Blake Mills Appreciation Thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
staytuned
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Blake Mills Appreciation Thread

Post by staytuned » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:20 pm

BTW, he avoided saying which model B&H projector he uses but I'm almost positive it's the 385. I've got one that I'm trying to bring to playable condition. My tech was able to add an 8 ohm out, three prong cord, and replace the caps but for whatever reason it still has a pretty noticeable noise. He said something about the grounding being all over the place... I'm going to take it to another guy and get a second opinion. Other than the noise, it's incredibly clean sounding with barely any breakup...12ax7s in both preamp positions...trying to figure out how to get some more grit out of it.

DWBH
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DWBH » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:09 am

Interesting. The one I saw for sale here was a 630, with an extra speaker cabinet (which has 12" alnico (??)) in it.
I don't recall what output valves the 630 has, but I don't think they're 6v6s.

Anyway, does anyone follow him on Instagram? I found this interesting:
Vinyl is here! Although, in my opinion, the experience of this music is richer on CD and here's why; so much of this record has to do with extreme bottom end and detail in the top or "air". When you master to vinyl you immediately sacrifice those two areas. It's sorta like the difference between widescreen and "this film has been modified to fit your screen".
http://instagram.com/p/syQX4IgQC9/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Flurko » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:05 am

Necroposting an almost 7-yo thread, because Blake Mills is currently releasing music with Pino Palladino and I'm loving every second of it.

Today's title is Ekuté, they also released a live video for the song Just Wrong with Sam Gendel.

I discovered Blake Mills very recently, having forgotten the fascinating Guitar Moves/Power videos with Matt Sweeney (also, check out Sweeney's recent songs with Bonnie Prince Billy!). I became a fan when I heard his collabs with Vulfpeck (first take improvised solo!)and the Vulfpeck-adjacent Fearless Flyers.

I'm very surprised by the greatness of the new material with Pino Palladino, because that's a bass player I always associated with kitschy fretless tone and genres I really cant stand (john mayer...). I guess I was wrong !
Last edited by Flurko on Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

August
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by August » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:52 am

^ Thanks for posting that. I'm always on the lookout for new Blake Mills (and Julian Lage) stuff.

Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Flurko » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:50 am

NPR just released a Tiny Desk Home Concert with Pino Palladino and Blake Mills, three tunes from the album in live form with a really tight arrangement :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-V77_moZYw