EZX Alt Rock and 1 One Hits Expansion packs

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

EZX Alt Rock and 1 One Hits Expansion packs

Post by budda12ax7 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:47 pm

These are on sale...curious if anybody has used this and what's your take on them??

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: EZX Alt Rock and 1 One Hits Expansion packs

Post by jorri » Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:40 pm

I have the Alt Rock and think its pretty great. hard pressed to tell much difference with a real drummer, due to the naturalistic recording style (although perhaps that's down to how you sequence it as much as the tones). Also like that there is some timpani thrown in. Nails the Albini sound in my opinion and has plenty of adjustment - what it might lack is the fatter sounds of rock but then EZdrummer already comes with those - such that the kick can sound very 'acoustic' and timpani like rather than a concise or tight thud, although the sub kick included probably covers it. Nice quiet sounds too as it clearly switches over to beaters. The drum choices are sometimes not so obvious or normal so i have sometimes swapped individual drums out, for sure, but if you are familiar with Albini's work you know what to expect - there's a video out there on how he made the expansion. If you want that type of sound there's not a lot of processing so its probably almost mixed out the box with set comrpession and sometimes eq. The only thing i'd say is the 'FX' reverb, (not the ambient mic) is pretty lacking but preferable to apply your own anyway.

In that video he pretty much says that being a purist that he doesn't think what he has done is exactly 'ideal' but since not everyone can afford or have space, time, or an actual drummer willing to work with them then its great to have easier access and i echo that view really. I use it for demos and the occasional band track that seemed to end up being more than a demo - bought toward end of the lockdowns on 80% i especially needed something so would hook it up like a 'solo jam'.

Not tried the other - only Dreampop, which is interesting disparate collection of various types but not very 'Dreampop' more like 'dreamy pop' and has a lot of crunchy foley stuff i don't really use. Was thinking of EZX electronic which might be an alternative to the one hits- mainly because it looked huge and endless. The recent update had some cool stock kits in too from what i remember.