Radio Friendly Unit Shifter (censoring your songs)

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.

Which method?

White Noise blast over word
No votes
Dropout word
No votes
Reverse word
10%
Replace word completely
90%
Other (please state/explain)
No votes

Total votes: 10

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Radio Friendly Unit Shifter (censoring your songs)

Post by JSett » Sat May 25, 2024 10:02 pm

Hey all, not sure where this should go so it's here. If it's supposed to be in 'Misc', sorry, I cant go in there :D

Quick question for those here that record their own stuff (and I guess listeners too) and have it out for the general public. My band occasionally has swear/cuss words in songs like most 'alternative rock' acts but we have been asked on a couple of occasions for 'clean' versions for broadcast. I'm actively trying to use less anyway but sometimes it's the perfect word for the sentiment or cadence of the line.

What is you preferred method of censoring naughty words? White noise PSSHP! Total word dropout? Quick reverse on the word? Replace word?... others?

Interested in what people listening prefer too as well, and what sounds less jarring to listen to.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

jthomas
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Radio Friendly Unit Shifter (censoring your songs)

Post by jthomas » Sun May 26, 2024 6:41 am

I have no experience in this, but I suppose that I would replace the offending word with one that sounded similar (e.g., "shirt" instead of "shit") or maybe replace the offending word with something odd and out of place (e.g., "fish" for "f**k"). Anyone listening close enough to catch it will know what was intended.

Dr Tony Balls
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Sun May 26, 2024 7:31 am

Other words but have fun with it. "this is what happens when you find a stranger in the alps" kinda shit.
Instagram: thetonyballs

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sun May 26, 2024 9:31 am

Another vote for a re-write here.

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Mon May 27, 2024 2:03 am

Worst option is blanking it: sounds like a mistake and ruins the momentum of the song. Next worst is covering it with a beep: calls attention to the 1 word at the expense of everything else.

Replace the word with either something else of the same meaning, or something somewhat rhyming so everyone knows what you mean without it being distracting. (Like saying "barstool", "arms/amps" "ship" "mother father" etc.) Corny, but it's better than ruining the music with the other methods.