Rescued my father's collection (a life long offset fan)

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
T70
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Rescued my father's collection (a life long offset fan)

Post by T70 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:58 pm

Hi all!

My father passed a few years ago, and had been in poor health for quite a while. His whole life, he hung onto his Fender collection, mostly Jazzmasters and Jaguars, and many amps and cabs to boot. Unfortunately in his later years his house had started to deteriorate, but despite my pleas to sell that old guitar collection to fix it, he never did! After his passing, I came and gathered the collection and have done some minor rehabilitation, as the house was quite humid for many years. The cases all had mold which I cleaned, and I also wiped down the guitars themselves (minimally, wanting to maintain the condition). They've now been in a properly humidity controlled house for a few years and no permanent harm seems to have been done.

He had some cool notes that I found in the house with origin stories. Some were his band guitars, and some he bought from ads in the paper (all many decades ago)

I sold a few before I appreciated what they were, which I somewhat regret, but thankfully I held onto what I think are the best ones. I joined the board to both share knowledge (I've been soaking it up like a sponge), and also to learn how to restore a few that need some TLC. I'm going to try my hand at a rewire soon, and maybe a refin as well. I also need some parts (and maybe have a few as well!), so maybe I can get enough posts to enter the sales forum soon.

Anyway, here are a few pics!

My mom with the collection before I was born (early 80s). How about that wallpaper?:

The collection (moved to a "safe house"):

Cleaning the mold out of the cases:

Most of the guitars!

Probably my favorite, an all original with case candy 1960. The story on this one is he and his friend saw an ad in the paper and drove about two hours to get it. The original owner had won it brand new (in 1960) after winning a guitar playing contest. How cool is that?

Bonus: a Showman!

T70
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Rescued my father's collection (a life long offset fan)

Post by T70 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:16 pm

Here are two more of my favs. A LPB 63 (it's a refin, but an old refin) and a 65 Jaguar (original Oly white). I've read the "sunglasses" case is somewhat rare. It's a pretty cool case.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:17 am

FUCK ME!!!!! Holy shit!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing! Cool
Dad! Are you gonna keep em or sell em?

pawnzito
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pawnzito » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:54 am

That LPB Jazzy is gourgeous, and that sunglass case is so rad! What an incredible collection, it'd be interesting to know how your dad came across these or the story of each.

T70
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by T70 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:07 pm

Thanks guys. He got all these way before they were desirable, mostly in the 70s and 80s. And there were some turds in the collection as well lol. He was the rhythm player in a 50’s tribute band so I guess the offsets spoke to him.

I appreciate the interest, maybe I’ll append this post with some history. Unfortunately all I know is what’s in his notes, I wish I would have taken more interest while he could still tell me about them :(

I will probably decide on 5 or so to keep for my own turn to pass down some day and sell the rest. But I will be respectful of this forum’s rules and wait till I get to 50 posts.

Axolotl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Axolotl » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:27 pm

Wow, this is amazing. What a collection! . And the pic with your mother in it it's the coolest thing. Do I see a few newer pieces as well? The blue mustang-like lying on the floor at the right looks like a pawnshop model? All fo them are amazing, the LPB Jazzy and the 1960 are to die for. :-*

T70
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by T70 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:07 pm

Axolotl wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:27 pm
Wow, this is amazing. What a collection! . And the pic with your mother in it it's the coolest thing. Do I see a few newer pieces as well? The blue mustang-like lying on the floor at the right looks like a pawnshop model? All fo them are amazing, the LPB Jazzy and the 1960 are to die for. :-*
Wow, what an eye! Yes that is indeed the Pawnshop Mustang. Saving that one for our daughter :)

beauzooka
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by beauzooka » Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:03 pm

:?

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:38 pm

A picture of a pile of offsets and a cat? Yeah, your dad would have fit in here just fine :D

I would say keep a few choice ones yourself and find homes for the rest, now is a great time to sell offsets so you shouldn't have much trouble. Just be wary of unscrupulous dealers trying to muscle-in to take advantage...I expect you'll have a few sneaky messages in your inbox as there's definitely some people who don't really post but lurk on this board (shops, dealers, etc) that will try to get you to sell to them, especially with them being in such clean condition!
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:34 am

Wow! That is an amazing collection! :w00t:
That White & B&B Jag and the Showman! :-*

offabit
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by offabit » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:24 am

Wow. Good luck with deciding what to keep!

LVC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LVC » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:39 am

What an incredible collection! :w00t: :?

I think everybody here would love to see a thread with lots of details and pics... I know I would!
Create art, not content

krossfader
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by krossfader » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:13 am

This is a truly epic collection. Your dad had great taste! Sorry for your loss.

Looks like he also had some Fender memorabilia and a ton of amps. Everything looks pristine.

I'm sure everyone would love to hear as much about these as you'd be willing to share.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:49 am

krossfader wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:13 am
This is a truly epic collection. Your dad had great taste! Sorry for your loss.

Looks like he also had some Fender memorabilia and a ton of amps. Everything looks pristine.

I'm sure everyone would love to hear as much about these as you'd be willing to share.
Absolutely!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

whitewatersky
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by whitewatersky » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:08 am

Sorry to hear about your dad. Such a great collection too!!!

How did the case cleaning go? I’ve been away for a coupla weeks and a few of mine are all mouldy again - grrrr
Did the sunlight help?