recent vinyl acquisitions the thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: recent vinyl acquisitions the thread

Post by NickD » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:56 pm

shadowplay wrote:^^^

That Blackhill Transmitter record is a peach. There's a track on it called Warmth of Heart which is really beautiful and melancholy.
Yes, I'm really enjoying it. I've also got the Woodleigh Research Facility 2x12 in that pile which is in a similar vein but not quite as good.

Any others like this to search out?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:05 am

NickD wrote: Any others like this to search out?
OK records I'd recommend from this year if you like Blackhill Transmitter;

Szun Waves - At Sacred Walls Amazing minimal kosmische astral jazz from Luke Abbott, Jack Wyllie (Portico) and Laurence Pike (PVT).

Clark - The Last Panthers OST you can't stream the whole thing anywhere (you can on spotify but I can access it) but Juno has shop samples. Suffice to say that if 'Strangled to Death in a Public Toilet' isn't song title of the year I'm a Dutchman.

This is amazing.

Clark - The Last Panthers (Copenhagen Sessions)

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:43 pm

shadowplay wrote:
NickD wrote: Any others like this to search out?
OK records I'd recommend from this year if you like Blackhill Transmitter;

Szun Waves - At Sacred Walls Amazing minimal kosmische astral jazz from Luke Abbott, Jack Wyllie (Portico) and Laurence Pike (PVT).

Clark - The Last Panthers OST you can't stream the whole thing anywhere (you can on spotify but I can access it) but Juno has shop samples. Suffice to say that if 'Strangled to Death in a Public Toilet' isn't song title of the year I'm a Dutchman.

This is amazing.

Clark - The Last Panthers (Copenhagen Sessions)

D
Both bought and both good steers - enjoying them. I bought both after a brief listen to samples on Juno's site, and , while good in snippets, they both make a lot more sense on a full listen.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:51 am

Nick, I'm really pleased you like them, both are very special in their own way. I was really surprised to see both of them absent from the lions share of end of year lists, I think Bleep picked them but other than that they were forgotten.

I adore the Last Panthers OST, I just put it on and I think Back To Belgradeis a masterpiece in emotional programming and how the skittering beats are almost like stylised drips of water in an abandoned basement. Some of it reminds me of In the Nursery, who you may fancy checking out if you are looking for music to get you up for a cavalry charge.

D

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:33 am

preoccupations and nick cave push the sky
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:43 pm

On a ration stamp buying budget right now but I brought home a grade A mini-haul from my local shop last night:

Biosphere - Departed Glories

W.I.T.C.H. - Lazy Bones monumental Zambian psych classic I've been meaning to get on physical for years

Anne Joyal - Eveil delicate Quebecois folk archaeological find...I can't find anything about her or this album aside from one song on a comp called Roqc Folqc Psych but there are some copies floating around discogs for spare change and if you're into this kind of thing it's well worth picking up

thecolorwaves
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thecolorwaves » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:41 pm

Manchester-addresses copy of 'Hand in Glove' 45 is waiting back at the homestead: very excited about that one.

Also: pre-ordered the new Father John Misty today, and about to receive The Beatles Stereo Box Set which I picked up for around $140ish new.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:38 am

It's daft that I've never owned a vinyl copy of this, considering how much I love it....

You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:47 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:It's daft that I've never owned a vinyl copy of this, considering how much I love it....

Proper gatefold sleeve as well as peelable banana?

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:51 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
PorkyPrimeCut wrote:It's daft that I've never owned a vinyl copy of this, considering how much I love it....

Proper gatefold sleeve as well as peelable banana?
Yep, but not the stinkingly expensive original (which my dad owns). It's the 45th Anniversary edition.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:56 am

Aye, I guessed it was a reissue by its pristineness. I only have a non-peelable gatefold edition, myself, but I'm happy enough with it.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:00 am

It's funny really, I actually prefer the back cover to the front :)

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:21 am

nanamour wrote:
W.I.T.C.H. - Lazy Bones monumental Zambian psych classic I've been meaning to get on physical for years

I like that record. I'd recommend Can’t You Hear Me? 70's African Nuggets & Garage Rock from Nigeria, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. It's surprisingly compiled by Christophe Lemaire who is a fashion designer (and a good one at that) but it's well put together and it features a really great edit ofNo Time from the first WITCH album by the edit master Pilooski*. (check his amazing edit ofKismet by Amon Düül II) The record also has the original, so no purists were harmed.

I don't post in this thread much, don't want to blanket bomb it and if I'm going to post about something I'd generally concentrate on linking music but I am huge fan of the Vinyl on Demand label and I'm fortunate enough to have a subscription.

I guess VOD often start where Minimal Wave leave off or at least that's part of the picture, because they delve pretty deep into 70's to 80's cassette and obscurist culture and often leave me wondering if I know anything at all.

Anyway the most recent release is Bourbonese Qualk - Archive 1980 - 1986 which is 4x12 delight. It's probably only for confirmed fans but the 2X12 Bourbonese Qualk 1983​-​1987 on Mannequin is IMO a post punk must haveand full stream able here. Someone in the comments on the Bandcamp compares them to Cabaret Voltaire crossed with Flux of Pink Indians and that's actually not a bad shout.

D

*I really recommend the Yula Kasp digital EP and 4 track 12' he produced recently.

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:13 am

shadowplay wrote:
I like that record. I'd recommend Can’t You Hear Me? 70's African Nuggets & Garage Rock from Nigeria, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. It's surprisingly compiled by Christophe Lemaire who is a fashion designer (and a good one at that) but it's well put together and it features a really great edit ofNo Time from the first WITCH album by the edit master Pilooski*. (check his amazing edit ofKismet by Amon Düül II) The record also has the original, so no purists were harmed.

*I really recommend the Yula Kasp digital EP and 4 track 12' he produced recently.
That seems like a great comp, I'm familiar with most of the stuff on there but great picks all around but I might just have to pick it up and have all the movin' groovin', streakin', and funkin' all in one place...well done Mr. Lemaire! Great recommendation on the Pilooski too, the Amon Düül edit(!!!) had me pulsing. I'll have to check out that EP too, the track you linked to is really doing it for me.

In the interest of avoiding an impending catastrophic derail, I wonder if it would be worth starting a Zamrock/Southern African Psych thread?

...there's a wealth of stuff out there from Zambia alone (from WITCH, to Amanaz, Chrissy Zebby Tembo, Peace, Paul Ngozi/Ngozi Family, Riki Ililonga, Keith Melevhu, and on and on) and plenty to talk about, with some really great pieces on the geopolitics that influenced the music floating around out there. I'd love to hear some of the psyche mavens around these parts chip in.

And gorgeous packaging on that Bourbonese Qualk Archive...VOD releases are a bit out of reach of justification for me, but I sure enjoy staring twinkle-eyed through the window.

cpeck
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cpeck » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:23 am

Grabbed the limited to 50 Ultra Deluxe edition of "In the Presence of Nothing" by Lilys. Also grabbed "My Woman" by Angel Olsen.