Greetings from sunny Los Angeles...

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
noctisariel
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Greetings from sunny Los Angeles...

Post by noctisariel » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:02 pm

Just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself - my name is Curtis. I've been active on the forum for a few months now and have found the community to be incredibly supportive and helpful. Happy to be in good company with all these fellow Jazzmaster lovers!

I acquired my first Jazzmaster about six months ago and immediately discovered a new type of guitar love unlike any other I had ever known. This guitar has really rekindled my love for the instrument and helped bring in a new chapter of playing for me as a musician.

I'm sure I'll upset a few purists out there (sorry, not sorry) with the aspirations of my project - which were to get as much sustain and resonance out of a Jazzmaster as possible, and to make a 2000's era Classic Player look like a Jazzmaster from the late 50's/early 60's.

My modifications included:
• Complete refinish with nitrocellulose
• Relicing
• Antiquity I pickup swap
• Full copper shielding of interior cavities
• Vintage spec wiring harness
• Mastery bridge conversion
• Neck shimming
• TUSQ nut swap
• Heavier gauge strings

And here are some photos of the finished product:

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Greetings from sunny Los Angeles...

Post by Embenny » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:53 pm

You won't upset anyone here on this board with those mods, those are all things that people here love to do (the only advice I'd have given would have been that a new body in nitro and selling the one old would have been a cheaper way to go, compared to refinishing a poly body, unless you did the work yourself).

Beautiful end result, that looks like a fantastic guitar. Welcome to the board.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

noctisariel
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by noctisariel » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:10 pm

True - you're right that it probably would have been cheaper in the long run, but I really wanted the CP body because the tremolo is positioned closer to the bridge to help with the sustain. Thanks for the kind words!

shmuckhed
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by shmuckhed » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:59 pm

Hi Curtis from sunny LA, James here from dreary London ::)

Lovely looking JM matey! I hope to do something similar with my partscaster, but in a solid colour.