Frustrated with Presonus

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Frustrated with Presonus

Post by DeathJag » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:29 am

I purchased a StudioLive III 24 brand new three years ago. Last night it refused to power on. Presonus has since released a new model and because of this - they refuse to even take a look.

FUCK

THOSE

FUCKS

I guess they expect folks to just shrug their shoulders and say “welp, I’d better just throw this $2000 thing away and pay more for the new one!” I couldn’t even find anyone to talk to, their phone people just repeat how I need to submit a ticket.

This fuck-the-consumer shit really pisses me off.

FUCK PRESONUS TO HELL
Last edited by DeathJag on Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fuck Presonus

Post by Tafarel » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:49 am

I get it. I feel the same way about them. I bought a Presonus Firepod years ago. They had a couple of firmware updates and then it stopped communicating with my iMac. A short phone call to their (lack of) 'support' confirmed that it would no longer work with my OS.

So, yeah eff them. I will never buy another Presonus product again. In my case it was only $895, but still... never again.
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:59 am

It's very frustrating, and it's probably no major consolation to know that it's not just Presonus. Ending support after <3 years does seem to be rather extreme.

On one hand, these products are tech products, and it is maybe fair to expect obsolescence at some point (I doubt Apple would service the dusty G3 macbook I have in storage somewhere). Presonus is also typically more on the affordable side, so it's probably reasonable to expect a trade-off somewhere (but $2k isn’t exactly *cheap*, either)

But on the other hand, it doesn't really seem like good business to abandon product support that soon, no matter the price point.

The good news is, "does not power on" problems tend to be the easiest to troubleshoot and repair. If you're not a DIY type, maybe someone in your area could. I doubt a tech would need Presonus-specific knowledge (or even digital audio-specific knowledge) to troubleshoot a power supply issue, so maybe there's hope yet.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:23 am

Thank a lot for the thought. I loved taking things apart as a kid, and that instinct has been chiming. I looked for a fuse but it’s not outside. I may attempt to find the fuse inside. There was a thunderstorm and perhaps a surge caught it.

After going back and forth a few times through the ridiculous chat app that is the only way to interface with anyone with knowledge, he realized that he’d spoken incorrectly, and gave me a list of five places that are authorized service centers. I don’t know what was so hard about revealing their ACS locations.

Thanks for the replies, I feel so much calmer after venting!

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Frustrated with Presonus

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:05 am

Yeah, if it’s out of warranty definitely worth a look. Could be a simple repair.

I always view this stuff as computer hardware instead of music gear. I try to spend as little as I can to get something that does the job and not get too attached to it.

Marc
Expat
Expat

Post by Marc » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:49 am

Have to say I’m not a fan. Bought some active monitors with clearly a design fault but luckily was able to return them.

Have some Presonus headphones and they’re bloody uncomfortable and sound fantastically average.

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:17 pm

I’ve got a Presonus Firestudio working like a champ with my Intel Mac on Mojave. Looks like it will not make the transition to an Apple Silicon based machine, only because of an driver they won’t update. That said, their website sucks so it’s kind of hard to figure out what’s going on. Probably won’t do Presonus again for any hardware

fisonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fisonic » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:11 am

burpgun wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:17 pm
I’ve got a Presonus Firestudio working like a champ with my Intel Mac on Mojave. Looks like it will not make the transition to an Apple Silicon based machine, only because of an driver they won’t update. That said, their website sucks so it’s kind of hard to figure out what’s going on. Probably won’t do Presonus again for any hardware
Can you run the driver in compatability mode?

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:48 am

fisonic wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:11 am
burpgun wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:17 pm
Can you run the driver in compatability mode?
I’ll certainly try but my hope had been to run a clean all Apple Silicon native set up. I’ve been digging through all my software to see what I need to make the shift and moving out the stuff that may not be native compatible. This is my third Apple chip transition and it is really annoying.