Some Of The Old Designs I Came Up With Years Back

Got questions or suggestions? Want to show the world your dressing room creations? Post 'em here!
Mad-Mike
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Some Of The Old Designs I Came Up With Years Back

Post by Mad-Mike » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:08 am

WARNING: There is some major Hair Metal and Photoshopping ahead, so if you can't stand to see Fender Jaguar style guitars with "Butt Rock" Headstocks, or locking trems, then please, at least, if you just have to look, go easy on me. 

This stuff was all drawn up years ago as a high school student who had never played a Jaguar before, back when I was half to believing all the myths about the tremelo and the bridge on it (that it can't do dive bombs, and stay in tune, and so fourth).  I was primarily into Alternative at first, but always had a liking for 80's music too, so I crossed the two influences, and here's some stuff I've came up with back in those dark days of 1995-1998.  I figured it'd be interested to model these up and see what they look like.

My First Idea, Jaguar w/ Reverse Headstock and 3 EMG pickups

Then It Cut it down to two after playing a Les Paul custom and deciding I did not like the sound of three humbuckers

When the wolfgang came out, I wanted something a little more "upscale" looking, so I came up with this, and decided I could maybe substitude a Jackson style neck of some sort, not giving a thought to the fact that ANY Jackson is not a 24" scale.

Here's one from my Van-Halen phase...ha

Here's Possibly the most "offensive" of em' all, this sucker had an AMAZING wiring diagram too, tone controls for each humbucker on the lead circuit, 2 Seymour Duncan Invaders, a Kahler Trem, a Jaguar pickup in the middle, circuit independent pickup switching, and a 24" scale 24 fret neck with a Gibson Explorer style reverse headstock, and black hardware. 

After getting my Jag-Stang, about 2 years before playing a Jaguar (and changing my view on 2 humbuckers and a locking trem completley), this was my idea for awhile, a Floyd Rose equipped Jaguar, so I could find parts more easily should it get beat up during gigs.

Then, I played, decided I liked, and GOT a Jaguar, amazing how much actually playing one changes your desires.  I went from that monster with HSH and a locking  trem, to finding THIS to be absolutley perfect.  Only difference between this and a stock jag, the pickups and lead circuit pots (500K and SD Cool Rails, and all in all, it still sounds very close to a bone stock Fender Jaguar).  The original plan was to return it to bone stock with a black pickguard and pickup covers, but the cool rails sounded so close to the original, I could not justify $120 to put in new pickups and pots + all that trim I wanted to change.

In Sea Foam Green

And Lake Placid Blue

And Vintage White
It's Me

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Some Of The Old Designs I Came Up With Years Back

Post by StevenO » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:07 pm

Vomit? Yes, please!

:-X

Mad-Mike
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mad-Mike » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:27 pm

StevenO wrote: Vomit? Yes, please!

:-X
Lol, glad you like my mutant kids (snicker).

Actually, I'm kinda surprised it's taken this long for anybody to say anything.  I was at least expecting a complaint or two about "hair metal" headstocks.
It's Me

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:43 pm

heheh...I think they're kinda cool, actually :)
Resident Spartan.

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:47 pm

This one seems like something Jim Shine would collect...
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:42 pm

Orang Goreng wrote: This one seems like something Jim Shine would collect...
Hahahaha

That is actually pretty funny.

Justin
A death’s head ring upon his finger

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:31 pm

I have to confess something of a soft spot in my heart for the Gibson Explorer/Kramer banana/hockey stick headstocks...

I bet some of those designs would sell huge in Japan.
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:41 pm

I love banana head Kramer's.  Despite the appearance they're nicely built guitars.  And I'd love a JM style shred machine.  I don't think it'd look quite like any of these though...  honestly, they are pretty hideous for the most part.

Naturality
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Naturality » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:57 pm

Well the er..... Offensive one looks kinda.... .errr....... :-X
I love the way your Jag with hotrails sounds. I saw your Youtube videos with it, and it sounds amazing, and so do you.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:09 am

I like the last four .. shame I was almost blind by the time I got down there.

;)

Just kidding .. the earlier ones just aren't my taste, that's all. It's always nice to see people thinking outside the box though.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

Mad-Mike
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mad-Mike » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:30 am

Naturality wrote: Well the er..... Offensive one looks kinda.... .errr....... :-X
I love the way your Jag with hotrails sounds. I saw your Youtube videos with it, and it sounds amazing, and so do you.
Thanks, the last four are all variations on the Jag I have now.  It took me 8 years to finally get to see what a REAL Jaguar sounds like, and 10 to get one, by the 8 had passed, I had decided the metal designs were not my cup of tea because the reliced 63' Jaguar I played did all the things those metal guitars could do.

Then I got my first Jag (the Burst CIJ with the cool rails) around this time last year for $640.  I bought it with the intention of returning the entire guitar to bone stock (it had a Tune O Matic, and the pickups are cool rails, both bridge position cool rails oddly enough).  When I got it though, it sounded so close to the 63' I decided to keep the cool rails and just swap the bridge for a stock Jaguar Bridge. Still not satisfied with the looks due to the rails lack of the Jaguar pickup style, I got a pair of CIJ pickup covers, cut the tops off level with the pickups, and will probably be throwing a pair of claws on soon (probably when I order all the stuff to Rewire the Jag-Stang).  The other four would be what I'd do if I were to make more of my main Jag.

Overall though, those years before I could even find a Jaguar to listen to stock, before then the only Jag I heard with distortion was Kurts, and htat thing had hums, and I had a love-hate relationship with my Kramer Focus 3000 (a $trat style guitar with a pointy headstock and an original Floyd Rose). So I went through a lot of changes.  At first I wanted a Cobain Jag, then I started learning lead and using the Trem, so that's where the Jackson and Van-Halen designs came in because I'd played a Jazzmaster, and could not get enough travel to get a good dive out of the trem.  The 63' Changed all that.  The darn thing was strung up with 10's, the trem was almost topped out in spring tension where the bar had a real good lot of downward travel, and the pickups musta' been some Ybarra wound pickups because they were FAT toned and Loud, yet they were the originals. That one Vintage Fender Jaguar changed my entire outlook on the whole thing.
It's Me

burker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burker » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:28 am

hah i kinda dig the van halen one, reminds me of my first jazzmaster (which had a reversed maple neck, and a gotoh hardtail bridge......i miss that thing.)

eyesadrift
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eyesadrift » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:36 am

errrrr... no comment...

slomomarc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by slomomarc » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:00 am

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D