Wanna hear my music?

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Wanna hear my new song?

Post by parry » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:00 am

Why have I not seen this thread, until now?
I'm glad I found it. I quite enjoyed that! :)
I'm glad you shared it and are getting the positive feedback it deserves - hopefully, it'll encourage you to keep making more - and to continue SHARING it!
;D

I can totally feel (and relate to) the "...it's late at night, the family's upstairs and I'm stealing time away to do something I love almost as much..."-vibe.
8)
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:57 am

Telliot wrote: Anyway, I really do appreciate your kind words and input. I never really allow myself/give anyone the opportunity the chance for anyone to hear my music, so I find this incredibly humbling and nerve racking. I normally keep these things close to my chest, holed up in a computer in my little studio.

My above-mentioned friend has been yelling at me for years to get off my ass and do something about it.
I agree with your friend, if this is what you're doing I could stand to hear some more.

;)

Goner
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Goner » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:03 am

I dig it.

Nice emotion to it, (or lack thereof, if you know what I mean.)

Musically, it's perfectly illustrative of the verse.

The pause in the middle with the almost exasperated/long-suppressed release when the jangly JM comes in is awesome.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:24 pm

Thanks guys! I'm very appreciative of your kind words, they mean a lot!
JazzBlaster wrote: I agree with your friend, if this is what you're doing I could stand to hear some more.
As soon as I read that, I thought, ohgod....I'm not sure my other songs are as good as this one...! And so begins the cycle of self-doubt that I've suffered from my entire creative life.

I really think it's something that has kept me from ever seriously pursuing a life in music, and now I'm 41, married, with 3 kids and a mortgage. Not in any way bad, but different than I imagined 20 years ago. Anyone else suffer from this disease?

I can honestly pinpoint its origin, which would be my parents' general lack of support in this venture growing up. It seems so lame to blame my issues on them, but their harsh criticisms, insistence that it was a dead end, and telling me I wasn't good enough to be a professional really stunted my growth, I think. Even now, as a grown man, I can hear their disapproval in the back of my head when I sing a particular lyric, or decide to use a major three chord, when I should have used a minor, etc... That shit is really powerful, something I won't be passing on to my kids.

Sorry for the personal backstory dump... :fp:
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:31 pm

Ok, think about all the horribly badly written music out there that people like...

You're shit's pretty good init? ;)

:D

timbo_93631
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timbo_93631 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:34 pm

I gave it a listen when you first posted, again now. Sounds good, I really like it.

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:12 pm

Telliot wrote:Thanks guys! I'm very appreciative of your kind words, they mean a lot!
JazzBlaster wrote: I agree with your friend, if this is what you're doing I could stand to hear some more.
As soon as I read that, I thought, ohgod....I'm not sure my other songs are as good as this one...! And so begins the cycle of self-doubt that I've suffered from my entire creative life.

I really think it's something that has kept me from ever seriously pursuing a life in music, and now I'm 41, married, with 3 kids and a mortgage. Not in any way bad, but different than I imagined 20 years ago. Anyone else suffer from this disease?

I can honestly pinpoint its origin, which would be my parents' general lack of support in this venture growing up. It seems so lame to blame my issues on them, but their harsh criticisms, insistence that it was a dead end, and telling me I wasn't good enough to be a professional really stunted my growth, I think. Even now, as a grown man, I can hear their disapproval in the back of my head when I sing a particular lyric, or decide to use a major three chord, when I should have used a minor, etc... That shit is really powerful, something I won't be passing on to my kids.

Sorry for the personal backstory dump...
Sorry... did I sell you the rights to my life story?
I'm confused... :derp:

;) :-*
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:20 pm

parry wrote:
Telliot wrote:Thanks guys! I'm very appreciative of your kind words, they mean a lot!

Sorry for the personal backstory dump...
Sorry... did I sell you the rights to my life story?
I'm confused...
I knew we were kindred spirits! :w00t:

Much to the chagrin of my nervous stomach, upon the urging of my awesome OSG friends, I've posted a handful of songs to my SoundCloud page. They aren't in any real order, although "I'm Fine" is the latest, followed by a mishmash of songs (some of which were recorded a good 10 years ago). I've played some of these for a few of you before, and you'll probably notice some stylistic variation between them.... :unsure:

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:51 pm

Telliot wrote: Much to the chagrin of my nervous stomach, upon the urging of my awesome OSG friends, I've posted a handful of songs to my SoundCloud page. They aren't in any real order, although "I'm Fine" is the latest, followed by a mishmash of songs (some of which were recorded a good 10 years ago). I've played some of these for a few of you before, and you'll probably notice some stylistic variation between them....
:w00t:

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:16 pm

"If she stays" is SOOOO good :-*

You been holding out on us... you jerk! :D

Stratelejazzuar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stratelejazzuar » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:24 pm

my bloody television wrote:Nice man, I really liked that. Your voice reminds me a lot of Elliott Smith. I especially love that last chord you hit on the guitar
Elliot Smith immediately came to mind when I heard you start singing. :)

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:34 pm

You're too hard on yourself! A year or two ago, you sent me a bunch of your stuff. I loved it! Up until I spilt coffee on my macbook, I used to listen to your stuff very often. Very. Often. :)

Such talent on this site. 8)

natthu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by natthu » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:31 pm

Telliot wrote:....I've posted a handful of songs to my SoundCloud page.
Wow. I am impressed. There are no stinkers in that lot. They'd make a very decent album :)

I'm looking forward to your future efforts.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:41 pm

Just an update...

I've got something in the works with another member here which could bare some very cool results. :ph34r:

basique
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by basique » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:24 pm

Listened to a few tracks. Sounds good Telliot.
Reminds me more of Iron and Wine so far I think than Elliot Smith, FWIW.

Edit: Next song sounded a lot more Elliot Smith..