Quick start guide for synth patch design? (i.e. pad, strings, brass, etc.)

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Quick start guide for synth patch design? (i.e. pad, strings, brass, etc.)

Post by stevejamsecono » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:19 am

Just got a Minilogue XD and enjoying it quite a bit so far. I'd like to dive a bit into more into the sound design aspect and start building my own patches for it so that I'm not using the factory presets. I know there's a wealth of Youtube material on creating various patch types, but in an effort to avoid the whole "what's UP youtube this is synthgod69 here, smash that like button, etc." thing, I was wondering if anyone knew of a like.... synth recipe book or quick start guide that covers a lot of the basics of various patch types that I could refer to instead? It'd be great to flip open a book, look up "Strings", see some starting points (i.e. square wave plus sawtooth an octave higher, add some lfo, etc.) so I could have a baseline to personalize from. Having it all in one place for easy reference would be a godsend.

Does such a book/guide/website exist?
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Quick start guide for synth patch design? (i.e. pad, strings, brass, etc.)

Post by stevejamsecono » Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:45 am

Realize this should have probably been in the "Other Instruments" section, but whatever. I found a solution!

Grabbed me this book over the week and it's basically answering all the questions I had so far: https://www.synthesizer-cookbook.com/

Just in case anyone was interested!
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS