Are the Foo Fighters really that popular???

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Are the Foo Fighters really that popular???

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:25 am

redchapterjubilee wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:05 am
Dave has often commented that the Foos are “the last band standing” in the popular cross cultural pantheon. They get gigs most bands of their generation don’t. The Lincoln Center stuff, all the awards shows, etc. and that seems to be true.
see, on a weird level, i hate this not because it's untrue, but because it's true. *stands on my soap box about this topic for the 50th time* new rock band's aren't getting big anymore and this is a fucking problem. a lot of the bands the kids are currently listening to released their first albums 15+ years ago. like yeah, there's always been the kids who were like "i was born in the wrong generation" but the 3 big bands with alternative kids right now are basically my chemical romance, ghost and deftones. good bands (fuck you'll defend MCR to the fucking hilt) but very little else is crossing over.

i have noticed a lot of attempts at trying from major labels to court the younger generation of "alternative" kids but they've all seemed fake and hollow *cough* because gen z can smell bullshit. the only one's that's really had any staying power (so far) is olivia rodrigo, but she was already connected to the industry. or MGK who basically got laughed out of rap music after picking a fight with eminem then got travis barker from blink to make him a pop punk album and a lot of gen z actually think he's a cringe edgelord.

so i was having a conversation with my gen-z cousin who's also plays guitar. she was telling me the main reasons she's not really active in music is because she doesn't see a future in. mainly that spending £35 a week on a practice space then £20 getting £1000 worth of gear to and from gigs where you'll only get paid £50 which you'll have to split 4-ways just doesn't seem feasible after you've spent the week doing 60 hours for minimum wage and 2/3rd's of that money is going towards rent and bills. plus with how self promotion and building a "band image" works nowadays, it's basically a part time job. i get why that seems like a bad idea, even if you love the thing, so i also think that's an issue. no new bands are coming along to replace the old ones because it's really fucking difficult to even start a band, let alone trying to make it viable. plus the expectation that you're meant to "grind it out" for 5-7 years because if you don't, you'll get gatekeepers saying you're just an industry plant.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

mr bungle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mr bungle » Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:05 pm

They've basically morphed into Nickelback with street cred.

Pat Smear must have sold his soul to play such tiresome rock.

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:05 am

The other day they played a Michael Buble song with him on stage.

It's come to this...

distressed
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by distressed » Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:14 am

mr bungle wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:05 pm

This.

I've come to conclusion that Dinosaur Jr is what the Foos should be. Big, bold, dirty cliche rawk riffs, drenched in fuzz, buth without that polished stadium dad rock mainstream part.
Roza
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg_imQDC4eUOjuBBRl2mBwA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyQgllCIpqY
https://rozaliftwave.bandcamp.com/

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:01 am

distressed wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:14 am
mr bungle wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:05 pm

This.

I've come to conclusion that Dinosaur Jr is what the Foos should be. Big, bold, dirty cliche rawk riffs, drenched in fuzz, buth without that polished stadium dad rock mainstream part.
I dunno man, some of us like stadium rock. I'd totally see the Foos in a big arena if money was no object, and I'd much rather than than seeing Dino where the vocals are inaudible and the songs kind of mush into each other. No disrespect to Dino but that's more a gig I'd want in a medium sized place where I can get pinned to the back of the wall with the volume.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS