, at least - I should be able to start accurately playing pieces on it much sooner than the Baroque lute since it's significantly more similar to a classical guitar.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Tele295
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: INAD - Incoming New Archlute Day!

Post by Tele295 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:29 am

That’s certainly something you don’t see every day!
Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads - all aloha, all the time

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:40 am

That's wonderful, Mike. I'm very jealous!
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:49 pm

Blast from the past!

I just assumed nobody was interested (which is fine, this OSG and that's neither got a waist nor is a guitar!).

I'm considering restringing this as a German Theorbo. Theorbos are normally massive, but the reason they're so big is that unwound gut strings had to be crazy long scale to play deep notes. Wound strings bypass that restriction.

German Theorbos are pitched up a bit from Italian ones, but I used a string calculator and found that I could get away with it using modern synthetic strings. They have the same number of courses. I ordered a set and we'll see how that sounds.

If it goes well, I might order another one of these from the Sandis with a longer scale to use as an actual Theorbo, and return this one to Renaissance/Italian Baroque stringing. This archlute is beautifully built, much nicer than my Baroque lute I got from them. It's really special, especially at its price point. The Baroque lute was a little rough around the edges cosmetically and needed a lot of setup TLC.

This guy was playable right out of the box and really has a rather lovely tone. The single courses were instantly familiar as a guitarist vs the very foreign low-tension double courses on the Baroque lute.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:08 am

Oh man I missed this when it got originally posted but I'm glad it came back up -- my girl's a classical voice major who's super into Renaissance and Baroque (she's actually doing performance at a local ren fair this year which she's super excited for) and she's been trying to get me to learn lute or baroque guitar so I can do accompaniment for her.

I will say that if you have the chance to get your hands on a theorbo (or as we call it in my house, the 'stupid giraffe lute'), 100% go for it.

Is this the kind of instrument where there's a beginner-but-good sort of range (ala Squier Classic Vibe) or does it just go from junk that's not worth the money straight to used car prices like decent flamenco acoustics?

BTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BTL » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:30 pm

Well, that was quite a learning experience...thanks!
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:44 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:08 am

Is this the kind of instrument where there's a beginner-but-good sort of range (ala Squier Classic Vibe) or does it just go from junk that's not worth the money straight to used car prices like decent flamenco acoustics?
Well, Mike can tell you a lot more about it, but he and I had been discussing ouds (which is the precursor to the lute), and I mentioned that there was a family in Turkey called the Sandis, and I had contemplated getting an oud from them. They are on eBay.

That's who made Mike's lutes, they are great craftsmen, and work at reasonable value. He can tell more about it since he went a lot further than I ever did, though. Long story short, I think Mike feels that this is the best way to get a pro grade lute at anything approaching a good value, but I should just shut up and let him tell the tale.

I need to get an oud.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Tele295
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tele295 » Tue May 17, 2022 9:54 am

There are a number of Sandi instruments on the bay https://www.ebay.com/str/luthiersandi?m ... media=COPY
Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads - all aloha, all the time