Unexpectedly weird and great songs of tedious mainstream acts?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Unexpectedly weird and great songs of tedious mainstream acts?

Post by Zork » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:38 am

So I was thinking about artists like Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams, 3 Doors Down, Creed and the like - that super boring radiofriendly commercial mainstream stuff. They have obviously a completely different perception of music than me and probably all of us, but I don't believe they are not ambitious musicians or that they are emotionally disconnected from their œuvre. They all also have long spanning careers with dozens of album releases and I was wondering if somewhere between all this crap were hiding some true gems.

I was asking myself: Did someone like Bon Jovi ever get adventurous and sneaked a 15 minute psych jam in? Did a band like Creed ever have a moment of unexpected inspiration and wrote a song that could bring a tear to my eye? Has a band like Matchbox Twenty ever released a riff so nasty and heavy that Tony Iommi himself stood in awe? Is there something I could love among the bland and stupid?

If there are any, what are some unexpectedly great and weird songs of the most tedious mainstream acts you know?

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Unexpectedly weird and great songs of tedious mainstream acts?

Post by sal paradise » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:02 am

Not sure I agree with your definition of mainstream & tedious. You’ve covered a pretty wide spectrum of rock music there.

Also, Bon Jovi & Bryan Adams - those are greatest hits albums I could jam with.

I’m the kind of person who will defend to the death The Eagles’ right to deliberate try and write the best pop songs ever. They were serious musicians & they put in the hours on songwriting.

I have a 7” of All For Love by Sting, Rod Stewart & Bryan Adams. So YMMV.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:32 am

I see what you mean and I have a huge soft spot for the Dire Straits myself. Still I wouldn't argue that they are musically very exiting, you know? Being tedious or boring doesn't necessarily mean it's all totally bad, you know. Just a little ...bland, maybe?
Can we agree on Bon Jovi being a mainstream band?
:)

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:36 am

so i kinda hate all buttrock...... but if blurry - puddle of mud comes on, i'll usually enjoy it for a bit..... not as much as the DJ cummerbund mashup though.
blurry in the usa
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Nudger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nudger » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:23 pm

Maze of love - Dave clark 5

Out of character for these guys is a great slab of fuzzy freakbeat.

More known for their pop offerings, glad allover/bits and pieces etc. these guys wernt on my radar..

Even tho in the 60s they wiped the floor "sales wise" with my heroes who/pretythings/yardbirds etc :derp: