Individual Songs Vs. Whole Album

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
NickH
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Individual Songs Vs. Whole Album

Post by NickH » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:04 am

The what are you listenting to thread got me thinking about albums vs individual songs. I can definately say that I am an album person. Sure I will listen to single track and mixed compilations, but for me whole albums are the way to go. When I think about my favs it always the ones that have a really great flow, the ones that stand out as one continuous piece rather than a collection of good songs. I am not necessarily referring to concept albums but instances where the people involved have vry carefully chosen the order to blee so well together. It is almost like the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. It is not just where it takes you but what you see as you go.

Wow, do I even make sense?

Nick

tsalwel
Expat
Expat

Re: Individual Songs Vs. Whole Album

Post by tsalwel » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:19 am

absolutly

i have a whole bunch of records with " very promising first record " groups
with only one or two good songs on and the rest > garbage !!

a good album takes you onto a tripp in time
tells you a story

i think

"do i think ?"

:) :) :)
        d
Last edited by tsalwel on Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
music ALLways
music  IS my motor

batchainpuller
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by batchainpuller » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:52 am

You certainly make sense. I believe that most of the bands I listen to tend to craft great "whole" albums; I think it's because they are simply good bands. Admittedly, sometimes great bands can put out not-so-great albums, however I wager that these types albums are generally reserved for mediocre talents that can't fill an LP/CD and thus produce only a few good songs per. Now I'm not sure I make sense. Anyway +1 Whole Album...

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:41 am

tsalwel wrote: i have a whole bunch of records with " very promising first record " groups
with only one or two good songs on and the rest > garbage !!
Case in point: the Walkmen. Their single, The Rat, made me go out and buy their album, because it was SO good, I thought the album must be OK at the very least. It wasn't. It was shit.

I suspect that downloading will ultimately kill the album though. It enables me to sift through so much crap looking for gems, but it also seriously reduces my attention span. If I've heard it all before - whap! - skipped.