When you record a guitar in a loud room...

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
northern_dirt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: When you record a guitar in a loud room...

Post by northern_dirt » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:02 am

øøøøøøø wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:40 pm
I don’t have much problem with a 57. I like them just fine on snare drum or distorted guitar cab (usually in combination with something else).

For awhile I used the M201 on snare top sometimes but have kind of drifted away from it lately.

I remember in the early ‘00s Steve Albini’s studio had a website with descriptions of all the microphones, and the description of the M201 said something like “what a SM57 would be like if it were actually a microphone” or something acerbic along those lines.

Correlation doesn’t equal causation, but almost exactly at that time a lot of Internet forum posters suddenly loved the M201 (which I’d never heard of before) and hated the SM57.

I was definitely one of them! But in hindsight that was a silly way for me to form an opinion about a microphone—it wasn’t based on impressions formed from actual long-term use, but rather on a kind of “appeal to authority.”

Nowadays I’m a bit more likely to use a 57 than an m201
My falling out with the 57 came before that.. I had borrowed some 421s
to mic up toms, and put one on a 412 next to a 57 to record some punk/metal.
and it just blew the shit out of the 57.
I didnt notice the m201 love until the last few years. And really it seems to be only
a handful of people who gravitate towards it over the 57.
Oh the quote is still on the Electric Audio website haha.. I generally am at odds
with Albini with his Anti-digital tape lust, and luddite work flow preferences
but I just laughed at his descriptions for the 57 and 201.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:43 am

northern_dirt wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:54 am
johnnysomersett wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:04 am
I've flip-flopped between SM57 and M201 on a snare many times. I always managed to get a decent sound from either but liked to back it up with an LDC pointed at the side of the drum...good for detail in delicate ghost notes and a bit extra body in the low end if you need it.
What LDC can you fit in there?
Pretty much any. There's tons of room between the hihat stand and high tom to point one in. Just make sure to phase align later with the close mic and you're all good. Loads of hat spill but you can just EQ what you want in or out. I wouldn't use it on its own but nice to have there anyway if you have a spare channel. We recorded on Sunday and I threw a spare U87 clone a few inches" from the shell rim. Fitted just fine and dandy.

You can see it here...

Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

northern_dirt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by northern_dirt » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:17 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:43 am

Pretty much any. There's tons of room between the hihat stand and high tom to point one in. Just make sure to phase align later with the close mic and you're all good. Loads of hat spill but you can just EQ what you want in or out. I wouldn't use it on its own but nice to have there anyway if you have a spare channel. We recorded on Sunday and I threw a spare U87 clone a few inches" from the shell rim. Fitted just fine and dandy.

You can see it here...

True say