Hello there! Assembling Warmoth JM…

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
DustyChatfield
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Hello there! Assembling Warmoth JM…

Post by DustyChatfield » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:27 pm

Hello there folks,

Guitarist of 30 years living in the Rocky Mountains, here. I play mostly blues/jazz/rock. I recently started ordering Warmoth parts for a Jazzmaster-ish build. I’ve snooped around the forum a bit and was on TDPRI for years. Currently, I am a bit out of date in my technical understandings, so I wouldn’t mind getting some feedback from y’all.

I’ve got a transparent blue JM ash body and a wenge neck/ebony fretboard already in the works. I moved the input from the pickguard to a bottom side route.

I am not concerned with recreating a traditional Jazzmaster. I want to run at least one Charlie Christian PUP in the neck and possibly bridge position. Also considering Mastery bridge and trem.

In terms of the wiring harness, I don’t need much more than something vaguely Tele-like. I don’t really want to mess with the rhythm circuit stuff above the strings. I don’t like the Gibson-style switch, I am too prone to accidentally hitting it when I strum. I was thinking about switching it out for a blade-style switch and possibly moving it somewhere else (maybe where the JM input jack usually goes into the pickguard). I also wouldn’t mind trying to add a Jaguar-style metal control plate. From what I can tell, it looks like WDmusic has a Thurston Moore style JM pickguard that seems designed with that in mind?

Do any of y’all have strong opinions on any of these thoughts, or other suggestions? Are a pair of Charlie Christians going to hum too much if I am playing this in an old dive bar?

Nice to meet y’all, happy to hear anyone’s thoughts.

Dusty

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Hello there! Assembling Warmoth JM…

Post by Embenny » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:43 pm

Welcome. Sounds like you'd probably get along with fellow new forum member Azureglo, who has modded a couple of Squiers in a very similar direction.

They'd probably be in a better position than anyone to talk about CC pickups in Jazzmasters.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.