Post by zhivago » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:18 am

looks so goddamn cool... 8)
Resident Spartan.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Zhivago's Vintage Hotties - Roland BeeBaa

Post by StevenO » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:38 am

Oh damn, I was just researching these yesterday! Wata from Boris has been using one lately and that's sort of been helping the GAS for one of these a bit more.

I think these look awesome! I want to make a clone of one. It would be a good addition to my board... Mmm...  :-*

Yannis, you have great taste in everything. :)

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:59 pm

I think mine looks pretty awesome on my board  ;D

I think they sound pretty cool too, but if I remember correctly Yannis tried one and didn't care for it through the amp he had then. It can take over your guitar sound a bit like a Big Muff can, but it sounds very different through either the  tweed Fender or the Vox AC-30 that I use. A friend has one going into a silver Twin and it sounds harsher, while another friend uses it with a JMC-800 and it sounds massive. I've played it through a Bandmaster as well and it sounded "plenty large."
sleeping on a bed of fuzz and feedback

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:13 pm

StevenO wrote: Oh damn, I was just researching these yesterday! Wata from Boris has been using one lately and that's sort of been helping the GAS for one of these a bit more.

I think these look awesome! I want to make a clone of one. It would be a good addition to my board... Mmm...  :-*

Yannis, you have great taste in everything. :)
They had a BeeBaa for sale in Vintage & Rare a while ago. I forget how much it was going for. Probably too much!
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:19 pm

barge concepts makes a couple clones of them.
http://bargeconcepts.com/bbstandard.html

Slow-Pop
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Slow-Pop » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:48 pm

StevenO wrote: Yannis, you have great taste in everything. :)
That might explain the Cult of Yannis!  ;) ;D 

I love the way roland did there graphics way back then, just look at a juno-106, so cool.  :-*
Before bringing up drugs with your kids, hook your turntables up to a wah-wah pedal.

BenHagerty

Post by BenHagerty » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:18 pm

Oh man. The vintage hotties has moved to effects.

I can't wait till I see some in the recording section.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:46 pm

BenHagerty wrote: Oh man. The vintage hotties has moved to effects.

Or the Miscellaneous Discussion section where Yannis will start posting old ladies who were once very attractive in the 40s, 50s, and 60s. I CAN'T WAIT!

del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by del » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:22 am

cestlamort wrote: barge concepts makes a couple clones of them.
I have the barge concepts bb-jr and like it a lot.  It sounds exactly like the bee-baa as far as I can tell.  The jr version doesn't have the added treble boost, but I'm hunting for that as an external pedal anyway.

I think my one gripe with the bee-baa (and my bb-jr) is that it isn't sputtery enough.  It can be too smooth.  I want to try it with a starved power supply or dying battery... I think that might be a very nice addition.

del
The Kinks - The Fall – The Bad Seeds - Spacemen 3 - The Gories - Royal Trux
"The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world." - David Fair

BenHagerty

Post by BenHagerty » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:00 am

StevenO wrote:

Or the Miscellaneous Discussion section where Yannis will start posting old ladies who were once very attractive in the 40s, 50s, and 60s. I CAN'T WAIT!
You were already planning on doing this.

Before I looked and saw who posted this I was going to say, "Yeah, StevenO already is planning on doing that"

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:49 am

BenHagerty wrote:
StevenO wrote:

You were already planning on doing this.

Before I looked and saw who posted this I was going to say, "Yeah, StevenO already is planning on doing that"
:(

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:52 am

del wrote:
I have the barge concepts bb-jr and like it a lot.  It sounds exactly like the bee-baa as far as I can tell.  The jr version doesn't have the added treble boost, but I'm hunting for that as an external pedal anyway.

I think my one gripe with the bee-baa (and my bb-jr) is that it isn't sputtery enough.  It can be too smooth.  I want to try it with a starved power supply or dying battery... I think that might be a very nice addition.

del
Yeah, I love the sputter. I was hopping that the Bee Baa would be as sputtery as I want it to be, but of course I've never tried one out... The Barge is something I might get. I'm not sure. It seems like with the treble booster it would get more sputtery or at least more aggressive sounding.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:56 pm

It seems like with the treble booster it would get more sputtery or at least more aggressive sounding.
unfortunately the Treble Booster on the BeeBaa is a separate circuit. It's either Fuzz or Boost, but not both. The boost is only okay, which is one reason the BCjr. leaves it off. A friend just bought one because he loved the sound of my BeeBaa, but he has a SHO to use with it, so the jr. was perfect...not to mention cheaper!
sleeping on a bed of fuzz and feedback

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:23 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
It seems like with the treble booster it would get more sputtery or at least more aggressive sounding.
unfortunately the Treble Booster on the BeeBaa is a separate circuit. It's either Fuzz or Boost, but not both. The boost is only okay, which is one reason the BCjr. leaves it off. A friend just bought one because he loved the sound of my BeeBaa, but he has a SHO to use with it, so the jr. was perfect...not to mention cheaper!
Ah, I thought that's how it worked.  However, running a treble booster in the Bee Baa would probably make it more aggressive sounding, no?

del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by del » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:07 am

StevenO wrote:
del wrote:

del
Yeah, I love the sputter. I was hopping that the Bee Baa would be as sputtery as I want it to be, but of course I've never tried one out... The Barge is something I might get. I'm not sure. It seems like with the treble booster it would get more sputtery or at least more aggressive sounding.
I've been fiddling around with my BBjr along with my Fuzz Face and my Rat and I've found some much more sputtery sounds.  I think the BB might have sputter within it, but I have yet to be able to dial it in easily... I do think starved voltage would do just the right thing.
del
The Kinks - The Fall – The Bad Seeds - Spacemen 3 - The Gories - Royal Trux
"The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world." - David Fair