god, this is weird, but...

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
idiotbear

god, this is weird, but...

Post by idiotbear » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:32 am

...I just downloaded some Oasis. I HATE Oasis, but I was just indulging in some iTunes-abuse, and it recommended ("based on the selections in your cart") Oasis's b-sides compilation, The Masterplan.

So I now own all 5 of Oasis's good songs:

Acquiesce
Rock n' Roll Star
Slide Away
Some Might Say
Supersonic.

Bummer to be Gallagher and know your best work was over 10 years ago, in a recording career of 12 years.

Coronado
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: god, this is weird, but...

Post by Coronado » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:43 am

I'm not a big fan of Oasis, but I like them. Most people I know hate them and I understand it, but they have GREAT songs!
Last edited by Coronado on Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:48 am

I am a huge beatles fan  (500+ bootleg CDs testifies to that) but have never warmed to Oasis.... just a second rate cover band.  Their popularity in Engalnd has always amazed us down here...

But I truly respect noel's opinions, especially his comments about the socceroos and  Tim Cahil  ;)
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:28 am

One of the main reasons I can't generally stand Oasis is their obsession with the 60s in general and The Beatles in particular. Sure, they're big fans, but why just be (like Sook says) a covers band? Just, like, move on, guys!

I'm not interested in musicians ignoring the influence of the last 30 years, and I was never a huge Beatles fan in the first place.

[rant]

Controversial opinion: I think most of the Beatles fans of my age or younger started liking the Beatles because they heard they should. Sure, there are plenty of genuine Beatles fans from my generation, but I can't help feeling most folk who throw on a Beatles record don't really listen to it: it's become cultural wallpaper, rather than music. We seem to have lost any ability to be objective about them.

Some person at my work* the other day tore me a new arsehole for not being a big Beatles fan. S/he seemed to think if I love music (which anyone on this forum can see that I do), I HAVE to love the Beatles. And the thing is, if you say you're not a huge fan, people assume you're saying you HATE them, which I don't. I neither like nor dislike them, which apparently isn't an acceptable opinion.

Oh yeah, and if you don't like the Beatles, you can get accused of "only listening to stuff from 1990 onwards" or some such nonsense. My favourite musical things to come out of the 60s (vintage Fenders not included) are Love and The Beach Boys. I don't like the Stones either (although that's an active dislike, rather than indifference). Before that, I love Bo Diddley, Lightnin Hopkins, Howlin Wolf, Elvis. So I'm not a total philistine.

[/rant]

Phew. Sorry about that, but that conversation with my workmate has been bugging me, and I felt like you guys would understand if I got it off my chest. Sook, it should be clear, but that was in no way intended to diss your love of that particular band.

*IMHO, s/he doesn't know shit about music, but s/he'd beg to differ. S/he's a coffee-table listener, by which I mean s/he has all the right opinions, but there's no passion behind them.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:43 am

idiotbear, I know where you are coming from...  I am a HUGE beatles fan, but get sick to death when ever i here radio stations playing a beatles track.. it is either  hey jude, let it be, penny lane or one of another 10 possible "suitable for the airwaves" tracks.  Also I want to punch out the radio when I hear  "from the no1 album of all time, the first concept album  .. sgt peppers"  .  Let's get it right, it wasn't a concept album (two songs happened to have similar titles and chords progresions) and it ain't the no1 album.  [rubber soul  - Uk version or revolver - uk version  gets my vote]

I mean how many people actually listen to macca's bass line in SOMETHING, or to the indian musicians and the orchestra in WITHIN YOU WITHOUT YOU, or george's double stop solo through out AND YOUR BIRD CAN SING  or even the power of Lennon's TOMORROW NEVER KNOWS , the SKA rhythms in I CALL YOUR NAME, or the BASS VI in BACK IN THE USSR, the Jazz bass all through the white album and Abbey Road, Ringo's drumming on RAIN .. ... I can go on but I won't.

To the majority who listen to radio (rather than CDs)  Beatles music is a commodity ... but to me, I delight in listening to music that I thought I knew only to discover a new guitar sound that I had not heard before.  Especially given that most of t was recorded on 4 track machines !!
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:34 pm

idiotbear wrote: So I now own all 5 of Oasis's good songs:

Supersonic.

Bummer to be Gallagher and know your best work was over 10 years ago, in a recording career of 12 years.
I love Supersonic, although I'm not a big Oasis fan. There is some good work on the most recent album though.

There's a lot in the Beatles .. the harder you look, the more there is. My favourite stuff of theirs never gets on the radio either .. Taxman, I Am The Walrus .. etc.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.