Why don’t I get Big Star?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Why don’t I get Big Star?

Post by øøøøøøø » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:06 am

When I was like 20 I bought “#1 Record/Radio City” on CD and instantly hated it.

Flipped it at a used CD shop.

Later on, after hearing more elsewhere I “got it” and had to acquire the record again.

It’s literally the only time I’ve ever gotten rid of a recording only to re-acquire it later, so yeah…

In hindsight, it was just not at all what I expected based on all the people who sung its praises. On first listen it just sounded like “classic rock” to me, but it’s obviously not that, exactly.

Still not a desert-island staple for me, but I do appreciate it now

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:25 am

øøøøøøø wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:06 am
In hindsight, it was just not at all what I expected based on all the people who sung its praises. On first listen it just sounded like “classic rock” to me, but it’s obviously not that, exactly.

Still not a desert-island staple for me, but I do appreciate it now
I had a similar experience when I first heard them and kind of chalked it up to all the other recommendations I've gotten over the years and didn't jive with; I still don't get the appeal of the Replacements, for example, but that's probably another topic for another time (ironic considering their best charting song was an homage to Alex Chilton). I came to appreciate Big Star when my tastes began to expand and I started understanding where certain bands fit in the larger context and timeline so far. There's a certain tragedy to their story and that always seems to add to the appeal, or at least the lore. When so many of the artists I love made comments about their love for Big Star, or covered their songs, I revisited their music and gained a whole new appreciation for what they did.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:07 am

I am glad this thread exists because I am also one of the people who repeatedly try to get Big Star and fail. Some songs (not too many) are great, but they are overall a generic band with a generic power pop sound. Maybe context matters like some here said but for me good music is just compelling no matter how aware one is of the context in which it was made.

That said, I don't discount the possibility that one day it will click for me, and so I keep trying (I keep trying to like Lana Del Rey, so my bar for retrying is very low).

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sat May 06, 2023 12:36 am

Circling back on this as I’ve spent the last few months listening to a lot of Big Star. Larry’s suggestion of starting with third really unlocked it for me.

The first album I’m slightly ambivalent about. Radio City has me hooked. I love it, the mix of upbeat & low feels like a real journey. Third takes a particular mood, it’s a beautiful album from start to finish.

Turns out all I needed to do was get past the opening track of the first two albums & there was a whole world waiting for me :D
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?