Good Music Docos / Documentaries

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Good Music Docos / Documentaries

Post by windmill » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:20 am

Got onto netflix while visiting relatives recently

The Wrecking Crew - It is good but having read a bit about them was disappointed there wasnt more of a narrative to it.

Beware of Ginger Baker - interesting. I'm on Eric Claptons side, Ginger in small doses. While Ginger is a phenomenal drummer his personality becomes poisonous after a while This was shown with all his relationships with people including his family through the film. Would have liked to hear more of Jack Bruce's take on him.

Supermensch - The Shep Gordon story. - The first part of the film about getting Alice Cooper into the limelight and success was interesting, the stunts were more important than the music side. Also the marketing of Teddy Prendergast was interesting. Had read years ago that he had handshake deals with people and it appears he was good at his job and kept his word. The bit where he talked about the people he had helped achieve success being damaged by it was unexpected
Last edited by windmill on Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:25 am

dc wrote:Netflix has a new original documentary on Bob Weir called "The Other One" that is really good.

i've never cared about the Grateful Dead one way or the other. but their legend as products of/contributors to a particularly dynamic period of American history is unique, and the doc certainly captures the spirit of the band and the times. and Weir is just an interesting cat generally, with great stories and a different approach to his instrument.

the doc actually made me wish i hadn't skipped all those Dead shows over the years
Started to watch this but ran out of time.
Have never heard any Grateful Dead. Never popular out my way, so I am mildly curious to find out what they were like.

Will keep an eye out for it

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:20 am

A pretty decent (Radio) documentary on the Lal and Mike Waterson album Bright Phoebus; Part one and Part Two, which is a fantastic folk record that is finally getting it's due. Many years ago I bought a bunch of folk albums in some sort of deal at a record fair (might have been ten records for £25 or something), most of records didn't exactly have enticing sleeves but when I got them home I stuck on Bright Phoebus because it had a big sun on the cover and recoiled in horror at the awfulness of the first song Rubber Band but...I lifted needle and dropped it onFine Horseman and my blood ran cold at Lal Waterson's bone chilling withered husk of a voice, which makes Nico sound like Lulu and by the end of the song I was literally weeping at the beauty of the song, which I consider right up there among the best songs ever written. I had no idea anyone else liked this LP until many years later and it's nice hearing it get it's due.

There's been many a good cover of Fine Horseman and I murder it often myself like a pound shop King Creosote.

Promise and the Monster

Anne Briggs

Lisa Knapp

King Creosote

The Owl Service

Maddy Prior and June Tabor

In other newsThe Joy of the Guitar Riff is up on the BBC iplayer for another week or so. I couldn't personally get all the way through it but those made of sterner stuff might enjoy it.

The guitar riff is the DNA of rock 'n' roll, a double helix of repetitive simplicity and fiendish complexity on which its history has been built. From Chuck Berry through to the White Stripes, this documentary traces the ebb and flow of the guitar riff over the last 60 years of popular music. With riffs and stories from an all-star cast including Brian May, Dave Davies, Hank Marvin, Joan Jett, Nile Rodgers, Tony Iommi, Robert Fripp, Johnny Marr, Nancy Wilson, Kevin Shields, Ryan Jarman, Tom Morello and many more. Narrated by Lauren Laverne.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Bo Diddley Technical Institute of Cryptozoology (European HQ)

Post by PJazzmaster » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:58 am

PJazzmaster wrote:This trailer, not 100% music related but for sure quite interesting (I have not seen the full movie yet but I guess that I know at least 30% of the material from other documentaries):

https://vimeo.com/116847987" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is now available via itunes too, in some countries. Was nice to watch, although I was familiar with 50% of the movie material already (more than I have thought initially)

frelonvert
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by frelonvert » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:39 pm

Guitar moves witg Keith Richards, good moment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceWWMfhAvD4
Take care the skons is evrywhere !

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:16 pm

frelonvert wrote:Guitar moves witg Keith Richards, good moment.
Yes that is good

Keith Richards is easy to listen to.

GhostPlayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GhostPlayer » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:02 am

I cannot stress this enough.

Cocksucker Blues... the life of the Rolling Stones in 1972.

full frontal nudity, private aeroplanes, drugs and booze, debauchery like I've never seen before. Once again, the Stones as epitome of rock 'n roll.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocksucker_Blues" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
---
crypto-currency evangelist. Ask me anything, happy to fuel the revolution.
---

PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PJazzmaster » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:03 am

this one might be of interest to some here, snippets of this documentary have been around for quite a while now but I think it's the first time that the FULL version is available:
Music documentary of Nick Cave made by Bram van Splunteren following Nick Cave who lived in Berlin in 1987. Including rehearsals with the Bad Seeds. Broadcasted by VPRO Dutch Television.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5JoaaQ ... ture=share" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ntmanning
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ntmanning » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:13 am

frelonvert wrote:Guitar moves witg Keith Richards, good moment.

One of my favorite videos on Youtube. Great post

brndgtl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by brndgtl » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:27 am

Don't think it was mentioned yet but the Peter Bogdanovich documentary, Running Down a Dream, about Tom Petty is my favourite.

It's 4 hours of interviews and archive footage but never feels over-long or unnecessary. It goes bone deep and the honesty of everyone interviewed is amazing and most of it is a hoot. Thoroughly recommend it!

PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PJazzmaster » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:21 pm

in the making, WHERE DOES A BODY END? - A documentary on the band SWANS

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/10 ... he-band-sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:14 pm

My two favorites are:

Tom Dowd & The Language Of Music
Thelonious Monk: Straight, No Chaser

PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PJazzmaster » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:04 pm

ELEKTRO MOSKVA !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay3rhzJ143s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.elektromoskva.com/english" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:12 am

The Voices of Anne Briggs

Really great radio documentary about the brilliant, elusive and reclusive folk singer who recorded absolutely magical material in the mid 60's to very early 70's when she simply stopped singing.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Mike S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mike S » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:46 pm

These are probably my favorites. Some get fairly gritty:
Montage of Heck
A Band Called Death
American Hardcore
The Gits