Brian Jonestown Massacre

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Brian Jonestown Massacre

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:43 am

andy_tchp wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:32 am
Arseholes...
In the audience and the frontman on stage, by the sounds of things.

I'd normally have more sympathy, being a huge fan of the band. Anton Newcombe has had a long & troublesome drugs habit & relapsing can be tragic, as is the case now, it seems.
But, I'm reading a lot about him getting far too big for his boots, preaching to the crowd, insulting sound engineers, band members & folk in the audience, often when he's clearly capable of keeping his mouth shut. This is a return to the Anton of old & it's not good.
The band have become very popular these days & a whole new bunch of people attend shows, many of whom don't get why they should take 5 minutes between songs (the Vox guitars they love so much need tuning after each song) and I get their annoyance. Re-tuning should only take a minute, the rest is arguably unnecessary interaction with the audience.

Many people are saying he's a legend & you take a chance when you buy your ticket. I don't buy this for a second. People pay to see a quality musical performance not a ranting idiot with a messiah complex.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Flurko » Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:18 pm

After checking my files, I realized I'd seen them in my hometown in 2010, I remember all the local 'cool' band-adjacent people coming there.
Back then we all shared the opinion that it was a decent show from a band doing things professionally, Anton never looking into the crowd and always singing from the side, no encores, etc.
It's pretty sad that 13 years later things have gone so down, we really thought that doing boring shows was the worst they could do after their infamous "dig" years..

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:02 pm

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:43 am
andy_tchp wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:32 am
Arseholes...
In the audience and the frontman on stage, by the sounds of things.
Not really. At circa $90 a ticket for that incredible lameness they deserved way more bottles thrown at them. They're very progressive/accepting in Melbourne :D
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

wrath
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wrath » Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:06 pm

I saw them in Perth on this leg, and it was clear something was off from the get go. Not surprised at all that it fell to pieces in a fist fight.

Ryan was at Anton all night, huffing and puffing and threatening to walk off stage.

Anton was screaming at techs for changing his pedals or whatever. Different to the 2010s when he would play off to the side, avoiding interaction from dickheads in the crowd and Joel and Matt up front.