Paul Davids YouTube guitar tutorials

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Paul Davids YouTube guitar tutorials

Post by sal paradise » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:08 pm

Massive geeky channel. This guy is so knowledgeable, passionate, and he can play. Find it really inspirational.

Videos like this one: How Paul Simon wrote the perfect chord progression make me really warm & happy inside.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Paul Davids YouTube guitar tutorials

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:27 pm

I love his videos. Such a humble and nice appearing guy with - as you say - high quality content! :)

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:32 pm

Yes, Paul Davids is wonderful.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Chippertheripper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Chippertheripper » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:38 pm

I read that as Paul Simonon and was expecting clash content. Le’ sad.

I will take in a few of his clips, I definitely need more theory in my pea brain.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:51 pm

His videos are a tad overproduced, but his content is good.

Eric Haugen is pretty good as well. He plays a vintage Mustang a lot of the time and has done videos on Marc Ribot’s techniques, as well as on Richard Lloyd’s style.
I thought that was pretty cool. A channel with a lot of viewers covering those guys, so I subbed.
I don’t watch a lot of guitar content overall. If I’m on YouTube, I’m either taking in news clips or watching live shows of bands I like.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:20 pm

Also a regular viewer of Paul and Eric's YT content. I really enjoy both. :)

Another one of my guitar-oriented YT favorites is Adrian of Anyone Can Play Guitar - such a gentle, unassuming soul. His teaching style really connects with me as well as a lot of his music genres/influences are right up my alley. Highly recommend!

Pretty Persuasion Lesson - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HgJetwjk2c

Dark & Moody Surf - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPLVmZTsgWA

Definitely someone I'd love to jam with. 8)
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:35 pm

Surfysonic wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:20 pm

Another one of my guitar-oriented YT favorites is Adrian of Anyone Can Play Guitar

Dark & Moody Surf - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPLVmZTsgWA

Definitely someone I'd love to jam with. 8)
Thanks, that‘s another great one! (And a great song too!)

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:43 pm

Interesting, I've seen his face from various trips around guitar YT, but there's always been something about his video titles and thumbnails that's kept me from ever giving him a chance. Loading up his channel right now, the first video on the page is titled "EPIC RIFFS | World's Most Iconic Riff - (I played it wrong)."

I'm just so tired of those caps lock clickbait titles, they usually have nothing of substance behind them. If he actually has insightful things to say, he missed the opportunity to say them to me by repulsing me.

"OSGer SHOCKED by VIDEO QUALITY (I totally missed out)."

The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:22 pm

Embenny wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:43 pm
Interesting, I've seen his face from various trips around guitar YT, but there's always been something about his video titles and thumbnails that's kept me from ever giving him a chance.
You know, I was watching the Driftwood Guitars' boys a lot yesterday, also very good stuff. They were reading some criticism and talked about how the thumbnail is basically what they have to communicate to the world with, at least at first. If they don't grab your attention with that you won't click on the link, you'll click on another, and it really doesn't matter how good the actual content is if they can't get you to give it a chance via thumbnail.

That's just the reality of Youtube, and as the father of two young kids, I can pretty confidently tell you that Youtube is the future.

And honestly a good thumbnail conveys a lot, there's a lot of stuff on Youtube that is good, but the production quality might be a guy with his iPhone and he's recording himself steam a guitar neck off but you never see anything but his hands.

That is what it is- it might be just what you need.

But at the same time, if they've put effort into having an engaging and likely professionally done thumbnail, chances are good that they've put the same care into the rest of it.

Which Paul Davids has, he's talented, engaging, informative and why not give it a chance already.

He's also self-deprecating and put up a performance of his when he was a young man where he criticizes his guitar playing. He's the real deal.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:03 pm

You're totally right. I watch more YouTube than TV/streaming right now, and I know that the stupid faces, caps lock, etc all drive traffic.

I guess I just have a lower threshold for that stuff with guitar, because those useless titles ("MOST EPIC RIFF!") usually lead to videos of someone playing Smoke On The Water or some other massively-overdone song with hot takes like, "so much is communicated with so few notes."
The artist formerly known as mbene085.