Jaguar Pickups... Which ones do you like?

Got questions or suggestions? Want to show the world your dressing room creations? Post 'em here!
vintagedan23
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Jaguar Pickups... Which ones do you like?

Post by vintagedan23 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:56 pm

I am slowly putting a real 1965 Fender Jaguar back together and I am looking to see what Jaguar pickups are good and which ones are not so good. Its hard to find any good sound clips or videos on these pickups - if any one has some good sound clips please let me know. I'm not really looking for vintage correct sounding pickups. Just looking for a good sounding (not thin) Jaguar pickup.

I'm looking at the following pickups:

Lollars Jagaur Style Pickups

Curtis Novak JAG V Pickups

Fender Pure Vintage '65 Jagauar Pickups

Seymour Duncan Antiquity II for Jaguar Pickups

Thoughts on any of these?

Anything else out there I that I should be checking into.

davewrites
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jaguar Pickups... Which ones do you like?

Post by davewrites » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:52 am

Buddha pickups = hand-wound nirvana

I have set of Buddha T-style Alnico IIIs, which are awesome and affordable. I'm going to ask Tim to spec me a set of Jag pups in the new year. Admittedly, Jag pups aren't in high demand, but I know he put a set in his personal Jag that he's proud of and he's ready/willing to make more.

You can reach Tim/Buddha several different ways (he's also a member of this forum "buddha0709"). About the easiest way to make contact is through his Reverb.coms storefront.

Definitely worth sending him a message and asking for a quote. I assume he'll be cheaper than all four options you've listed in the OP.
Nothing is anything until it is written. After that, it's everything.

bzhyoyo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by bzhyoyo » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:54 am

bare knuckles pickup of the Johnny Marr jaguar. Sweet !

daCod
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daCod » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:01 am

i'll second the marr knuckle pups. sound super ace.
will also say that for the price you can't beat a set of the AVRI65 Jag pups. love mine clean. love mine fuzzed. they're all around great for whatever sound i'm after.
your paranoia must be weapons-grade.
“I have terrible hearing trouble. I have unwittingly helped to invent and refine a type of music that makes its principal proponents deaf.” ~ PT

gutter rock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gutter rock » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:38 am

I was always a fan of the fender '62 AVRI pups although I know a lot of peeps here would disagree. However, the av65 pups are even better. To me they kind of make a lot of boutique pups obsolete unless you are looking for some kind hotter or different pup. If you want a standard jag sound, the av65 are hard to beat especially for the money.

straightblues
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by straightblues » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:26 pm

Don Mare just wound me a set of Jaguar pickups that are wonderful. He is more known for Tele pickups, but he knows vintage Fender tones.