The Band You Love That No One Else Seems to Care About

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

The Band You Love That No One Else Seems to Care About

Post by blacktiger » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:22 am

For me, it's got to be Butterfly Child. Love them, especially The Honeymoon Suite, but my wife is the only other person I've managed to turn on to them, and she's probably just humoring me.
Thread killer

timbo_93631
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Band You Love That No One Else Seems to Care About

Post by timbo_93631 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:31 am

Maybe Robyn Hitchcock. Nobody else I know seems to get him except for one of my mother-in-law's old hippy girlffriends. Other than that I'd say Skankin Pickle.

stig
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stig » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:32 am

Oh God... so many! Guided By Voices/Robert Pollard, XTC, Jellyfish, The Red Button, Tame Impala, Urge Overkill, The Tubes, Robyn Hitchcock, Mitch Easter, Matthew Sweet... Can you tell I'm cycling backwards through my iPod? The Loud Family/Game Theory, The Move, Julianna Hatfield. OK, I'll stop.
My crappy music: www.soundcloud.com/aspirinhammer

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blacktiger » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:33 am

stig wrote:Oh God... so many! Guided By Voices/Robert Pollard, XTC, Jellyfish, The Red Button, Tame Impala, Urge Overkill, The Tubes, Robyn Hitchcock, Mitch Easter, Matthew Sweet... Can you tell I'm cycling backwards through my iPod? The Loud Family/Game Theory, The Move, Julianna Hatfield. OK, I'll stop.
Really? I know a lot of people who dig a lot of those bands.
Thread killer

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:40 am

blacktiger wrote:For me, it's got to be Butterfly Child. Love them, especially The Honeymoon Suite, but my wife is the only other person I've managed to turn on to them, and she's probably just humoring me.
I like the H.Ark stuff (and the singles club record), after that he got a bit too Beatley/proper music for me. If you don't know them check out the Papa Sprain (in this case check the Afrobeat influence to the guitars which is cool for time) records on H.Ark.

Not sure if folk don't care about them but myself and a few friends all love The Flowerpot Men (not the cuntish hippies that went to San Francisco) but you hardly see them mentioned. Pretty remarkable that all the guitar is actually...cello.

Joe's So Mean to Josephine.

Melting Down On Motor Angel

A few years ago I would have said all the synthpop/minimal wave bands I collected but they are well and truly reappraised these days. Same with Kosmische and the rarer side of Post Punk, the internet has had me losing my edge as it were.

I agree with the Blacktiger I know loads of folk that like those bands, hardy annuals for guys into indie rock IMO.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blacktiger » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:49 am

shadowplay wrote:I like the H.Ark stuff (and the singles club record), after that he got a bit too Beatley/proper music for me. If you don't know them check out the Papa Sprain (in this case check the Afrobeat influence to the guitars which is cool for time) records on H.Ark.
I dig Papa Sprain too, though I tend to prefer Butterfly Child. Big fan of A.R. Kane, as well, who never really seemed to get their due.
Thread killer

stig
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stig » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:59 am

blacktiger wrote:
stig wrote:Oh God... so many! Guided By Voices/Robert Pollard, XTC, Jellyfish, The Red Button, Tame Impala, Urge Overkill, The Tubes, Robyn Hitchcock, Mitch Easter, Matthew Sweet... Can you tell I'm cycling backwards through my iPod? The Loud Family/Game Theory, The Move, Julianna Hatfield. OK, I'll stop.
Really? I know a lot of people who dig a lot of those bands.
Oh, I know. Just none of my friends or family.
My crappy music: www.soundcloud.com/aspirinhammer

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:00 am

blacktiger wrote:Big fan of A.R. Kane, as well, who never really seemed to get their due.
They get a lot of love in this parish (and they were nuts live, nothing like the records) and the best regular club (since Optimo isn't on every week at the moment) in the UK at the moment is called Love from Outer Space. Andrew Weatherall has even had a pop at Love From Outer Space (as The Asphodells) and I think it's a fine effort at tackling a sacred space cow.

D

dinosaurkale->
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaurkale-> » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:17 am

army of lovers, cause and effect, pm dawn, crash worship, satan, atomkraft, kix, jejune, magnapop, long hind legs...i could probably think of more later

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blacktiger » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:44 am

Just discovered this is coming soon:

http://indian.co.uk/shop/complete-singl ... ction.html

I already have a lot of it on vinyl, but Jah only knows where the records are tucked into my collection. It will be nice to have it all in one place.
Thread killer

izifizi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by izifizi » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:48 am

I listen to a lot of unsigned bands who post their music on facebook, etc. and some of them are really great, but no one seems to care about them.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:55 am

blacktiger wrote:Just discovered this is coming soon:

http://indian.co.uk/shop/complete-singl ... ction.html

I already have a lot of it on vinyl, but Jah only knows where the records are tucked into my collection. It will be nice to have it all in one place.
I was told that the masters for Lolita EP and Haunted were lost years ago, perhaps they have been found. Hopefully they managed to get the rights to the third album and attendant single, very forgotten about; Sea Like a Child (and the remix) and Snow Whites World are as good as any AR Kane IMO.

Btw Alex's solo record is OK (Black African Comet King is brilliant) and the first Sufi record is brilliant in parts if not all the way through, the second is weaker but still worth having. The In Rain singles club record with Allison Shaw is good too.

D

TalkingBook
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TalkingBook » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:10 am

I don't know anyone personally who also enjoys Berlin school electronic music or things like Terry Riley, Tonto's Expanding Head Band, etc. Also, I had to go to the Jimi Tenor / Tony Allen show alone last year. :-/
Stuff: CIJ JM, Laney VC30, Highway One J-Bass, Markbass Little Mark Tube & Club 102

Band: litus.bandcamp.com

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:19 am

TalkingBook wrote:Also, I had to go to the Jimi Tenor / Tony Allen show alone last year.
All I can say is the peasants missed a treat, Jimi is a bit of an International treasure.

D

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:22 am

Crass. Well no-one I know anyway. They were important as a collective..art, free thinking, experimentation etc...records like Psychocandy would probably not have happened..