Weird Piano Tuning Question

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Weird Piano Tuning Question

Post by rank » Thu May 11, 2023 10:33 am

So I just got laid off from the job I have had for the last 15 years. I also got a free Wurlitzer piano but it is out of tune. I obviously have some free time & was wondering if it would be worth it to tune it myself? I know nothing about tuning a piano but need something to fill some down time while I look for another job & this might help hold off some of the depression I feel creeping in. I am in a weird area where I am over qualified for most jobs in my field but not qualified for the rest of what I see. Has anyone here tuned a piano &, if so, can you offer some advice/direction?
We are merely moving shadows.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Weird Piano Tuning Question

Post by DeathJag » Thu May 11, 2023 10:53 am

I am jobless also but I have no piano to tune. That sounds like a wonderful way to spend hours! I bet your ear will start to play tricks on you. Actually it's really fascinating to think about. It would be cool if you used tuning forks instead of tuners too! You wind the string until it stops wavering.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu May 11, 2023 11:20 am

Surely there are a zillion YouTube videos and there are some free piano tuner apps. I would totally go for it.

Sorry about your job situation.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu May 11, 2023 8:59 pm

Is this a regular wurlitzer acoustic piano, or one of the electric ones?

Very very different tuning processes. The electric pianos use metal reeds, so you can only raise the pitch and can only do so by destructively filing metal away. Not something for the faint of heart.

The regular acoustic pianos...well, they're not for the faint of heart, either. You'll need some tools - the right wrenches, foam wedges, etc - but most importantly, a lot of patience and a willingness to accept suboptimal outcomes. I don't think anybody tunes their first piano well. The best case scenario is that it's an imperfect improvement over its current state. The worst case scenario is that you break strings and have to restring it, which is such an arduous task that it makes tuning look like a cakewalk.

So, as long as you go into it with realistic expectations, it could definitely be an enjoyable and rewarding thing. You'll definitely learn a lot.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dok » Sat May 13, 2023 7:17 pm

Embenny wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 8:59 pm

The worst case scenario is that you break strings and have to restring it, which is such an arduous task that it makes tuning look like a cakewalk.
No, I'd say the worst case scenario is that you break a string and seriously injure yourself and/or cause hearing damage. It's a pretty rare thing to break a string on a piano while playing it but I can tell you first-hand that it sounds like a gunshot. Those strings are very large, under a lot of tension (much, much more than a guitar string of course), and one thing that I will never do myself is tune a piano.

A pro tuner will also know how far to take it - many pianos that have been out of tune for a long time will not go to a440 on a first pass. Depending on condition they can need several tunings weeks apart otherwise you risk, you guessed it, breaking strings and other components.

I can definitely understand the impulse to want to DIY this, and if it was something like restoring the finish, maybe even replacing hammers or needling the felt on them I'd say go for it, but the tuning I would not do myself. You may read this and scoff at my advice, and feel free, but I'd feel negligent if I didn't chime in.

Lastly, like luthiers, good piano tuners are skilled tradespeople in vanishing supply. We want to keep people with those skills in business! Also the last time I had mine tuned it was less than $200. It's not expensive considering the improvements a real pro can bring.
Local milk person

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Sat May 13, 2023 7:31 pm

My two cents.
I tune my own old spinet. A kit is like 20 bucks on amazon. Once you get the hang of it. It's not that hard (mentally, physically it's tough. Mind your hands. I gave myself trigger finger tuning).

So, 440 even temper not too hard and good enough for 99% of people. But then you get into the real ish. Now you're not in even temper. Now it's not A440 A880 A1760. You've got stretch tuning. And this is saying nothing of working the action. The hammers in balance, the escapement, the dampers etc etc.

Also, keep in mind you'll likely need to do a "pitch raise" first. And there's a chance the peg block doesn't have the friction left in it to hold a tune. Tuners have a torque wrench they use to measure if the pegs have enough grip left in them.

You're out of work. Piano tuners aren't. Do it yourself. Go to school on YouTube. Download some apps.
If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Sun May 14, 2023 6:04 am

Someone has a huge Peterson strobe tuner, not the pedal version, on CL here for $300. Seems perfect for piano...

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Mon May 15, 2023 5:23 am

I watch the guy when he comes here to tune our upright. He uses his phone as a tuner (like most of us do for guitars). I asked some questions...I guess it was obvious what I was getting at. He said something along the lines of "some people can, most can't. But if you make a mistake...it makes repairs difficult.".

I never tried.
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sessylU » Tue May 16, 2023 11:20 pm

I'd echo what Dok said above. This is something I always wished I could do, and when I was at uni one of our professors (one of the English speaking world's best regarded contemporary experts on Bach's keyboard music) used to maintain. the pianos in the department himself. At one point he offered an unofficial course or module in basic piano maintenance and tuning. I was far too busy trying to finish my degree so didn't make use of the offer, but I've regretted it ever since.

By all means, fill your boots, but understand that injury and damage are reasonably likely.

I understand the sentiment, but I'd find a different time sink. Build an amp? Take up tennis?
a total idiot jackass

rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rank » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:18 pm

I appreciate all of the replies & suggestions. I will probably let a pro tune it & find a better time sink.
We are merely moving shadows.