What's your first memory of music?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What's your first memory of music?

Post by Stephen_42 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:43 am

Dum. Dum dum dum, da da duh duh dum dum.

The bass riff from Fleetwood Mac's the Chain, signalling that the F1 is about to start. Still love it to this day.

Nudger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nudger » Thu May 19, 2022 12:46 pm

Avenues and alleyways - Tony christie
Hypnotized, it caused me to look up from whatever I was playing with to catch the end credits rolling for TV show The protectors.. "theme tune"
I must have been 4 max

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blacktiger » Wed May 25, 2022 8:24 pm

Not sure which came first, but it was either listening to Elvis with my mom or the Beatles at my friend’s house courtesy of his older brother (with whom he shared a room). I realize this makes me sound like I’m 60, but I’m not. My first musical love was KISS. So, I’m old, but not THAT old.
Thread killer

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu May 26, 2022 12:26 am

At some point in my youth I worked out that I could remember all the chart hits from when I was about 7 years old onwards (not any more, though). But my earliest memories are probably mainly Scottish and Irish folk music that I absorbed from my Dad's and older brother's collections. Folk-rock was in its prime at the time and my brother played in a band that owed a debt to Fairport Convention, whose Liege and Lief I took in by osmosis. The Corries were always on too, whose repertoire ranged from the sublime to the ridiculously awful.

Not that long ago I came across this medley by Planxty on Youtube and realised I knew it well, just not on a conscious level. Not everyone's cuppa tea, but the time signature change in the middle is just divine!

As far as poppier stuff goes I have my eldest sister to thank. She had The Beatles' 'blue' double-album, and Simon & Garfunkel's Greatest Hits, and I was drawn in by the lyrics as much as, or maybe moreso than, the music of songs like Sounds of Silence, I Am The Walrus and Strawberry Fields Forever.

Those lines about "the sign flash[ing] out its warning", and "the words of the prophets [being] written on the subway walls" transported my young self to what seemed to be a magical universe or some kind of altered state, which probably explains my lifelong love of psychedelia and surrealism.

The first time I ever operated the family's Philips record player - a Dansette-type affair - when there were no elders about to stop me, I played Help! and I'm Down by The Beatles and the Stones' Get Off My Cloud - again, from my big sister's collection.

Salfaromeab
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Salfaromeab » Thu May 26, 2022 4:03 am

In 'n' Out Of Grace and Merchandise in my dad's car.
Through the tallest wave, into outer space.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon May 30, 2022 2:05 am

Salfaromeab wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 4:03 am
In 'n' Out Of Grace and Merchandise in my dad's car.
ok. so i have a good story with in n out of grace. i was a teenager and there was this girl around my age who had a crush on me but she was really fucking creepy. she'd never talk to me in person, just stare at me every day as i walked past, she was also a big fan of vague posting on myspace. one day me and my friend were tasked to buy a microwave by my shitty step dad. we got our wee ipod speakers playing on the way carrying this microwave, we take a break and she's staring at me the whole time. in n out of grace comes on while we're taking a break and my friend is like "like the live video, if this doesn't scare her off, nothing will" so the 2 of us are diving around during the drum break like mark and steve in the berlin clip and when it comes to the noise bit, i'm dancing with the microwave in my arms and she's still staring like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5oOq4S4tbM

we get home, install the microwave and i check my myspace DM's and it's a photo of me dancing with the microwave from her saying "god i wish that microwave was me"
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Mon May 30, 2022 2:23 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 2:05 am
we get home, install the microwave and i check my myspace DM's and it's a photo of me dancing with the microwave from her saying "god i wish that microwave was me"
And then what happened? I think that’s a badass way to finally tell someone why you’ve been stalking them
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon May 30, 2022 2:27 am

sal paradise wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 2:23 am
s_mcsleazy wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 2:05 am
And then what happened? I think that’s a badass way to finally tell someone why you’ve been stalking them
honestly. i just kept trying to ignore her. it was quite hard because i used to mow her neighbors yard at the weekends and all i'd see was more staring.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Russell1982
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Russell1982 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:24 am

Earliest songs I really remember loving were money for nothing by dire straits on some tape around the house, should I stay or should I go by the clash which I heard on an advert for chewing gum in the 80’s, followed soon after by my uncles Adam and the ants vhs. :D

I also remember being very young and my brother having ghost town by the specials on vinyl and it used to creep me the fuck out. :D

ctu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ctu » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:26 am

Apart from some children songs, I remember clearly Shout (Tears for Fears), Angel (Eurythmics), I'm still standing (Elton John) and Drive (The Cars). These were playing everywhere, radio, school, in public... Drive is one of my favorite sons even today, and Ric Ocasek was rocking a wonderful pink Jazzmaster (did not know it at the time of course, but a nice coincidence).