Anyone got/use an MPC?

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Anyone got/use an MPC?

Post by stevejamsecono » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:24 am

I was watching the Live II launch videos this week and it looks pretty incredible. I was thinking of springing on a Circuit Tracks to fill my groovebox void but this seems like a LOT more (and granted, with a price to match) but I'd actually get some pretty professional sounding results.

Anyone have an MPC in their workflow? I usually work within the pop/rock idiom but I'm trying to incorporate more sampling/weird sonic ideas into it.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anyone got/use an MPC?

Post by Singlebladepickup » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:25 pm

I had an MPC Live, but sold it to get into modular. I'd love a Live 2 or MPC One now that I have a use for CV

infiniteposse
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by infiniteposse » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:28 pm

stevejamsecono wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:24 am
I was watching the Live II launch videos this week and it looks pretty incredible. I was thinking of springing on a Circuit Tracks to fill my groovebox void but this seems like a LOT more (and granted, with a price to match) but I'd actually get some pretty professional sounding results.

Anyone have an MPC in their workflow? I usually work within the pop/rock idiom but I'm trying to incorporate more sampling/weird sonic ideas into it.
I just bought one for that same purpose. Today was day one of fiddling, so I can’t speak much to how successful I’ll be, but the machine itself seems more approachable than the Elektrons I’ve been trying to make friends with. I used Akais for a long time in the late 90’s and early 2000’s and I think they’re approach to workflow clicks with me a little better.

For a very thorough discussion on them, check out this Elektronauts thread: https://www.elektronauts.com/t/mpc-live ... 32978/5105

Many of the folks won’t be buying for your use case, but you’ll hear some thoughtful, literate takes on what it does well.

Lastly, I’ll note they just released a huge update for it, 2.10, that folks seem very pleased with. It seems like a machine that the company is invested in and that continues to mature, which is nice to know when you’re looking to drop $$$ on something.
Lee

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:14 pm

I can recommend the MPC Bible. The guy puts a ton of work into updating it, and you get them for free after initial buy. Lots of template programs with guides that show you practical uses and workflow

tdbajus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tdbajus » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:16 am

I got the first Circuit, and found it to be very limiting. Not sure about the other, newer models, but I would recommend checking out other stuff.

I have an MPC Live, but mostly a buddy of mine uses it when we play together. It's OK, but I don't love the interface - it probably made sense back when you only had five seconds of sampling time, but now it reminds me of Adobe's Illustrator: A giant wad of band-aids, one applied on top of the other, as a fix for something.

If you are looking for something smaller, I LOVE my Digitakt. The electron way of doing things is weird, and I found it really frustrating to figure out, but once you do, it is marvelously flexible and works great for improvisations and stuff. Does lots of fun math things (once you figure out how it works) and lets you set up some really cool Steve Reich kind of things.

The sampling is limited, but works fine for my needs.

If I was going to upgrade, I'd look at the Octatrack, the far more powerful big brother to the Digitakt. Totally worth the learning curve, IMHO.

infiniteposse
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by infiniteposse » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:41 am

tdbajus wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:16 am
I got the first Circuit, and found it to be very limiting. Not sure about the other, newer models, but I would recommend checking out other stuff.

I have an MPC Live, but mostly a buddy of mine uses it when we play together. It's OK, but I don't love the interface - it probably made sense back when you only had five seconds of sampling time, but now it reminds me of Adobe's Illustrator: A giant wad of band-aids, one applied on top of the other, as a fix for something.

If you are looking for something smaller, I LOVE my Digitakt. The electron way of doing things is weird, and I found it really frustrating to figure out, but once you do, it is marvelously flexible and works great for improvisations and stuff. Does lots of fun math things (once you figure out how it works) and lets you set up some really cool Steve Reich kind of things.

The sampling is limited, but works fine for my needs.

If I was going to upgrade, I'd look at the Octatrack, the far more powerful big brother to the Digitakt. Totally worth the learning curve, IMHO.
What was the key to getting inside the Digitakt for you? The Elektron way of doing things is hard fir my brain. I watch tutorials and then forget everything if I’m away for a single day. It’s almost like a code or language. I’d love tips.
Lee

tdbajus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tdbajus » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:04 am

The biggest problem that I had was that they use a bunch of undefined terms - trig locks/p locks/etc etc.
I mean, for god's sake, make a glossary!
But, once you crack the code, it's super powerful for such a tiny box.
I tell you though, it has the only digital distortion that I truly love. I wish they'd release it as a plugin!

AFA continually re-learning it... well, I had the same problem with the Circuit, too.

[edit]

I would think about checking out the OP-1, which is a nice little do-it-all box that I have been interested in.

brianjdc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by brianjdc » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:35 am

I'm using an mpc one as the sequencing heart of my synth rig. Cv out to my eurorack setup, usb midi to all my capable synths and 5pin midi to everything else. Super easy to get everything set up and no complaints. Never used an mpc in the past amd didn't take very long to get my head around the ecosystem. If you don't need the internal battery and speaker got for the one

brianjdc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by brianjdc » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:35 am

Double post, please delete

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:54 am

I ended up going another way with this. Got a Circuit Tracks and a Novation Launchkey Mini and started playing with Ableton. Pretty impressed and inspired so far, so I have a feeling I may not need an MPC anymore.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

mordecainyc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mordecainyc » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:13 am

I can recommend the Pioneer Toraiz SP-16. Very high quality sampler / drum machine, super easy to use and has awesome analog DSI filters and drive on board. It’s not as advanced feature-wise as the MPC Live or other machines, but it sounds ace and it’s a joy to crank out beats with.

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:08 am

Just picked up an MPC Live II for a bargain off the local classified site on Saturday. Tracked up my first beats with it to a YooToob tutorial, and MAN this thing has DEPTH.

I'll be a big-time dub-step bro-hero here in no time flat!

Seriously though- just my 6-track tutorial jam sounds amazing- stock samples and all. I've never operated a pad-driven synth before, but the interface is actually very easy to learn (one day in...) and it seems every time my mind asks "well, can it do x or y?" the interface has a tab that delves into that function/combination/variation right. there.

It's fun and convenient that it has built-in monitors- makes it nice to carry around the house so I can fiddle with it at opportune moments.

Sequencer is great, drums are great, and everything sounds nice and polished even with my dink-around stuff.

I'm excited to delve more.