Hello Everyone! New Jazzmaster owner here!

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
CathyKlysmik
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Hello Everyone! New Jazzmaster owner here!

Post by CathyKlysmik » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:05 am

Hi I've been a Stratocaster player for some time but have always been intrigued by offset guitars. I like 60s surf rock guitars for their dreamy tremolo and pickups sounds. But I have never found any affordable ones near me until a week ago when an affinity Jazzmaster showed up in the classified ads. I bought it right away!

It's basically a neck and a body, a pair of humbuckers, some pots.. nothing working yet. I plan to order some cheap parts and turn it into a playable guitar!

:)

Caddy65
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Hello Everyone! New Jazzmaster owner here!

Post by Caddy65 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:34 am

Humbuckers are going to vastly different than normal Jazzmaster pickups. Normal Jazzmaster pickups have a unique sound which are a main part of what makes a Jazzmaster a Jazzmaster.

I also didn’t thing the Affinity came with any term unit.

CathyKlysmik
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by CathyKlysmik » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:30 am

Yes the affinity came with 2 humbuckers and a string through fixed bridge. I'm not a big fan of humbuckers, and got the guitar cos it cost less than what an alder body and maple neck would cost. I definitely want jazzmaster single coils, love how they sound! It's why I got this 'project' guitar! 😊

There will be some routing involved to enlarge the swimming pool cavity for the pickups, and a new trem cavity.

I know a mastery tremolo and bridge is the way to go, but I'm not sure if I can get by with a generic aliexpress tremolo and fit a better spring to it, and also a generic aliexpress mustang style bridge? The costs I cut here will help pay for the router bits and dremmel sanding loops.

I really have no idea what I ought to do which is why I'm here at OSG. Ha ha. I'm ordering an american jazzmaster pickguard first. Figured it will let me find out where the pickup cavities and bridge posts need to me. Sort of like a template? Am I way off here?

Caddy65
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Caddy65 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:35 am

I have been a big fan of Jazzmasters since bought a new 1964 sunburst Jazzmaster new, right after high school graduation.

What have now is a 2012 Sqiure Jazzmaster, also in sunburst (to match the old one that sadly has been gone for years. Only mods I have made to it are a Graphtec nut, Fender ‘62 pickups and a dab of BLUE Loctite on the saddle and bridge screws. Still my favorite guitar. Sounds and plays great.

CathyKlysmik
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by CathyKlysmik » Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:39 pm

Well at least yours is working!. Mine isnt. I have another HS jazzmaster that needs putting together. I do not like the jazzmaster pickup on it. Ot the BHK humbucker. It's in a sunburst colour like yours. But I'm not really motivated to work on it. I'd rather see what I can do with the affinity. Hope I dont mess up!

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:02 pm

Those Affinity JMs are nice. A few members here have done some cool mods to them. The XII conversion is probably my favorite.

CathyKlysmik
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by CathyKlysmik » Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:39 am

;) thanks for the heads up! I'll do a search for the XII thread !