Hello, I'm new here in search of advice

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
Glenn R
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Hello, I'm new here in search of advice

Post by Glenn R » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:00 pm

ImageHi all.
I wanted to share my project and get some advice as I have almost finished it.
At New Years, I was given a 1971 Fender Mustang once owned by my deceased brother-in-law. From what I was able to find out about it, it was abused prior to his ownership. Since he was a craftsman and a loved to play around with some of his other instruments, I imagine this one was on a back burner for a redo.
He passed 10 years ago and it was left for quite awhile in uncontrolled climate areas before my sister gave it proper shelter. Years after her rescuing it, she passed it on to me. That being said, there was some mild surface corrosion on metal parts such as the tuner housings, screw heads and pitting on chrome plates. My plan was to dismantle, clean and refinish the body with a color similar to the original. After the tear down, this is what I found.

1971 Fender Competition Mustang (Looked like the original color found in the neck pocket was Burgundy Blue)
Stamped names in the neck pocked are I. Chambers and Garcia.
Date stamp on base of neck is 16 SEP 71 B
The neck was in good shape and straight as an arrow. No warping. Will need a fret job down the road. (I've cleaned and oiled the fret board)
The tuners look to be original Kluson Deluxe and there was no indication under them that they had ever been changed. (Now cleaned and lubed)
The body was a mess. It had been stripped of the original finish with what looks like 100 grit sandpaper, by hand, leaving low spots. An additional cavity was drilled and chiseled out between the to original pickup cavities to accommodate a Gibson mini humbucker. A toggle switch cavity was also carved in the side of the switch cavity between the factory switches and wired in for the humbucker. The switch was broken.
The pick guard may have been original but was destroyed with "potato chipping", shrinkage and the cutout for the humbucker and switch. (Pick guard now replaced)
The pickups had been replaced with single-coil DiMarzio SDS 1's. (Both test out at 9.4 ohms)
The two SWITCHCRAFT pickup switches might be original. (Both function)
Control pots are 250K and look to have been replaced as the housings are stamped with a date code for 1977 & 78.
Jack output is SWITCHCRAFT and might be original.
Bridge plate assembly and saddles appear original. (I cleaned and flipped the saddles for shiny side up.)
The cigar and neck plate are interesting. The neck plate, according to my research, is from a 1957 Stratocaster with a dash and five digit number.
The cigar has a trem bar straight head set screw with the internal "machined in" sliding wedge that tightens against the arm. I've been told it is also from the 50's era. Unfortunately I sent the cigar off for re-chroming before I had that information. It was in very bad shape on the entire top side. Since I'm not concerned with loss of value on this abused guitar, I'm not crying about it. The neck plate will remain untouched and has been reinstalled after a light waxing to shine it up.

Question: From looking and searching the web for weeks I have tried to find the proper grounding for the control pots and bridge plate and saddles. And if the ground should be grounded to the cavity's shielding. Nothing was grounded to the original shielding plate under the pots. All original brass or copper shield plates are daisy chained together. Nothing was grounded to any of the shield plates. The ground for the bridge plate was a small 1 inch wire between control plate and bridge plate. I'm changing that because I don't want to pinch that wire down at the closest contact point and indent the finish. Instead, I drilled a 3/16th inch hole between the bridge pickup cavity and the bridge plate spring cavity closest to the controls. Then ran a 24 AWG wire into the control cavity from the bridge spring cavity. My plan is to pinch the end of the ground wire under the small shoulder of the saddle thimble and under the bridge plate at the same point. Then make sure the wire will not interfere with the spring and solder the other end to the control cavity shielding plate. Also solder the volume pot to the shielding plate at the same point.
The ground of the output jack has never been soldered since it mounts to a metal plate with the volume and tone pots. Should I also ground the output jack to the same shielding point?

Sorry for the long description but I'm having fun getting this guitar back in better shape. Looking forward to trying my hand at the setup and testing. I can't figure out how to insert images.
Thanks for the read and any advice or criticism. I will gladly take it.

jthomas
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Hello, I'm new here in search of advice

Post by jthomas » Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:34 pm

I cannot help, but can say Hullo and welcome you to this little corner of the internet. The pics aren't showing in my browser. You might want to check that out as pictures will likely tell the tale.

Glenn R
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Glenn R » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:02 pm

Thanks JT. I have tried to figure out how to link a pic but it hasn't worked. I'll try again. The only photo share app I have is google photo. I'll look around. I would like to show the before and after shots or any others that might be of interest on this project.

Glenn R
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Glenn R » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:25 pm

Another try at posting photos.

Glenn R
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Glenn R » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:29 pm

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:17 am

Welcome, great looking Mustang (before and after!)

Yes you want to ground the brass plates in the cavities to the back of a pot somewhere, and yeah you may as well run a ground to the output Jack as well. I'm not 100% what would have been vintage accurate but in my eyes grounding something with an extra wire if unsure isn't going to have any downside.

Glenn R
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Glenn R » Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:20 am

Thanks GreenKnee,
I'll ground the volume pot and the output jack to the center of the brass shield. I will also ground the bridge plate and saddle thimble to that same point. I'm not worried about being vintage accurate as this Frankenstang has been beat up. There was no humming when I got it but that might be because I only had it plugged into a 9V DC amp. After I'm done, I'll test it on a AC amp and hope for the best.

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:33 pm

Welcome aboard man!
Wow I actually love the before and wouldn't have changed a thing! I adore DiMarzio sds-1 pickups, too. Guy sure had good taste.
...any plans for those pickups and old guard...? :ph34r:
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

Glenn R
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Glenn R » Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:25 pm

Hi Pacafeliz,
I guess you have had to have seen and feel the body before and up close. What ever it had been coated with was sticky enough to have adhered to a couple of places where it had been touching the red fabric in the case liner. It was also rough enough to catch clothing like sweaters or fine sheets.
As far as the Dimarzio's, I know they are highly rated and I put them in the new pick guard and reinstalled. I had to clean them up nicely because the adjustable pole points had some bad surface corrosion. I understand some folks might think I should have left it as it was but I felt like that would not have made it any better. I would never refinish anything if it was original unless it was unavoidable. It's the perfect beater to try and bring back to life.

Glenn R
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Glenn R » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:05 pm

Pacafeliz,
Sorry, I forgot to address your question on my plans for the pick guard. I will be keeping it even though it is in bad shape. It had shrunk by almost .25 of an inch and potato chipped with a upper bow in the center since there was no place for a center screw after the addition of the third pickup. I will also be keeping the Gibson mini humbucker that was added. I want to keep them all together as this guitar will continue to live long after I'm gone. I hope. I will tell you I have taken many pictures and done as much research as I can into this guitar's life. The information is all stored on a flash drive in a special box I custom made for the cavity where the center pickup was located. The nice little wooden box has the same finish as the body so it matches and a dedication to my brother-in-law. It will be found one day.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:02 pm

Pacafeliz wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:33 pm
Welcome aboard man!
Wow I actually love the before and wouldn't have changed a thing! I adore DiMarzio sds-1 pickups, too. Guy sure had good taste.
Hahaha, you're always on the hunt for those old SDS-1's
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:08 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:02 pm
Pacafeliz wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:33 pm
Welcome aboard man!
Hahaha, you're always on the hunt for those old SDS-1's
Yessir! ;D
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

Glenn R
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Glenn R » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:02 pm

The 1971 Fender Mustang is back together. Might need a few small setup adjustments but seems to be doing well.