Squier brought me here

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
Nirotic
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Squier brought me here

Post by Nirotic » Fri May 06, 2022 4:27 pm

New to the site after finding good information to help set up a new Jazzmaster. Here's the story... a nice used Squier Jaguar caught my wife's eye in GC (she's drawn to good colors). Who was I to stop another guitar from coming in the house. Luckily this one appeared to have been totally setup and played wonderfully. However, I'm a tall guy and felt a bit cramped by the short scale. GC had a new Squier Jazzmaster on sale so I traded a Schecter that was COOL but I just didn't mess with for the Jazzmaster. I'm comfortable with setups so I replaced strings (10s for the stock 9s), shimmed the neck, adjusted the action and pickups, and made necessary truss rod adjustments (more than I expected was required). Unfortunately the bridge would lower after about an hour of playing (assuming the vibration was turning the high E bridge adjustment screw). So I added threadlock to the height adjustment screws. I was also having issues with the nut. G and B strings sounded like the were catching on a burr during big string bends and the G string was nearly dead (very little sustain). I tried lubricating with homemade nut sauce (petroleum jelly and graphite powder) but that only helped minimally. So I ordered a TUSQ nut. The nut arrived today. The old one popped right out (I was expecting a struggle) and the new was a perfect fit. Now I feel like I have entry level Fender offset guitars for about 1/3 the price. Lovin' the Jaguar and the Jazzmaster even more!

I almost forgot the chipped poly along the skunk strip. The right grit sandpaper (220 and 600) and some new poly and that is fixed too and the more matte finish actually feels better than the original gloss.