Cheap drum kit

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
BenHagerty

Cheap drum kit

Post by BenHagerty » Mon May 05, 2008 12:23 pm

my friend and I were bouncing back and forth between drum kit and machine and we decided to go with drum kit. Any recommendations?

missionguitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Cheap drum kit

Post by missionguitars » Tue May 06, 2008 2:55 pm

Had the same interest a year ago, went with a used PDP CX - $500 with hardware, cheap cymbals, and DW 5000 double pedal.  Any of their stuff is great, just made in Mexico DW stuff...

Another nice kit is the Yamaha Rydeen - REALLY inexpensive, but still a quality kit, used they're $300 or so...Gretsch Catalina is good inexpensive stuff too...

Whatever you do, do NOT buy new - kits are like cars, they lose 50% the day you drive them off the lot... ;D
MissionGuitars.com

"Like" me at https://www.facebook.com/missionguitars

sonik
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Cheap drum kit

Post by sonik » Tue May 06, 2008 8:05 pm

Craigslist is your best friend for drums.  There are cheap kits on there all the time (searching suburban areas are best because parents want to unload them).  You can (in my opinion) safely go used "no name brand" or "starter set" for the bass drum, toms, and even snare for a total of less than $100.  You can make them sound pretty good by getting the tuning right and using a little tape, etc.  Then you can save your money for nicer hardware and cymbals.