Hi new member from Scotland.

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
Hammy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Hi new member from Scotland.

Post by Hammy » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:54 am

Hi,

What an amazing resource this is for OSG's. The level of work and creativity here is brilliant. I hope to learn a lot.

Little about me.
MY name is Ian, but I am more commonly known as Hammy - no idea why, but it's been with me for 45yrs!! I'm a guitarist and hobbyist builder. I've played and built guitars for over 40yrs and I've never even played let alone built an off-set - with the exception of recently building me an offset Jazz bass.

I have considered buying a Jazz/Jag but I get more pleasure out of the build process and the fact I don't have an off set guitar has been gnawing away at me for years....

I moved to Scotland couple years back after giving music a break while raising a family... now I have converted my garage into a workshop/studio place and currently started recording again and getting back into the music community. I plan to start my off-set build this coming weekend. I am a strat man at heart and at one point in my life had about 30 of them (yes, I was hooked on gear). I've now whittled things down to what I actually use and play.

Looking forward to learning as much as I can from here and learning whatever I can about OSG's.

A couple of pics...this is my guitar wall and my gear.... I built the pedal board last month. The red off set bass I built from various parts. All the strats and Tele I built myself (the red strat is a Yamaha). The Jazz bass was completely self build - poplar and Maple Burr and Oak Burl (scratchplate) with walnut stripe. The sorry bass on the floor is a project precision bass.

My off set (kind of) frankenbass

My offset Jazz bass build

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Hi new member from Scotland.

Post by seenoevil II » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:33 am

Welcome! I had an uncle called Hammy, and his name was Oliver. Go figure.

I can't wait for your build thread. Take lots of pictures.
If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.

JohnWainwright
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JohnWainwright » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:23 pm

1. You failed to address the elephant in the room. What's up with 19?
  2. You mentioned you recently moved to Scotland. Are you a Scot and you just move back? Or are you not originally from there?
  3. If you are a Scot... now for the important question. Are you able to say, "purple burglar alarm"?
(My brother in law is from Annan, and he cannae say it.)
---
jw

Hammy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Hammy » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:33 pm

Haha.. .right, yes ;D

All my guitars and gear have the number 19 on and three dots (either metal or abalone) in a triangle shape. The 19 is a nod to two things:
1. My daughter's birthday
2. The race number I was assigned (I used to race cars).

I'm English and I moved to Scotland (Scottish borders) for the peace and quiet out of the city. Nothing but fields and trees and hills and wildlife - 4 houses here and importantly, a pub in staggering distance. Nice soft landing in bushes when pinballing my way home :whistle:

I'm a Geordie and I can't say that properly either - it sounds like: Porpal Bugglar Alam :fp: