90-degree cables - Who uses them? Why? Why not?

Got questions or suggestions? Want to show the world your dressing room creations? Post 'em here!
Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 90-degree cables - Who uses them? Why? Why not?

Post by Futuron » Mon May 20, 2024 1:49 am

I find that Strat boats and some recessed side jacks don't benefit from the angled plugs (some don't even plug in). So my guitar set-up uses a (very long) straight-ended cable, even though I'd prefer the angled approach for the guitars it works with. For bass, it's always angled.

Always tucked through the strap.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Mon May 20, 2024 4:59 am

Sometimes you need to, sometimes you can't use them.

LVC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LVC » Mon May 20, 2024 5:02 am

I don't have any at the moment, even though they're the most convenient and comfortable option for most of my guitars. The plug on my one good 90-degree cable died recently and I keep forgetting to buy replacements. I usually recycle failing cables into patch cords for my pedalboards, and my spare angled plugs tend to end up on them.

I was curious about these pivoting plugs, but at more than 60 euros after shipping+VAT+import duties+handling fee, I'm not really curious anymore...

Create art, not content

BeardedRainbow
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BeardedRainbow » Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:57 pm

LVC wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 5:02 am
I don't have any at the moment, even though they're the most convenient and comfortable option for most of my guitars. The plug on my one good 90-degree cable died recently and I keep forgetting to buy replacements. I usually recycle failing cables into patch cords for my pedalboards, and my spare angled plugs tend to end up on them.

I was curious about these pivoting plugs, but at more than 60 euros after shipping+VAT+import duties+handling fee, I'm not really curious anymore...

That'a an interesting idea but I would worry about all the stress on the cable after bending back and forth so much.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:31 pm

Yeah, that's a terrible idea.

A solution to a non-problem that introduces a new and different failure point.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Matthias
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Matthias » Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:18 am

Right-angles on anything it’ll fit. As long as you get the right jack, they’ll even go in a tele cup and loop straight around to the strap. I always see straight plugs as having enough leverage to cause damage if knocked. Most of my amps have panels on the top so a straight jack makes sense there, but most guitars get a right-angle jack. Strats… erm…

But yeah, I always loop the cable through the strap and use strap locks!

MrSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrSparkle » Sat Jun 22, 2024 3:38 am

Right angle cable, tucked behind strap, which is held on with a cap washer (like Grolsch, but bought new, and they were a pack of twelve for a quid).

Since I don't have a traditional strat or telecaster, I have nothing with a recessed jack. The Stardust's and Showmaster are LP style plastic plates, and every other guitar I own is a Squier offset with the jack on the guard or control plate.

I can't say I'm not interested in aesthetics, so I understand the "long jack looks cool" argument - but for me; the elegance of a solution is part of the aesthetic appeal, and I can't get past how impractical the straight jack looks on anything except a strat - and that's only because the impractical-ness has moved to the jack boat thing instead. A couple people on Squier-Talk have recently modded "contemporary" series to get a vintage-loadout strat but with a carved heel and a side jack. It's probably peak "unsuper" strat for me!

pistonetti
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by pistonetti » Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:23 am

I prefer 90-degree cables, straight ends make me feel like I have an unnecessary bulge in my guitar. I'm a LP player mainly, so it makes sense to me having a cable that follows the contour of my guitar.

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:31 am

90 degree angle out the guitar and for patching pedals. Straight going in and out of the board itself. Likely learned to tuck the cable behind the strap from my bandmate.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:18 am

I tried using my right-angled Bullet cable with my Tele yesterday, and as I didn't have a strap at home to anchor it, the weight of the cable meant it was unable to resist gravity's pull for any length of time. Swapped it for a cheap, very thin cable I had handy and didn't notice the sound being at all sub-standard.

I've noticed some guitars not liking that Bullet Cable in the past. I wonder if the jack is a millimetre or so on the slim side.

MrSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrSparkle » Mon Jul 01, 2024 2:19 am

I tried using my right-angled Bullet cable with my Tele yesterday, and as I didn't have a strap at home to anchor it, the weight of the cable meant it was unable to resist gravity's pull for any length of time.
I've noticed some guitars not liking that Bullet Cable in the past. I wonder if the jack is a millimetre or so on the slim side.
That's definitely not normal, no. I don't have that issue with Fender tweeds, Ernie balls, the random DIY cable with a Neutrik jack, curly vox...
UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:18 am
Swapped it for a cheap, very thin cable I had handy and didn't notice the sound being at all sub-standard.
Everyone's ears are different! Those things are torture for me. I also intensely dislike the Vox curly cable mentioned above. Serious tone suck - as in immediately obvious level. So; I only use that for jazzy neck-pickup stuff. :D