4 Pickup Jagmasterblaster

Got questions or suggestions? Want to show the world your dressing room creations? Post 'em here!
fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Re: 4 Pickup Jagmasterblaster

Post by fullerplast » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:40 am

Aren't the standard slide switches DPDT?
Yes, they are (or at least DPST).  I was 'under the influence' when I was thinking about this last night. 

It would work, with the other side grounded like Doc says.
Last edited by fullerplast on Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Q. Are we not men?

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:27 am

Orang Goreng wrote: You need to draw two extra ground wires to match up with the red wires, then it would work. You'd end up with parallell humbuckers though, so the sound would be thinner and with lower output when the extra coils are engaged.
I would just need to ground the second coil/pickup right?  I figured that much but just didn't draw it as it already shows the pickup grounded.  So how would I get it to not be parralell?  Have one pickup, say the neck, be reverse wound like a JM?  How is this done to prevent thet thinner sound in a normal two humbucker guitar, like a Les Paul or something?

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:29 am

Haha...  I remember seeing that now.  It must have been subconcious.  :-[  I actually went with black and white becuase it was esiest to photoshop but it looks cool as hell too.  Love the black blocks and binidng with this black/white scheme.
Sauerkraut wrote: you forgot to mention you were inspired by my jagmaster http://public.fotki.com/sauerkraut/dres ... nextt.html

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:08 am

Jay wrote: I would just need to ground the second coil/pickup right? 
Yeah, both pickups need to be a closed circuit. The way it looks now is that the coils with the read wire have an open end.
So how would I get it to not be parralell?  Have one pickup, say the neck, be reverse wound like a JM?  How is this done to prevent thet thinner sound in a normal two humbucker guitar, like a Les Paul or something?
In a normal (serial) humbucker, only one of the coils is connected to ground (first lead, A). The second lead (B) is connected to the first lead (C) of the second coil, and the second lead (D) of that coil is connected to output.

So you want a situation where in one position (only second coil active) C is connected to ground, and in the other position(both coils active) C is connected to B, but not to ground. And that for two pickups.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:31 am

So the switch would then need to sit between the first pickups/coils and the second.  If I'm thinking correctly, it would lift the hot and connect it the the seconds ground causing them to operate like a humbucking pickup.  This definitely is more complicated then what I drew up.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:22 am

Yeah, you need a reversible ground to avoid grounding it out when you flipped the switch for the second coil in series.

I've done the series mod on a couple of Teles using a four way switch. On the first one, I found out that if you don't disconnect the bridge cover ground from the black lead, everything grounds out and dies when it flips to the series position. When the circuit reverses, the clack lead becomes hot and it would shunt to ground through the bridge cover...  and kill everything. Of course, had I read the instructions I would have known to isolate the cover from the black lead and saved myself some aggravation. I'm no electronics expert either...

??? ;)

In this case, though... I don't think it having them in parallel would be so bad. Not unlike a Strat in positions 2 and 4. The only difference would be the two coils are closer together by a few inches, giving it a more bassy or Trebly sound (as the case may be).
Last edited by fullerplast on Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Q. Are we not men?